I know thwres an exclusivity deal on this phone, but will it be available simfree from rim?

Thanks!
    10-01-08 02:13 PM
    I think you could always use another SIM if you get Verizon to release the unlock code. I think the 8830's had an unlock code that made it possible to use with foreign SIM's and not Verizon's included sim.
    10-01-08 03:45 PM
    I think you could always use another SIM if you get Verizon to release the unlock code. I think the 8830's had an unlock code that made it possible to use with foreign SIM's and not Verizon's included sim.
    First off, there is no "unlock code" for CDMA phones, as they cannot be unlocked to other carriers. CDMA devices are ESN specific, whereas GSM devices rely on SIM cards. The 8830s do NOT have an unlock code, per se, they simply are world phones which will operate on GSM bands overseas - totally different than expecting to use a Verizon CDMA device here in the states.

The bottom line is that the Storm will only be operable on Verizon's network for as long as the phone is exclusive to them.
    10-01-08 03:49 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/unl...s-8830-a-1356/

i'm still reading the whole thread but it's pretty interesting!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-01-08 at 03:57 PM.
    10-01-08 03:52 PM
    First off, there is no "unlock code" for CDMA phones, as they cannot be unlocked to other carriers. CDMA devices are ESN specific, whereas GSM devices rely on SIM cards. The 8830s do NOT have an unlock code, per se, they simply are world phones which will operate on GSM bands overseas - totally different than expecting to use a Verizon CDMA device here in the states.

The bottom line is that the Storm will only be operable on Verizon's network for as long as the phone is exclusive to them.
    I've had VZW for over 6 years and I know there is no unlock code to CDMA phones. I was referring to the SIM card unlock. IIRC when the 8830 came out you could only use Verizon's SIM to travel overseas or something about carrier specific SIM's. I don't remember all the clearly as I read it a while back.

@chrisy520 - thanks for digging up that old thread. I remember when the 8830 first came out I wanted to get it but couldn't justify the cost and I was reading up on the whole GSM unlocking portion of the phone.
    10-01-08 04:47 PM
    I've had VZW for over 6 years and I know there is no unlock code to CDMA phones. I was referring to the SIM card unlock. IIRC when the 8830 came out you could only use Verizon's SIM to travel overseas or something about carrier specific SIM's. I don't remember all the clearly as I read it a while back.

@chrisy520 - thanks for digging up that old thread. I remember when the 8830 first came out I wanted to get it but couldn't justify the cost and I was reading up on the whole GSM unlocking portion of the phone.
    Thank you for clarifying. Your intial post was a little misleading to that point, or at least the way I interpreted it.
    10-01-08 04:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD