VZW peeps can help me with this. I understand that the Vodafone 9500 will be able to handle voice and data at the same time. I'm going to guess that this is due to a simple radio frequency split (data on 2100MHz, voice on 900/1800 etc), correct?

I'm curious as to what prevents the 9530 from being able to do the same. On my personal LG, it reads 1X and EV-DO separately. When I am on an actual phone call it runs 1X only and I can send/receive text messages. Obviously, I can't use "mobile web".

So, what's the limiting factor on the CDMA network and splitting channels between a CS call on 1X and data on EV-DO...is it the hardware or a network technology limitation or a frequency/power management issue? Just curious.
    11-03-08 08:26 PM
    Voice & Data is an advantage of HSPA over EVDO.

What is EVDO?

High Speed Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    11-03-08 08:53 PM
    from what i understand...and im sure about 30 of these guys will correct me on this.. cdma rev a is going to allow for this...
    11-03-08 08:54 PM
    Voice & Data is an advantage of HSPA over EVDO.

What is EVDO?

High Speed Packet Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I can accept that to a point...but in the "GSM" world it's a "simple" matter of different radio frequencies right? The HSPDA doesn't carry voice itself does it? If I'm in the UK, on the phone with a 9500, it's using the incumbent GSM network for the call on 900/1800MHz, correct? Once I initiate a data session, the HSPDA kicks in on 2100MHz...

...am I getting this wrong?

Since EVDO is "data only" and VZWs "circuit switched" voice calls are on the 1XRTT standard, I still wonder what the major obstacle is that prevents the use of both, network load? Not enough spread spectrum? Too much to encode?
    11-03-08 09:07 PM
    from what i understand...and im sure about 30 of these guys will correct me on this.. cdma rev a is going to allow for this...
    Yes and no... Not the network data, but I believe VoiP calling. I could be wrong as I don't keep up with cdma.
    11-03-08 09:18 PM
    CDMA Rev A will support data and Voip, the 9500 with support data and normal voice because its GSM and that network can handle both data and voice on the same network. There was a big thread about this awhile back I'm sure if you search you'll find it.

So the CDMA portion of the phone won't do both, but if abroad and using the GSM portion it will

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-03-08 09:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD