Is there anyway In seeing if its stolen or not?
    04-24-09 10:45 PM
    Call Verizon with the ESN. They can tell you if clear to be activated.
    04-24-09 10:46 PM
    Two options, do as mentioned above, get a photo of the ESN number on the phone, check with verizon, and make sure to compare that ESN to the phone you actually get when you pick it up.

The best option is to meet the seller at a verizon store and make the exchange right there while activating the phone. Verizon rep can activate the phone and make sure it works before you pay the seller.
    04-24-09 11:01 PM

The best option is to meet the seller at a verizon store and make the exchange right there while activating the phone. Verizon rep can activate the phone and make sure it works before you pay the seller.
    I would use this option.
    04-24-09 11:05 PM
    My wife bought one off CraigsList and we met the seller at Verizon. If the seller is hesitant to do this with you it should tell you something about them or the phone!

Since, we've had a great experience with her phone.
    04-24-09 11:15 PM
    Also I've seen people suggest on here that you meet up with the person at a verizon and they can check the esn there. And if they won't meet you at a verizon it is most likely stolen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-09 11:17 PM
    To answer the OP's question, I agree with these folks that say meet at a Verizon Store and have the ESN checked.

Personally, I would never buy anything from Craigslist because it is definitely a case of 'buyer-beware':
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/tur...t-card-214209/

Also I've seen people suggest on here that you meet up with the person at a verizon and they can check the esn there. And if they won't meet you at a verizon it is most likely stolen.

04-25-09 08:32 AM
    Ive sold phones on Craigslist.....I went out of my way to make sure they could check everything out for themselves to give them piece of mind......no matter what, meet at a public place of course.
    04-25-09 09:12 AM
    Where do you get ESN #?

04-25-09 09:29 AM
    I bought a DARE off of craigslist about a month before the Storm was released. I met with the seller and call Verizon, and they activated the phone before any money was exchanged.

Your best bet.
    04-25-09 11:05 AM
    Yea, most "legit" sellers will openly provide the ESN number to avoid getting an email "whats the ESN so i can make sure this is legit..."
    04-25-09 11:10 AM
    Another vote for getting the ESN ahead of time and checking with Verizon. I sell phones all the time on craigslist, and I always offer the ESN to make sure they can activate it.
    04-25-09 11:20 AM
    I always clear things up before selling any phones on CL. I know that's just me but some people sell stolen stuff.
    04-25-09 11:26 AM
    Is there anyway In seeing if its stolen or not?
    I bought mine off ebay. In researching the same concerns, the advises mention in this thread are all valid.

1) Ask him for ESN, but more importantly make sure he is the owner of the BB PIN. You might be able to activate the phone but can't use the BB email service because the PIN is locked

2) Have him meet you at the verizon store. They can verify and do the transfer at the same time. Once successful, you can then pay him.

3) ESN is only valid for VZW. So, get it unlock and use it for Tmobile or AT&T heehhe. Bad ESN still sell well on ebay, around 300+ dollars
    04-25-09 11:35 AM
    you see but the phone is unlocked and my friend wants to connect it with t mobile
    04-25-09 12:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD