I got the Storm on Christmas and since then I have noticed there are new scratches everyday. I see all these videos showing how scratch proof it is but mine is scratching from just being in and out of my pocket. I heard it comes with a clear cover over the screen maybe removing that would help? (maybe the glass is unscratchable and not the cover?)
    01-02-09 10:38 PM
    This may be pushing it, but can you post up a chronology of days using pictures? If so, you would have a very compelling argument and could stir up quite a pot. (IE: Take an angle shot on day one, on day two take another shot of the same part of it and point out the scratches).
    01-02-09 10:41 PM
    There are 2 screen covers that come with it. Remove both of them. The screen is scratchable, that's a joke. The iPhone is scratchable too. Just get a case for it.
    01-02-09 10:41 PM
    I haven't taken pictures of it day to day (although would have been a good idea.) Is the second cover the really thin one? That is barely noticeable?
    01-02-09 10:45 PM
    I got the Storm on Christmas and since then I have noticed there are new scratches everyday. I see all these videos showing how scratch proof it is but mine is scratching from just being in and out of my pocket. I heard it comes with a clear cover over the screen maybe removing that would help? (maybe the glass is unscratchable and not the cover?)
    um, yes, remove the clear plastic, very scratchable, film your device ships with. it is essentially packaging. the screen underneath is not made of diamonds, but it is pretty darn scratch resistant.

oh, and i bet you find the image quality much improved too.
    01-02-09 10:46 PM
    Only scratches i'm seeing more and more of are on the battery door cover, and the bottom silver trim is showing some black scratches.. Great.
    01-02-09 10:47 PM
    Oh my god, I just removed it and thank god it wasn't the screen just the clear plastic! It was so thin I didn't even notice it till today where one part of it was starting to bubble and I thought it was a defect of the screen. Thanks for the rapid help and not going ballistic on me for such a dumb thing. Great site, thanks guys!
    01-02-09 10:50 PM
    Oh my god, I just removed it and thank god it wasn't the screen just the clear plastic! It was so thin I didn't even notice it till today where one part of it was starting to bubble and I thought it was a defect of the screen. Thanks for the rapid help and not going ballistic on me for such a dumb thing. Great site, thanks guys!
    Go to a Verizon store and pick up a pack of three screen protectors for $10 to protect the screen. One trick to getting it on without any lint/dust is to clean the screen with a lint free cloth, use compressed air to remove any stray dust on the screen and install the protector in your bathroom after running the shower on hot to steam the room up a bit. The steam will weigh down any dust int he air giving you a "dust free" work area.
    01-02-09 10:54 PM
    Great idea, I also saw that invishield (I think thats what its called) Suppose to be really good not sure though. Will this screen scratch from just moving in and out of my pocket though? Like my friends iPhone was basically unscratchable. Not like we took a knife to it or anything but you get the point.
    01-02-09 10:58 PM
    Go to a Verizon store and pick up a pack of three screen protectors for $10 to protect the screen. One trick to getting it on without any lint/dust is to clean the screen with a lint free cloth, use compressed air to remove any stray dust on the screen and install the protector in your bathroom after running the shower on hot to steam the room up a bit. The steam will weigh down any dust int he air giving you a "dust free" work area.
    I just wiped mine down with supplied cloth and it applied just fine.. haha Mine only took me 15 seconds:-P
    01-02-09 11:00 PM
    i somehow got 2 small scratches on the top next to the word "blackberry" although theyre small my eyes go right to them every time i look at the phone. very annoying. im considering buying a new top piece i saw one some website that sells storm parts... hmm maybe.
    01-02-09 11:00 PM
    I got the verizon 3 pack of screen protectors just to be on the safe side. I don't want to think about the screen getting scratched.
    01-02-09 11:07 PM
    Great idea, I also saw that invishield (I think thats what its called) Suppose to be really good not sure though. Will this screen scratch from just moving in and out of my pocket though? Like my friends iPhone was basically unscratchable. Not like we took a knife to it or anything but you get the point.
    The screen protectors can scratch BUT they are not easy to scratch like simply taking it out of your pocket.
    01-02-09 11:11 PM
    What about the actual screen though?
    01-02-09 11:15 PM
    apparently the screen is made of glass. while not un-scratchable, it is pretty darn scratch resistant. if you saw the ces911 video of the dude trying to scratch his storm with a knife and other various objects it would further show how resistant to scratches it is. although i wouldnt recommend taking it to sandy environments (i.e.- the beach, sandbox, in a sandstorm, desert), throwing it into a pile of diamonds or broken glass.
    01-02-09 11:23 PM
    Good to know lol
    01-02-09 11:30 PM
    I just pulled my InvisibleShield (ZAGG | invisibleSHIELD | iPhone, iPod Cases, Screen Protectors, Covers, Shields, Skins, Invisible Shield) off and reapplied the VzW screen protector. I know I am about to open a can of worms but the VzW protectors seem to make the phone more responsive? AND the VzW protectors are so smooth. That may be the reason I perceive the performance improvement.

My other devices (DSLR, iPod, 8830) all have the InvisibleShield AND usually I swear by them. For this Blackberry, I must say I was surprised to be disappointed.

My two cents.

Happy New Year and I hope you enjoy your new phone.
    01-02-09 11:32 PM
    I use the OEM Blackberry Silicone case, so I just left the plastic film that is on the top and bottom of the phone. Since the case covers almost all of it by the buttons, and most on the top, you don't really even notice it. Keeps the Storm scratch free. Now if they could come up with a plastic film to protect those shiny buttons.....
    01-03-09 12:06 AM
    Don't have ANY scratches anywhere. Got mine day after launch & not a scratch on it!!!! I didn't hold it until my new screen protectors came (I used the mirror/reflective one) There aren't even any scratches on the body anywhere thanks to hard case I put on it from day one as well. I'm paranoid about such things & take steps from day 1 to prevent it.
    01-03-09 12:09 AM
    i read posts that say there are TWO stock protectors on the storm. I removed the first the day I got my storm (#2 by the way) and there is no evidence there is a second protective layer on it. Where do you get this information?
    01-03-09 12:14 AM
    i have found it pretty darn durable. personally i want the crystal clear image quality, so i won't bother with any kind of screen protector.
    01-03-09 12:17 AM
    I haven't had anything on my screen for a month now and she's still a beaut. With nothing on the screen it just feels so good, I always go unprotected. InvisShield every where else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-09 12:17 AM
    I agree that since I put my Verizon screen protector on my phone seems more responsive also.
    After badly scratching the screen on my pearl without protection-- I won't let my Storm go naked!
    01-03-09 12:35 AM
    i read posts that say there are TWO stock protectors on the storm. I removed the first the day I got my storm (#2 by the way) and there is no evidence there is a second protective layer on it. Where do you get this information?
    My Storms are the same way. It had one that covered the entire screen, then had a small sticker on that one with the button logos and whatnot on them. Neither of mine had two.
    01-03-09 01:08 AM
    ive had the plastic factory sticker off for a few weeks and its been great.

as passtheflask mentioned its not best to throw at a pile of sand or diamonds but just treat it like a phone and youll be fine
    01-03-09 01:10 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD