Haha... as a college student myself I had to laugh at this. I have no problem texting in class (sitting in the back helps a lot). HOWEVER... try texting when you're driving! Nearly impossible, unless you type at turtle speed. This is a good thing though... Just don't do it. Word is texting causes more accidents than drunk driving!
    yeah but when you dont have to look its not a problem... ive gotten dirty looks holding up the storm above the wheel trying to keep it up in my field of vision lol. i use suretype but ill come to a weird word where ill need to go qwerty and its like "oh no i m gonna diieee"
    12-11-08 10:26 AM
    Im coming off a Treo 700 so Im used to the QWERTY. Im also already used to the click. I like it and Im getting quicker. I really never used sure type so texting while driving is impossible.

That leads me to this question: Is there a 'canned response' app out there? I tried putting phrases into the dictionary but it didnt work. On my Treo, there was a 'my text' option with phrases: On my way, In a meeting....

Also, what about smiley's for SMS? Anything out there??
    Last edited by Carbon Coupe; 12-11-08 at 10:28 AM. Reason: sp
    12-11-08 10:27 AM
    I'm doing pretty well. Sometimes, I still accidentally hit the P when I want to hit the O. Sort of a lazy thumb issue (not reaching far enough). On occasion, I hit the backspace when I'm trying for the L key (that happens both in SureType and QWERTY). Now that I think about it, my left thumb almost never misses its target; most of my mistakes are with my right thumb. Interesting.

Anyway, I've just started playing around with the SureType more frequently, but I'm getting to like it now. At first, I was pretty slow at SureType because I had to keep moving my thumbs out of the way to see where each key was that I was aiming for. Now I'm starting to just know which keys have which letters and which thumbs I want to use for them. When using two thumbs in SureType mode, I sometimes hesitate on the middle row because I can't decide which thumb to use. I'm just now starting to use both thumbs in the middle row, a decided difference in approach from full QWERTY where I try to never cross over.

All in all, I'm liking it. My wife was having issues for a while, too (she has practiced less than I have), but I can tell that she's now getting the hang of it. I think it has been a bit harder for her to get used to typing on it because of her fingernails. She has to use the pads or sides of her thumbs rather than the tips. Unfortunately, she is frustrated with other aspects of the phone (bugs, randon resets/freezes, dropped calls, bad signal in buildings where her old phone had no trouble) so it might be getting exchanged for something different (a Pearl or Curve, perhaps) this weekend.

I love mine, despite the bugs, and I plan to just keep getting better at typing. I have noticed that when I sometimes get to typing really fast, the device lags behind and I have to wait for it to catch up to see what I typed. this is mostly when I'm typing on a web form (like posting to Crackberry forums, for example), but rarely do I type fast enough for that to happen when I'm sending an email.

-SR-

PS: I had a folded business card behind my battery plate, but just took it out today. I'm trying to get used to the phone without any bandaid fixes for the screen. Funny thing is, a little earlier I had forgotten that I took the card out and was typing on the phone. It felt just fine. I know the difference is real, but perhaps it is somewhat a perception thing for me.

Edit: I need to put the card back in. It's much better that way.
    Last edited by WarER4X; 12-11-08 at 10:34 AM.
    12-11-08 10:29 AM
    I love typing now ! I came from a Samsung r410 and type faster with SureType than with qwerty that was on that phone!
    Good job rim!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 11:07 AM
    Its getting better...I prefer the QWERTY keyboard though.
    12-11-08 11:16 AM
    I came from the Pearl, so I obviously use the Sure-Type keyboard a lot more. I'm really fast with it, and it only took a few days for my thumb to learn where all the keys are on the screen, and yes I can dictate a 160 character SMS without having to look at the phone. Just have to make sure my hand is in the right spot by using the micro-usb port as a reference.

Full Qwerty, well I'm getting better, but not quite there yet....
    12-11-08 11:18 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD