So just wondering I text probably 30-100 times a day and recieve the same amount back. I save all my messages I never delete them so I just wanna know hom many text can the storm store before its full ??? and If anyone knows a number I'd be interested in knowing cause right now I probably have a couple thousand
    03-31-09 10:34 PM
    well, the curve only had about 90 Mb of memory, and I did a data transfer for a co-worker the other day that had over 5200. Considering the Storm has over 10x the amount of memory... I would say the final number would be..... A LOT. yer not even close if you only have a couple thousand.
    03-31-09 10:40 PM
    You can probably keep going till your entire 8GB card is full but why? I didnt delete any for about 2 weeks and notice my storm was laggier while messaging. Deleted most of them and all better.
    03-31-09 10:41 PM
    I have about 6,000 SMS on my phone right now, runs like a dream....takes a few extra minutes when doing a back up though, ha
    03-31-09 10:43 PM
    You can probably keep going till your entire 8GB card is full but why? I didnt delete any for about 2 weeks and notice my storm was laggier while messaging. Deleted most of them and all better.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Storm and other BB devices don't use the SD card for messages, only for data like MP3's, Pics, Videos.

That still doesn't answer your question. However, I had a Pearl before the Storm and I notice that the Storm can hold a significantly larger number of messages than the Pearl or any other BB I've owned for that matter.
    03-31-09 10:50 PM
    As a technician/ cust svc rep for Verizon... the only thing I ever liked about the Pearl was my job security. No offense to anyone who has had one, or even just likes them... So little memory you almost could NOT go without an sd card
    03-31-09 10:56 PM
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Storm and other BB devices don't use the SD card for messages, only for data like MP3's, Pics, Videos.

That still doesn't answer your question. However, I had a Pearl before the Storm and I notice that the Storm can hold a significantly larger number of messages than the Pearl or any other BB I've owned for that matter.
    yes this is true, the storm does not store texts on the media card.

op, how much free memory do you have currently? just keep an eye on your free memory and if it begins getting low then you might have to delete some... why would you want to keep them for that long anyways? when was the last time you actually needed to go back and check for a message you sent like 9 months ago?
    03-31-09 11:11 PM
    sorry if this has been answered but on my storm i put to keep the messages for 15days and i still have sms that are older.. is there a way to auto delete sms messages
    03-31-09 11:56 PM
    I got as high as 7000 or so SMS/MMS messages, and relized that my phone was kinda slow. So I went through and trimmed it down to a meager 3000 and gained about 4 megs of FileFree. Sped my phone up alot. ...... For what its worth .....

*EDIT*
    Forgot to mention something else I discovered in this area. Even though you may have your phone set to only display the last 5 or 10 messages worth of history in an SMS conversation, i believe it still threads them all up, but just only shows you that last 5 or 10. In other words, as long as you keep hitting reply to the last one they sent you instead of starting a new conversation with a newly composed message, it links them all together into one long conversation. I started just going to "compose new message" once in a while with people I chat with regularly, rather than replying all the time and making giant hundred-message-long threads in memory and that sped up keyboard lag alot, and seems to eat up less FileFree. Just my experience.
    Last edited by DoinItWright; 04-01-09 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Forgot the second half of what I was gonna say. :o)
    04-01-09 01:33 AM
    SMS cannot be stored on the card, only on the 128mb of device application memory. Currently i have about 5000., and thats using about 1.5mb of memory. I have about 80 mms messages which is using around 18mb of memory, so deleting mms's will free up memory and allow you to store more sms's.
    04-01-09 02:24 AM
    As a technician/ cust svc rep for Verizon... the only thing I ever liked about the Pearl was my job security. No offense to anyone who has had one, or even just likes them... So little memory you almost could NOT go without an sd card
    I'm not certain I understand the correlation between the Pearl and Storms free file considering a memory card is a moot point in terms of SMS.
    04-01-09 02:29 AM
    I delete daily. Forward important messages to email. Old habit from pearl days I guess.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 02:32 AM
    I just recently had to wipe my device for messages that I had stored and I got up to about 33,400 sms not including emails or mms...I never delete them or forgot to so I couldnt send messages and any messages were going to the sim card which was also full
    03-25-11 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD