Well, the forum over at Vodafone is turning into a bloodbath

I hope for you guys the Verizon launch goes more smoothly than the Vodafone UK launch! After 5 years with Vodafone on a business account, their shabby treatment of my Storm pre-order has finally jolted me into action and I can take no more. I am moving across to another network asap and I as such I will not be able to get a Storm, although the Storm in it's first guise appears to have too many problems to make it feasable for someone who relies on round the clock communication for their livelihood.

I have learned a lot about the Storm (and BBs in general) from this forum - perhaps too much as I downloaded the Eclipse plugin for the SDK and developed a little test app last week - and I am thankful for the information I've gleaned.

The concept seems great and the loyal BlackBerry fanbase suggests that their repuation for solid, reliable devices has been earned and this is just a glitch. Perhaps I will be back in a few months when the firmware has been tweaked and the long-term viability of the Storm has been proven, but until then... goodbye, and good luck!
    11-17-08 10:12 AM
    Sorry to see you go but if Vodafone blew your fuses then so be it.

The Storm HAS to be right if it is to take a sigificant share of the iPhone market back from Apple. The press has been in a frenzy over Apple's claims of massive sales and outselling BlackBerry. Well, if RIM get the Storm right, then the trend should be at least checked if not reversed.

The iPhone is but one phone and it does some things very well indeed.

The BlackBerry range encompasses a wide range of devices and now with a touchphone, added to the range there is little that RIM now cannot do PROVIDED that two things happen.

- The software works and the browser is able to hold its own with that of the iPhone

- Carriers do not mess up the launch.

There is one other thing that the Storm needs and I have not yet seen it and that is a killer feature or application. Hopefully I have failed to notice this.

Meanwhile buy a dolphin and enjoy the free fish.
    11-17-08 10:26 AM
    That's too bad. I think that after a patch or two the 9500 will be good to go. It sucks that places still give bad customer service, especially in today's world.

Take care Monkey
    11-17-08 10:28 AM
    It would seem that Voda has concentrated so much on new customers with their deals & pre-orders that they've forgotten about existing ones....think thats the case with a lot of carriers though when new deals are offered.

Even though they have been advertising Storm for months & the whole "built for us" stuff they still seemed to be overwhelmed by it all, deliveries, store quantities & setting up accounts.

A lot of the comments I've read on their eforum are a mix of new customers who don't know alot about Blackberry & are asking all the usual e-mail setup type questions, things not working because their accounts aren't working correctly & some lags / reboots etc which looks like could be because of Vodaphones additional software they insist on installing.

I don't know how many people aren't happy with the Storm as not all the customers post on forums so not sure if its just a handful of problems or its across the 40k phones they sold (I think that was the number).

I think newer OS builds will sort out a few teathing problems & the Storm will be a great device....so hopefully you can get a Storm at some point Monkey...customer service has to be right straight away or you take your business elsewhere.
    11-17-08 10:48 AM
    Hate to see you go Nuts. Keep in mind, there is not a stable smartphone on the market unless you go with an older device. The iPhone and now Storm are the front runners when it comes to a touch screen device. The iPhone has been out a while now and they are still working to get it stable. I believe you will be back...it's just a shame that Vodafone doesn't offer the same level of customer service as their sister company VZW.
    11-17-08 11:06 AM
    [QUOTE=monkeynuts;982345]Well, the forum over at Vodafone is turning into a bloodbath

Well there goes 15 minutes of my life I'll never get back... Went to the UK Blackberry Vodafone forum and browsed and searched. No bloodbath to be found. A few folks with some glitches to report, a couple of people belly-aching about the gap that's necessary for the click-thru feature. Nothing at all like the absolute flood of malcontent when the iPhones were released with their much-slower than advertised web speed et al.

Some of the issues that are reported are possibly unique to the GSM or Vodafone version also. Not to say the Verizon version won't have an issue or two not present on the European version, but so far in watching this site over the last 4 days since the euro launch, I'm still all systems go to pick up mine on Friday :-)
    11-17-08 12:07 PM
    Time to grab some popcorn and curl up on the couch and via forums, follow those brave pioneers in the UK discovering the good and the bad about their handsets...

Chomp chomp, pass me a coke will ya!?

I laugh now but as soon as possible I will be 'pioneering' with an 8900...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-08 12:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD