Is there yet or going to be a shutter sound mute for the Storm? I'm definitely not fond of it and want it gone. Thanks in advance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 07:30 AM
    Better than the "3-2-1" or the "Cheese" one imho.
    12-05-08 07:38 AM
    Legally required to be there I believe...like 1magine said though, better than "say cheese"
    12-05-08 07:39 AM
    Maybe its there for a reason so you can't take sneaky pics of people without them knowing.
    12-05-08 07:41 AM
    Will any apps take care of this or is there a way to remove it from the file system?

Why be so rude about it what if I'm in school and want to take a picture but can't have the sound going off?
    12-05-08 07:42 AM
    There is a 3rd party app. for other BB's that mutes the click for the camera, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Storm version come out.
    12-05-08 07:45 AM
    If you're taking pics of your friends, why would a little camera click annoy them?
    12-05-08 07:48 AM
    In school we can't have our phones so its not for my friends its for the teachers.

12-05-08 07:50 AM
    I even tried using CaptureIt while in camera mode. It takes a picture but its all black, so it doesn't help much lol
    12-05-08 07:51 AM
    Somehow it is not possible to mute the shutter sound even with 3rd party apps. RIM did block that somehow.
    12-05-08 07:53 AM
    I dont take sneaky pics I just get annoyed by the click sound. I mean there is a reason I keep my phone on vibrate mode most of the time. Only when playing L4D or driving do I use a sound enabled profile.

I get annoyed at others who while at work have the law & order ring tone or some other cheesy ringtone or sms tone.
    12-05-08 08:02 AM
    I'm pretty sure the Curve had a muting app though thats why I asked. Maybe someone will be making one for the Storm.

12-05-08 08:05 AM
    I asked this question a while back when I first got my curve. Someone had told me that if you make a phone call, perferbly to a number you know wont get answered, like your house number or a answering machine then switch apps to the camera and take the picture you will not hear the shutter sound.
    12-05-08 06:42 PM
    I'm pretty sure the Curve had a muting app though thats why I asked. Maybe someone will be making one for the Storm.

Nope - the Curve did not have a muting option on it. I am a former Curve owner and hated the sound too.
    12-05-08 06:44 PM
    I even tried using CaptureIt while in camera mode. It takes a picture but its all black, so it doesn't help much lol
    wow, thats a great idea! too bad it doesnt work though
    12-05-08 06:53 PM
    It would be nice to be able to disable the camera shutter sound. There's certainly no legal requirement for the shutter to emit a sound. And there are legitimate reasons to not have a shutter sound emitted. For example, as a private investigator, I take covert (but entirely legal) photos in public all the time. A camera that emits a shutter sound cannot be used for that.

Many argue that a shutter should should be present to prevent "voyeur" photos from being taken. However, since a "voyeur" video can be taken as easily as a still photo, and since the video camera emits no sound at all, the argument that a shutter sound prevents "voyeur" imagery from being captured fails.

Thus, in my opinion the shutter sound is purely a gimmick, and there should be an option to remove it entirely if desired as there is only most digital cameras.

Having said that, although it's nice to have a camera on the Storm, its current version is essentially unusable anyway, due to the extreme lag after pressing the shutter release. Hopefully that will be addresses in a future update.
    12-05-08 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD