I have done multiple searches on this issue before posting, but couldn't find anything.

I have transferred some pictures from my computer to my Storm. I took these pictures with my Canon camera. These pictures are 6 to 10 megapixels each. Size of the file for each is 4mb to 6 mb or so. Both I and another guy who had the iPhone were recently showing a friend of ours the virtues of our respective devices. But when I tried to bring up the Canon pics I had loaded on the memory card in the Storm, the picture viewer was taking forever to load these pics and to switch between landscape and portrait mode. (otherwise, I have never had problems switching between modes in other apps)

Needless to say, I got slammed by the iPhone in this little demostration. It was kinda embarrassing, since the third person is currently trying to make a decision between the two phones.

Has anyone else had this problem? Are the files from my Canon pics too large? Is there an easy way to resize my camera pics so they work better on the Storm?

Thanks all!
    BTW, this is a great site!
    12-14-08 12:17 PM
    was the other guy opening up huge picture files... the bigger the file, the longer it will take.
    12-14-08 12:38 PM
    Make the pictures a realistic size. There is no need for pictures that large on a small screen like that.
    12-14-08 12:46 PM
    Open the folder that contains the pictures (wallpaper) that came with the Storm. Click on one, then hit the BB menu and select properties.

It will tell you the size in pixels of that photo.

You should resize your photo's to that size before uploading them to the phone.
    12-14-08 12:52 PM
    i am having the exact problems. picture size is probably the issue. try this, once one of the large pictures load, zoom in on it, once zoomed in on, the picture rotates super quickly. i assume when you try to rotate original picture it takes forever or locks up right?
    12-14-08 12:58 PM
    Resize your photos. I have a Canon 40D and I took a bunch of photos and resized them to the screen size so they pop up immediately. There is absolutely no reason to have a full-size photo on your phone.

I'd be willing to bet that your buddy with the iPhone doesn't have full-size photos because IPods, and I think iPhones both have their photos optimized by iTunes. I know my iPod does this so that you don't have huge files for a tiny screen.
    12-14-08 02:22 PM
    Yeah, just like everyone else has said. Those pics are way to big to be read quickly. I bet the other guy on the iphone had pics that were less than even 1mb. The bigger the slower. Regardless of device. I believe the Roxio program that loads up with DM will convert them for you if you transfer using that program.
    12-14-08 02:37 PM
    After resizing my photos, they went from approx 4MB to 30kb-80kb at 360X480.
    12-14-08 02:53 PM
    Yep. Resizing is the key. I use this link to do it:

Resize Images online
    12-14-08 03:02 PM
    I used PIXResizer and it works great. Just google it and you'll find it. What's nice is that you can do as many photos at one time that you'd like.
    12-14-08 03:06 PM
    Just a caution to the OP about resizing -- make sure you resize to a new image (i.e. give the resized image a new name). That way you will still have the large original for prints, etc. If you are on a PC Paint.net is a very capable free application that will allow resizing as well as some fairly sophisticated editing -- may as well spruce up your shots with auto levels and red-eye treatments before transferring them to the Storm I don't have enough posts to be able to post the URL - it is at www dot getpaint dot net/
    12-14-08 03:31 PM
    You could keep the same size, but lower the ppi to 72 instead of the native 240 or 300 ppi like my Nikon D200...your pc monitor only displays 72 ppi, so does your BlackBerry, probably...

Its a very easy way to seriously decrease file size w/o changing the dimension of the picture, which can sometimes cause image degradation depending on what software you use to do it...

Plus, if you upload pics to the web, it keeps people from taking_ your_ images and making large prints of them for themselves...well, they could, but it would look horrible...

Just my $.02.

-neil

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 04:53 PM
    Picture size isn't PROBABLY the issue it IS the issue....
    12-14-08 05:30 PM
    Thanks, all. I really appreciate the advice as I am a bit of an ***** when it comes to digital photography. I'm gonna give a couple of the suggestions a try.

Rich
    12-14-08 06:43 PM
    The word "1d1ot" gets blanked here???
    Who runs this site? The Puritans?
    12-14-08 06:45 PM
    the iPhone launches bigger files a little different what it does is that when you click to bring it up.. it will blow the thumbnail up to the screen size.. then after a bit it slowly starts loading in and getting more and more crisp..

with smaller size photos its quit a bit quicker on the iPhone almost instant.

But when you start dropping 4mb + photos on it they are slower on that phone as well. It just uses things to make it not seem as long to load the photo..

the storm does it a bit different instead of just popping up to show you a distorted pic it loads the entire image so you get the full clear pic right away.. I agree that the current build is slow at doing this and I expect that it will get quicker with more update tweaks..

The one thing I will warn you is don't take your storm into a media pissing contest with a iPhone.. The storm will crush the iPhones screen in picture quality but media on the iPhone is definitely years ahead of its time.
    12-14-08 06:49 PM
    having the storm and an Itouch, I can tell you that the itouch and presumably the iphone don't require resizing, which can be a hassle for a large number of photos. They seem to resize the photos automatically. The blackberry software has an option to "optimize" the size for the blackberry, but it doesn't seem to do enough to allow pause-less, crash-less viewing. anyway... i guess i'm going to have to do some resizing.... kinda annoying.
    01-16-09 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD