After reading through many of these reviews from the so called mobile tech aficionados and one question always comes to mind. Why don't they cite which software/firmware their review model was running. They all complain about buggy/laggy OS, but what about the latest OS updates that most have been saying are forthcoming? To be fair, this was a big gripe when the Iphone was first released, but Apple has slowly made improvements. Are we not to believe a company with the reputation RIM has in the cell phone industry will not improve this OS? I seem to think the will and possibly quicker than Apple did.
    11-20-08 05:26 PM
    That's EXACTLY what I think of upon reading all these reviews. Everyone want's to judge a JUST RELEASED product compared with one that has years under its belt with update upon update. Bottom line is you can't compare it. It kinda reminds me of how people knocked the PS3 when it first came out comparing it to the 360. You can't compare something like that. Of course we can go on forever about stuff like this but people just don't get it in their thick skulls. I have no doubt that the Storm will be AT LEAST 2-3 times better than it ALREADY is in just a couple weeks time. I'll just stop there cause I could go on forever.
    11-20-08 05:38 PM
    Most buyers are fickle and don't know what they actually want.

That's why you see all these stupid "convince me" posts.

So they get a whiff that some early OS that isn't even releasing in the US had some issues and they are ready to bolt...
    11-20-08 05:40 PM
    I think what's getting to me the most is all these "iphone users" reviews. They just can't seem to keep that stinking word out of there most when reviewing. ITS NOT THE IPHONE. IF I WANTED AN IPHONE, I'D GO GET AND IPHONE. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an iphone hater, it just erks me when people don't do things properly.
    11-20-08 06:17 PM
    I don't mind some of the iPhone comparison reviews, as far as figuring out what features you want or need in a device as a decision to which carrier and phone you will target.

One of the Storm video reviews I saw recently did a good job of this (forgot which site).

However, I will say this. I think VZ screwed up not including wifi (I would assume VZ sends the feature requests to RIM, not the other way around). They ruled out a lot of customers based on this one decision alone.
    11-20-08 06:23 PM
    That's EXACTLY what I think of upon reading all these reviews. Everyone want's to judge a JUST RELEASED product compared with one that has years under its belt with update upon update. Bottom line is you can't compare it. It kinda reminds me of how people knocked the PS3 when it first came out comparing it to the 360. You can't compare something like that. Of course we can go on forever about stuff like this but people just don't get it in their thick skulls. I have no doubt that the Storm will be AT LEAST 2-3 times better than it ALREADY is in just a couple weeks time. I'll just stop there cause I could go on forever.
    Sure you can compare.
    It's not like the options are to buy a Storm or travel one year in the past and buy an iPhone.

You're looking at what the two are today. Which is better? Which is more powerful? What the iPhone was a year ago is completely irrelevant.

Also, if you want to spend $200 plus make a 2 year commitment of $100 a month to something that you hope will be better, well, you have more faith than I do. Most of the issues the reviews cite have been complaints for months, with RIM saying "we'll have it fixed for launch." Now it's "we'll have it fixed after launch."
    I don't buy something on potential, I buy it based on ability.
    11-20-08 06:24 PM
    Also, if you want to spend $200 plus make a 2 year commitment of $100 a month to something that you hope will be better, well, you have more faith than I do. Most of the issues the reviews cite have been complaints for months, with RIM saying "we'll have it fixed for launch." Now it's "we'll have it fixed after launch."
    The iPhone3g was in the exact same boat at it's launch (tons of network and crashing problems)...

Also Apple played round-a-bout and wouldn't own up the problems for a long, long time. RIM on the other hand has, and it hasn't launched in the US yet.

Based on that logic no one should have gotten it either.
    11-20-08 06:26 PM
    I think everybody is going to have to make their own judgment.
    11-20-08 06:26 PM
    Who made out better with the iPhone?
    The people that ran out, waited overnight, and got it the first day, only to have it keep crashing?
    Or the people that waited 4 months for the software to be perfected and the price to drop 50%?
    11-20-08 06:27 PM
    Because they are getting paid by JOBS.....suck cow nutz
    11-20-08 06:30 PM
    By that same note if you wait a year after launch it will be cheaper, more apps, more stable, etc.

It's just a matter of balancing your PERSONAL preferences of how early you want something vs how developed it is.

Basically it doesn't have that much to do with the phone itself and you have no guarantee that X phone will drop 50% in cost in a short time period in most cases.
    11-20-08 06:30 PM
    AND another thing people have to stop comparing it to a FRICKEN iphoneeeeeeeee
    11-20-08 06:31 PM
    You know after reading countless negative reviews and thread upon thread of people complaining about them, a few things come to mind...

Does it really freaking matter what other people think?

Does it really matter, TO YOU, if Joe Blow down the street is buying a Storm or not?

Does it really matter if your colleagues think that your Storm isn't as good as their iPhone?

Does it really matter, TO YOU, if the Storm becomes a larger icon of pop culture, or has more success than the iPhone?

Ask yourself these questions - the answers will tell a lot about the type of person that you are.

Myself, I want this device because it will do everything I need and want it to - text, email, web browse, docs to go, media w/ better-than-iPhone camera...the list goes on and on. I could care less what my friends, family, or coworkers' opinion of my device is.

To make a long story short, it shouldn't make one bit of difference what a review says or what someone's opinion is based on a 10 second demo at a VZW store. It will be YOUR device and YOU have to like it...if you form your opinion solely on what other's think than your problems in life are too large for any of us to fix.

...take reviews with a grain of salt...
    11-20-08 06:31 PM
    Sure you can compare.
    It's not like the options are to buy a Storm or travel one year in the past and buy an iPhone.

You're looking at what the two are today. Which is better? Which is more powerful? What the iPhone was a year ago is completely irrelevant.

You've obviously never owned a Blackberry.
    11-20-08 06:32 PM
    You know after reading countless negative reviews and thread upon thread of people complaining about them, a few things come to mind...

Does it really freaking matter what other people think?

Does it really matter, TO YOU, if Joe Blow down the street is buying a Storm or not?

Does it really matter if your colleagues think that your Storm isn't as good as their iPhone?

Does it really matter, TO YOU, if the Storm becomes a larger icon of pop culture, or has more success than the iPhone?

Ask yourself these questions - the answers will tell a lot about the type of person that you are.

Myself, I want this device because it will do everything I need and want it to - text, email, web browse, docs to go, media w/ better-than-iPhone camera...the list goes on and on. I could care less what my friends, family, or coworkers' opinion of my device is.

To make a long story short, it shouldn't make one bit of difference what a review says or what someone's opinion is based on a 10 second demo at a VZW store. It will be YOUR device and YOU have to like it...if you form your opinion solely on what other's think than your problems in life are too large for any of us to fix.

...take reviews with a grain of salt...
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Sorry for the double post.
    11-20-08 06:35 PM
    Well, I have RIMM stock so yes, most of those matter. But not for the reasons you were trying to get at with the post
    11-20-08 06:36 PM
    Ok so I decided to take a ride to my local CC and see for MYSELF how this device performs. Luckily they had one and I was able to mess with it for about 30 minutes.
    First thing was to check OS version it was running .61 which seems ancient by most accounts around here.
    It did seem a bit laggy and slow and it froze up a few times but I attributed that to the older OS version.
    The screen is fantastic on this phone. I watched a trailer of some upcoming Vin Diesel movie(can't remember name) looked great. The weight and feel is very solid and feels like you are handling a sweet piece of tech.
    The browser was reasonably speedy, I actually went to CNET website to show the manager not everyone is fawning over the Storm LOL
    Like most have mentioned here, the clickable screen will take some getting used to. I am not ready to say that I hated using it, but I can see where concerns were raised in many reviews. For me it wasn't bad, but it wasn't awesome either. Typing is not as seamless as I envisioned, and it will not be as fast as a physical QWERTY. With some acclimation I don't see it as a major flaw, but for texting heavy users it may not be ideal.
    Ultimately I would say the innovation is there but the execution may have just missed.
    I opened almost all of the features without any problems and overall navigation was enjoyable. Like any device like this, it will take some time and practice with the UI to feel efficient.
    Overall, I am still not sure I will buy this phone. If so, this will be my first BB/smartphone. I am excited about the notion of owning a BB but not sure Storm is the right one.

Funny side note: After finishing up with the Storm I told the VZW rep that you can update the OS version OTA. He said "I have been trying to update this thing all afternoon". He even showed me the VZW handout instructions for updating OTA. He gave me the phone back and said here you try. I was like ok.
    Again this is the first time I have ever handled a BB device. In any case, I updated the OS OTA. Simply followed the instructions, He was like "how come it worked for you", Thanks"! It updated to .65 and this was about 8pm tonight, so I am thinking that is the latest for now.
    11-20-08 08:26 PM
    It's funny to see ppl say they are confident that RIM will fix these issues at launch. Tell that to the vodafone storm owners. lol
    11-20-08 08:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD