First post =]

I noticed the same thing happening to my storm a couple of weeks ago. It did it while I was in the locker room of my school, then when I checked my phone again after I had gone into another part of the building, it was back to the 160 "field full" thing. I noticed it did it again the next day. I eventually realized it just does it when I don't have any service, and it says SOS.

I think the reason is that when you don't have service, it saves it to drafts (if I'm not mistaken). So, the storm is letting you have like 6 drafts I think. But once you have service again, the phone only lets you have one message of 160 characters.

I hope this clears up some confusion! =]
    05-04-09 07:52 PM
    Covered on Gizmodo today, I guess it's pretty arbitrary.

I always thought text messages were limited to 160 measly characters because of some archaic pre-1970s technical standard. But apparently, it's because some German dude thought 160 was "perfectly sufficient."

Friedham Hillebrand was a communications researcher who was working with a group on developing a standard for cellphones to send and receive text messages. So he sat down on his typewriter and banged out a bunch of random sentences and questions, counted up the number of characters it took, and decided 160 was the magic number. I'm actually somewhat curious as to how an old German dude would've come up with messages that short in the days before ROFLcopters swarmed in the sky.

Anyways, as chairman of GSM's nonvoice services committee he came up with the idea of backdooring the messages in the radio channels phone already used to figure out reception stength—which initially limited them to 128 characters, not the 160 Hillebrand had decided was perfect. After some serious tweaking, they raised the limit 160 characters. Then he forced every carrier to support SMS, or die in a fiery fire of doomy doom. Friedham Hillebrand, modern-day hero.

Gizmodo - The Real Reason Text Messages Are 160 Characters - Why text messages are 160 characters
    05-04-09 08:00 PM
    Im not quite sure what is so hard for so many people to understand.

It's quite simple.

No single sms txt can be over 160characters. That is confirmed yes.

ALL THIS DOES IS CREATE in theory 6 txt messages that are 160characters each. Why is it limited and not work on the storm or other BB phones on VZW... I do not know. My buddy with a curve can do it on tmobile he gets the 1/6 and can continue typing.

So the phone/provider splits up your 960characters into 6 different text messages and then sends them. So you will be charged for 6 text messages sent.

It's pretty common sense. I just dont understand why VZW limits it on BB phones. Because other VZW phones can do it, and the BB's can do it on other services. It's some kind of messed up combination on the smart phones/bb's and VZW's service.
    05-04-09 08:28 PM
    I really wish this would get cleared up and I could type a text over 160 char. When you have a chatty texting girlfriend, creating new emails or MMS just to send longer messages gets really annoying. When she sends me 160+ i get it as one text, why can't I send her 160+?
    05-04-09 09:02 PM
    Just to clear up the dispute of the messaging restriction, it is phone based. I used to be an indirect agent for vzw and know that on my old lgvx8300 I could send messages way over the 160 mark. I know quite a few phones that could. The restriction is not on the network or with who you send it to. I'm not much into the technical aspects but I know some people got the message in one or two parts depending on the size. Must be in the software dependent on the maker
    07-14-09 07:57 PM
    Ok is this a 9530 issue because I get 6 x 160 for sms's

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 08:02 PM
    True. You're (^^) on a GSM network. All phones on the GSM networks can get the send 6 160 char. texts.
    My old 9400s could send up to 6 160 char messages to people in Verizon. If I were one character over sending it to another network, I'd get this long message back from Verizon.
    Thought I'd throw that in there.
    07-14-09 08:24 PM
    What radio mode are you in? Multipage SMS is usually a GSM capability. However, some Verizon phones do this. Most notably, the XV6800 can do multipage SMS out of the box. Wondering if the SMS limit changes depending what radio mode you're in... who knows.

you're right, i just switched it to gsm and it had multiple pages!
    07-14-09 08:44 PM
    Holy smokes! I've been dieing to get this! Verizon I love u but the little things u do **** ppl off lol but hmm that's strange mabey it will come out in a future leak

07-14-09 08:45 PM
    i had this happen to me when i first got my storm back in Jan running .75 and it was awesome then when it broke and i got my new one i could never get it back. someone needs to get the hack for it.
    07-14-09 09:54 PM
    There's an app that let's you have more than 160 characters but I don't want to spend the money on it

07-14-09 09:56 PM
    There's an app that let's you have more than 160 characters but I don't want to spend the money on it

Yeah, it's called beyond 160. It seems like a cool app,but it's priced a bit high IMO.
    07-14-09 10:19 PM
    So why not send an moms instead of sms? Its the same thing and it actually let's you do multiple pages. OP, are you surr you weren't responding to an mms txt?

07-15-09 12:13 AM
    So why not send an mms instead of sms? Its the same thing and it actually let's you do multiple pages. OP, are you surr you weren't responding to an mms txt?

07-15-09 12:14 AM
    Damn autocorrect lol

07-15-09 12:15 AM
    We def need a hack for that cause regular cell phones go over 160 they just send two messages!
    07-15-09 04:07 AM
    my old xv6700 from VZW allowed more then 160 characters...not sure why VZW doesnt allow that on their BB's. Would be nice to be able to type more especially since its to friends that dont have BB's.
    07-15-09 08:44 AM
    And if email is not your priority, you shouldn't have bought a BlackBerry.

Sorry, I'm just a little sour at those who haven't given the Storm a chance and are nit-picking over every little "problem".

I'm just saying that in RIM country, email takes precedence over SMS.
    Actually the phone is my priority, it's just nice that I am able to get my email too
    07-15-09 08:53 AM
    my old xv6700 from VZW allowed more then 160 characters...not sure why VZW doesnt allow that on their BB's. Would be nice to be able to type more especially since its to friends that dont have BB's.
    This is not a VZW limitation. It is a RIM limitation on CDMA devices. Alltel, Sprint, and every other CDMA carrier is subjected to this limitation. (Yes i know that the storm, 8830WE, and now tour you can switch over to GSM and the the 1/6, however upon switching back the phone will shorten the message prior to sending back to 160 characters.)
    07-15-09 10:16 AM
    The radio mode is the most logical explanation for this.
    07-15-09 10:35 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD