I remember in some of the marketing text we've seen recently about the Storm that one of the touted features is that you could talk on the phone and transfer data (browse the web, send e-mail, etc) at the same time. I just noticed that the Blackberry website says that this is only possible on HSPA GSM networks, which means that users in the US (VZW only) cannot take advantage of this capability.

www . dot . blackberry . dot . com/blackberrystorm/features . dot . shtml

That kinda sucks. Still love the phone, though. Wish my upgrade wasn't almost 1.5 years away.

-SR-
    10-09-08 10:43 AM
    add a line for 9.99 and then switch your esns and use your current phone as a back up or something
    10-09-08 10:45 AM
    Yeah but wouldn't he still be obligated to pay 9.99 for 2 years? If so that would basically negate the difference of selling his current on the bay and paying full retail? Right(assuming retail isn't 800.)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-08 10:54 AM
    i think its a little easier to pay 10 dollars a month than whatever the retail may be, especially on a device like that its gotta be over 500.

Plus, his line will still be eligible in 1.5 years. so now he has 2 upgrades. how exciting is that? i know people who have 5 lines and use one phone.. lol
    10-09-08 11:02 AM
    Yeah ur right I was kinda just thinking brass tacks 10*12 240 over 24. I'm on wap right now so can't see what phone has but if its an 8330 those go used for almost 300. But way off topic plus only reason I mentioned too is I might have to do one of those need me some storm.

10-09-08 11:21 AM
    ...one of the touted features is that you could talk on the phone and transfer data (browse the web, send e-mail, etc) at the same time. I just noticed that the Blackberry website says that this is only possible on HSPA GSM networks, which means that users in the US (VZW only) cannot take advantage of this capability...
    IIRC, the specs on the device indicate the phone can be on GSM on 850/900/1800/1900MHz (850/1900 in North America), might that be why the phone will come with a SIM card in it? Thus allowing a voice call on the VZW network while passing packets on the GSM side?

Perhaps that's just a pipe dream. But, if it weren't I would wonder then if VZW would introduce a "Storm" centric rate plan schedule?
    10-09-08 06:05 PM
    Verizon will not let you add a Blackberry for 9.99. You have to have email service with the voice plan. They told me it would be another 99.99 to add another to my account some months ago. Just my 2 cents
    10-09-08 07:27 PM
    Verizon will not let you add a Blackberry for 9.99. You have to have email service with the voice plan. They told me it would be another 99.99 to add another to my account some months ago. Just my 2 cents
    That makes no sense. You should be able to add a line for 9.99+39.99 for data.
    10-09-08 08:07 PM
    That's just what I was told. It was probably just some ***** at a call center. Glad to hear I should be able to add the line though. I never pushed the issue once she mentioned another $100.
    10-09-08 08:14 PM
    Or you can wait a little while longer and at&t is going to have this in early 2009 and you'll be able to do 3G data and voice at the same time...
    10-09-08 08:49 PM
    Or you can wait a little while longer and at&t is going to have this in early 2009 and you'll be able to do 3G data and voice at the same time...
    Don't hold your breath. Aside from the VZW exclusivity (which will probably hold for a long time, 'cause I don't see VZW having trouble meeting their quotas), even if AT&T did have this phone, I recall reading somewhere that the Storm only supports HSPA GSM on the 2100 MHz band, which would only be useful for Vodafone (read "European") customers.

I wonder if the lack of support for simultaneous voice/data on CDMA-EVDO networks is a limitation of the network architecture itself?

-SR-
    10-10-08 07:15 AM
    I GSM!
    10-10-08 07:20 AM
    I remember in some of the marketing text we've seen recently about the Storm that one of the touted features is that you could talk on the phone and transfer data (browse the web, send e-mail, etc) at the same time. I just noticed that the Blackberry website says that this is only possible on HSPA GSM networks, which means that users in the US (VZW only) cannot take advantage of this capability.

www . dot . blackberry . dot . com/blackberrystorm/features . dot . shtml

That kinda sucks. Still love the phone, though. Wish my upgrade wasn't almost 1.5 years away.

-SR-
    Talk to a rep they may be able to work something out for u
    10-10-08 07:24 AM
    No way! Get that under control. I have the 99.99 select plan plus 9.99 for a second line. All the blackberry stuff has nothing to do with that because all they do is add the data plans. I have two pearls on my plan so it's the 110 I just mentioned plus 29.99 plus 29.99 for two data plans. Then they add all my extras per line like navi and insurance. Don't let them fool you. Just make sure it's a family plan or share plan.

10-10-08 07:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD