Slingbox for Storm 1 - works for some...
04-03-10 08:04 PM
- So, I haven't been very active here in the forum for quite a while, but the knowledgable folks here have helped me out before, so I'm hoping you can one more time, as well! Thanks in advance - again.
I've searched the forum, and have found that SOME users have been successful at using a Slingbox with their Storm 1. Yet others can't get it working at all.
I want to buy a Slingbox Solo and view my satellite TV on my S1. I know there's no official Storm version of the mobile player, but people have mentioned the Curve/Pearl version works on a limited basis. Can anyone clear up exactly how I (and others) can successfully do this? I don't want to bother with the purchase if it simply isn't going to work. I also don't currently have a router - which I'm told I'll need - so any suggestions? I'm really out of my element with this stuff, so again, thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.12-30-09 12:02 PM
- I use it on my Storm2 and it works just fine. First off, see this link:
SPM BETA on Blackberry Storm: Sling Community
Secondly, you said you don't have a router. You have to give the Sling box some sort of internet connection, so you will need to address that to. Do you have high speed internet yet?12-31-09 01:59 AM
- I have it working just fine on my S1. It only works in portrait mode, and you have to use the screen like its a trackball...but it works! The only issue I have is if my DirectTv reciever is off, and I try to turn it on via SlingPlayer, my phone will reboot. There really isn't any trick for getting it to work. Just install SlingPlayer mobile. I tried the free trial out until it expired. I then called Sling and asked if I purchased it, if I would get the officially supported version for S1/S2 when it becomes available. They said I would. So, now I'm running the paid version.
I didn't have my router near the DirecTv reciever I wanted to control, so I had to buy a SlingLink too. It uses my homes electrical network as a wired computer netork. Works great! PM me if you have any questions.12-31-09 10:56 AM
- Thanks guys. I'll be trying all this out in the next week or so. Yes, I do have high speed internet - and I should have mentioned that I DO have a router for it...BUT I need the ethernet jack on it for a constant connection with another device, AND the router isn't right next to the satellite receiver I want to use. So I'm assuming I'll need the Sling Link (or it is the Turbo?).
Anyway, thanks again, and I'll PM with any further questions.01-05-10 12:54 PM
- Ok, after all my research, I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a new Slingbox and single port Turbo link. I have an iPod Touch that I'm able to use with the mobile player. Problem is, it only works when in a WiFi zone. And just an hour ago, I got the mobile player (trial version) working on my BB Storm 1.
Can someone share any insight into how to use the controls for this thing? Not being used to the track ball navigation, it takes a while for me to get where I want. Specifically, what would help me out, is being able to simply type in the channel number of the channel I want to be watching. I've found the channel up and down controls - but that will take all day to get from low numbers to high ones.
Does anyone know how I can get to a menu/control that allows typing the channel number?03-09-10 11:52 AM
- a year ago, i couldnt believe that slingmedia hadnt released an app or made available a download for the blackberry storm or storm 2. now its not so much that i cant believe it…im just absolutely livid and totally disgusted and disapointed with slingmedia as a company. not sure if i should blame verizon or what but what a FAIL. how i bought a slingbox that worked with my pos motorola Q running windows mobile and now for over a year i cant get it to work on my blackberry storm 2, which really is a great phone, is just beyond me04-03-10 08:04 PM
- BlackBerry OS Phone Forums
- More BlackBerry Phones
- BlackBerry Storm
Slingbox for Storm 1 - works for some...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD