Hi there

Just got the Storm in the UK on Vodafone... can't wait long enough for the new firmware upgrade as, though a very capable handset, there are definitely some teething issues with it (much of which has been discussed here too).

But something I haven't noticed and therefore would appreciate my US cousins offering their opinions on is something that me and many other UK Storm customers have found - that the signal strength is poor. Not just in terms of coverage, but also in relation to other handsets - i.e. if a Bold is sitting next to a Storm on Voda, the Bold will often be showing a reasonable signal when the Storm shows low/nothing on 3G.

So, what have you found, is the signal OK for you? Your views would be appreciated as, because the handset doesn't have WiFi, we really need 3G to be at it's best.

Cheers

John B
    12-21-08 08:49 AM
    You may want to consider exchanging handsets. Just travelled through a decent chunk of Sweden on my US storm with good to great 3g coverage throughout.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 09:34 AM
    I have noticed that the storm on the cdma side is a hair weaker than the vzw curve I have had. I still get plenty of signal to do what I need to but I have noticed that.

Blackberry may have toned down the power to the radio chipset to help conserve battery life? (This is just a guess from my part) I am also sure if I am wrong on this others will let not only myself know but everyone else reading this thread also.

I have not had the oppurtunity to test the GSM functionality though since I am in VZW country.

Also may want to consider returning the device for another one like rallyemax recommended.
    12-21-08 09:38 AM
    I have to agree with the original poster, my UK Vodafone Storm has really bad reception issues. As mentioned another vodafone handset can be getting a full 3G signal but the Storm shows SOS. Mostly I can get 3Bars of GPRS, and my other vodafone can get the full 3G!

Vodafone Uk keep insisting that this can be resolved via firmware, but this is now the 2nd (1 official , 1 unofficial .83) firmware and signal strength has not improved any.
    12-21-08 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD