I think this may be applicable to many since VZW launched the Curve a year ago.

I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary with my Curve - which I LOVE. My only complaint is that it is a bit slow when I have a couple of apps going. However, the Storm keeps calling me - with it's beautiful touch screen.

So my question is - should I upgrade when my 1 year comes up? Has anyone upgraded from a Curve and, if so, what are the positives and negatives?

Thanks!
    03-18-09 12:10 PM
    the storm has its quirks, but if you are willing to deal with it.. i think it is better than the curve.
    03-18-09 12:12 PM
    don't you have to "wait" 2 years to be eligible for an equipment upgrade... you can upgrade regardless if you are willing to pay.
    03-18-09 12:15 PM
    You can upgrade after 1 year if you agree to a new 2 year contract. Also, what are some of those "quirks" you mentioned?
    03-18-09 12:35 PM
    Go try it out at a verizon store to see if you like it. If your not willing to put up with a long learning curve then don't get it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-09 01:33 PM
    yes you should
    03-18-09 01:36 PM
    you should absolutely switch.
    03-18-09 01:36 PM

I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary with my Curve - which I LOVE. My only complaint is that it is a bit slow when I have a couple of apps going. However, the Storm keeps calling me - with it's beautiful touch screen.

So my question is - should I upgrade when my 1 year comes up? Has anyone upgraded from a Curve and, if so, what are the positives and negatives?

Thanks!
    It really depends on what you are using the phone for. If you are using it mainly for emails, PIM stuffs, and music, the Curve is perfect for you. But if you are using it for web surfing or watching videos etc, the Storm is better. It is because of the full screen landscape mode. All web sites are built in landscape mode. All movies are made in landscape mode. All computer screens are in landscape mode. All TV sets are in landscape mode. And I can go on and on, but you should get the point. When it comes to viewing, size DOES matter.

There is no such thing as a perfect device. All converged devices have their pros and cons. In my humble opinion, the Storm has more upsides than downsides. But I must warn you that the Storm requires some learning curve. But once you adapt to the device, you will love it. The people who hate it is because they never get pass the learning curve and therefore, never adapt to it.

Hope this helps.

03-18-09 01:38 PM

Thanks!

If you want it get it. Decide if it is for you in the first 30 days and go from there. Only you can answer this question. If you decide that this phone isn't for you return it and go back to your curve and wait for your full NE2 to kick in. I love this phone.

03-18-09 01:43 PM
    I had the curve in may of 08. Upgraded in Nov 08 to a storm. Got it for
    199$ price. I don't even wait a year. I am sorta sick of the storm and vzw not
    Upgdading the os and all that. Ice had 3 storms till I got one that I did not have
    To fight to click.

I'm gonna grab the new Niagara when it comes out. I got a hookup in vzw so l get it for whatever the 2 year price is.

03-18-09 01:48 PM
    I would say do it. I just got the storm a few days ago and I'm glad I didn't wait. Although I didn't come from a curve- I used an 8830 for over a year and a half- it might be comparable.

Compared to the 8830, the storm's advantages are:
    1. Easier to read emails- fonts are larger, links work better
    2. Faster&easier web browsing + you can see the entire web page
    3. Suretype!! All I can say is Wow. For some reason, I had a difficult time understanding the concept but after building up confidence in it, I use it all the time now.
    4. Less eye strain- EVERYTHING is larger on the storm.
    5. Since the OS is similar in all bb's, its easy to get up to speed with all the unique features.

On the down side:
    1. ...can't think of any....
    2. ...still thinking...
    03-18-09 01:56 PM
    surepress sold the phone, leaked OS's are improving the device, an offical OS will probably enhance things further.
    03-18-09 02:05 PM
    it will take some getting used to, esp the typing.
    IF you use it for lots of texting, get the curve.
    03-18-09 02:13 PM
    +1 On getting the Storm over the Curve, unless you wanna wait and see if Verizon picks up any of the new goodies that BlackBerry is always making...but you might have to wait awhile!
    03-18-09 02:21 PM
    I used to have a Motorola Q. I had it for about three years. After water damage I was forced to upgrade which I really didn't want to because I enjoyed the qwerty keypad.

Needless to say, I don't look back in anger. The best purchase I've made in a good long while.
    03-18-09 02:23 PM
    if you think the curve slows down with a few apps running, wait until you do that with the storm.

the only thing i wish would improve on the storm is the lag/slow responses
    03-18-09 02:30 PM
    i got my storm last week. this is the best phone i've ever had. typing is great, got used to how it takes pictues (the shutter speed is a little slow but the pics come out very clear), and web browsing is awesome! i picked it up for $150 with my NE2 discount. it's definitely a great investment and the convenience of having internet makes things incredibly easy.
    03-18-09 02:44 PM
    Definitely upgrade. Absolutely worth it and any help you may need with OS versions, you can come here.

Best device of this kind I've ever owned.
    03-18-09 02:58 PM
    There are four very separate and distinct smatphone experiences:

iPhone
    Windows Mobile
    Android (Google Phone)
    Blackberry

I am directly experienced with all save Android, and can characterize them as follows:

iPhone: Whiz-bang eye candy, decent utility and hit-or-miss call coverage. You pay extra for Apple-approved peripherals.
    Windows Mobile: If you like your Windows PC, you'll like a WM smartphone. All your favorite office apps are there. Buggy software, but good tech support.
    Blackberry: Designed for business users, which means its email capabilities are outstanding, but you'll never have the coolest rig at a Manhattan cocktail party.

You pays your money and takes your choice. I liked WM, but grew tired of fighting the bugs. I have an Apple iPod and love it, but still see Apple as more style than substance. Android has gotten good press, but I don't want to be a pioneer. As a retired businessman, I respect the BB brand's storied ability to TCB, so I went Storm.
    03-18-09 04:05 PM
    i'm a sucker for the touch screen so i love my storm so far, but the others are right about the learning curve, i've been to lazy to really do much with my storm yet though
    03-18-09 04:08 PM
    Here is an excellent writerup on how the different smart-phone experiences stack up:

Giz Explains: What Makes The Five Smartphone Platforms Different
    03-18-09 04:20 PM
    The storm is my first blackberry. I like the sure-press screen way better than the iphone. So if you are looking for touchscreen go with the storm.

03-18-09 04:23 PM
    i like my storm way better then the iphone that i had or should i say iphones which i had the 2g and 3g. 3g wasnt much of a upgrade just a new look.
    03-19-09 11:53 AM
    Absolutely switch to the Storm!
    03-19-09 05:25 PM

Thanks!
    YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-19-09 05:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD