Old model- Mexico5 PRD-19502

replacement - Canada1 PRD- 21009

Even though the tech said they are shipping me a new one with all the packaging and accessories that come with it I got the brown box with just the phone. Anyway...

I THINK the clicking is better on the new replacement model but there is more backlight bleeding at the top and the left of the Storm on the new one.

I ran the "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog test" until my fingers became numb and it seemed that the new Canada model had a better rate of success typing wise then my old Storm.

However, I watched a ripped 720p version of the Watchmen trailer on both phones and it seems that the colors on the new Storm are AWFUL compared to my crappy click Mexico one.

I'm so torn on what to do here. Should I call Verizon and tell them to send me a replacement for the replacement and hope that solves my issues?
    12-12-08 03:17 PM
    Old model- Mexico5 PRD-19502

replacement - Canada1 PRD- 21009

Even though the tech said they are shipping me a new one with all the packaging and accessories that come with it I got the brown box with just the phone. Anyway...

I THINK the clicking is better on the new replacement model but there is more backlight bleeding at the top and the left of the Storm on the new one.

I ran the "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog test" until my fingers became numb and it seemed that the new Canada model had a better rate of success typing wise then my old Storm.

However, I watched a ripped 720p version of the Watchmen trailer on both phones and it seems that the colors on the new Storm are AWFUL compared to my crappy click Mexico one.

I'm so torn on what to do here. Should I call Verizon and tell them to send me a replacement for the replacement and hope that solves my issues?
    My replacement is horrible compared to my original. Not happy at all. I am thinking about getting a replacement for my replacement as well. I do not know what to do tho.
    12-12-08 03:26 PM
    I am on my third replacememnt, and while I liked my first storm the best as far as the clicking goes, I am completely satisfied with my newest unit.. everything seems to work, and the color is better than my second, tho not as good as my first, all from the 19xx series Canada....
    12-12-08 03:50 PM
    My replacement is sweet. The screen click is fixed (which, to my surprise, makes it easier to type). I notice a little screen bleeding, but my screen seems so much brighter. I've only had it a day, but no complaints so far.
    12-12-08 06:21 PM
    I just talked to a rep online. She said that even if it comes in a brown box, it is still a new, unused phone. They just got a bunch like that to save time and money. The phone is too new to have refurbs already.
    She said that RIM/Verizon set aside a lot of extra phones just for this purpose.
    Really, why do you need a replacement CD, charger, and headset. All you want is the new phone.
    12-12-08 06:33 PM
    Just walked into best buy got my storm replaced and it seems perfect so far click and all.

old 19502-002 location ?
    new 19502-002 Canada
    Last edited by jmw102602; 12-12-08 at 06:41 PM.
    12-12-08 06:37 PM
    It could be possible that the phones in the brown box ARE new, but they skipped the regular packaging process to speed up the replacement process.
    12-12-08 10:34 PM
    I received my replacement today and it is 100 time better then my original unit. It's a Canada build Prod# 21009-002. Screen clicks great, very minimal light bleed from the screen (almost non existent except for a few pin hole size spots) and the color on it...wow, much better then my original. It came with .75 pre loaded on it too and the response is great. I am very happy with my replacement. I was hesitant in getting one but I am happy that I did.
    12-15-08 02:39 PM
    i think some people are really just into nit picking, the differences and gripes are sooooo petty it is ridiculous.
    12-15-08 02:43 PM
    Got my replacement today as well. It came in the full retail, sealed box. It's from Mexico (orig was Canada). My screen click was fine, but I had it replaced because the backlight on the back button would come on and stay on after the phone was idle for a couple minutes.

A couple of things I noticed (I left it at home to charge, so I don't have it in front of me).

- The bottom 4 physical buttons are HARD to press on the new one
    - The light bleed above the green button is significantly brighter on the new one, but around the screen it's a bit less
    - On the battery cover, on the blue shipping film, there is a bar code cut out SCOTCH TAPED onto it. (?!) I don't recall what the bar code was, but I'll have another look-see later. I don't remember that on my original, but I could be wrong.
    - Inside, under the battery cover, just below the SD card (bottom right corner), where there is the cutout, there is a Sharpie dot on the silver.

Anybody else seen this stuff?
    12-15-08 02:51 PM
    When we receive retail replacements, do we keep the old simcard, memcard, and battery, and send our old phone back with all of the new accessories?
    12-15-08 02:53 PM
    i went today to get my mexico one replaced and they said they wouldnt. im pissed.
    12-15-08 02:55 PM
    I would keep getting them replaced till you are satisfied, you are the one spending the money so you should be happy with what you get.
    12-15-08 03:01 PM
    When we receive retail replacements, do we keep the old simcard, memcard, and battery, and send our old phone back with all of the new accessories?
    Their documentation says to keep all the new stuff and send back the old stuff, however when I spoke with them the CS rep agreed that it made more sense to keep the old stuff, UNLESS that particular item had any issues. The SIM card is difficult to remove so I suggest you keep the new SIM. As for the SD card I strongly suggest you keep the old one unless you have nothing saved on it. As for the other stuff it's up to you. I think the main thing is that they get back 1 of everything elsewise they charge you. I would have LOVED to keep both chargers, but the rep wasn't biting when I suggested that "for my troubles" And I did not push the issue.
    12-15-08 03:08 PM
    Their documentation says to keep all the new stuff and send back the old stuff, however when I spoke with them the CS rep agreed that it made more sense to keep the old stuff, UNLESS that particular item had any issues. The SIM card is difficult to remove so I suggest you keep the new SIM. As for the SD card I strongly suggest you keep the old one unless you have nothing saved on it. As for the other stuff it's up to you. I think the main thing is that they get back 1 of everything elsewise they charge you. I would have LOVED to keep both chargers, but the rep wasn't biting when I suggested that "for my troubles" And I did not push the issue.
    So does this mean I have to send back one SD card and one battery no matter what?
    12-15-08 03:12 PM
    Got my replacement today. New model from Canada. Works great. Mine came in a brown box just the phone and a sim card. You can take the old one back to a store like i did. CS rep told me i could do this. i feel better about doing it this way instead of putting it in the mail and hoping they get it.
    12-15-08 04:05 PM
    So does this mean I have to send back one SD card and one battery no matter what?
    Yes that is what I was told, although several others are now claiming verizon is letting them keep the extras. To be sure I would call them and get a clear answer in your case. When I was asking around here before I called several folks told me of them being charged for accessories they did not return. Probably worth a call.
    12-15-08 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD