I had posted this info in another thread but it got swallowed in many new posts, so I will post it in a new one.

The gist of what I had said was that:
    "the battery life has always seemed sub-average. I Upgraded to .86 last night and it was fully charged this morning (charged overnight)...and now, only an hour later this morning, after only using the phone for one short call, it's at 90%.
    I mean wtf, my bluetooth is off, there's no WiFi, I barely use it for calls on certain days, and some days I see it drop down without even using it much for anything at all! And this has been a problem since I got the Storm about 2 weeks ago as well as with every OS I've upgraded to."

Then I had said:
    "An hour later now, after again barely using the phone except a few times (not calls or data related), it is down to 80%...I mean COME ON!!"

I was reading posts from other Storm owners saying that the most it will drain in a full day of use is at the lowest, down to 60%, and that they can go through almost a second day without charging it, but mine is practically dead by the time I get out of work at 5 every day!

So, after reading that, would you suggest that it is abornmal drain and to go get the battery replaced (I don't have insurance for the phone but it is within the first 30 days still)? Or could it actually be a phone issue? I have had a good Storm so far in most other aspects, so i don't think it is a phone issue, but not sure.

The only things I could think of is that my Location is turned on for GPS and once in a while here at work, it might be trying hard to get service because the service isn't great in here, but I still don't think that would cause a 20% drop down in 2 hours with barely any use...right?
    Last edited by just4747; 01-13-09 at 09:55 AM.
    01-13-09 09:51 AM
    I am having the exact same problem with my brand new BB Curve. Since day one, this dang thing wont hold a charge. Just like you, by 4:30, when I leave work, my phone is dead or near dead & that's with MINIMAL use. My best friend has the same phone and she text up to 200 times a day and only has to charger her curve every other day. I mean come on.

I went back to Sprint & they gave me another battery. It only helped a little, and I mean A LITTLE. They did a diagnostics test & said the phone was ok. BUT... this just cant be right. I too am still in my 30 day period & contemplating exchanging the entire phone. Something is NOT right. I too have my bluetooth off and dont have any applications running in the background. URRGGG

It's sooo frustrating.
    01-13-09 11:43 AM
    Doesn't hurt to try for a new battery. You have nothing to lose
    01-13-09 11:45 AM
    1. Run the battery all the way down to one bar or around 20%. DO NOT completely drain your battery. No matter where you read that this is okay, it's not. The gel compound can dry up and crystalize and overheat the battery and possibly damage your BB.
    2. Charge your battery using an AC or DC charger (not the USB).
    3. After the battery is fully charged, do a battery pull. Pull the battery out while the BB is on and leave it out for 1 minute. replace it and let the BB completely reboot. See if you notice a difference.

The only way to tell if the battery needs replacement is if it's damaged (water mark or bubbles under the sticker) or your test it wil a volt meter (and that's really not a given).

Hope this helps.
    01-13-09 11:49 AM
    Thanks; well either way, I just got the battery replaced at VZW and will see how it goes. The new battery was at 20% so I'm now charging it up. I will try what you said if this one does the same (or it is a phone issue I guess).

Does having Location turned on affect the battery life at all? Or not enough to notice (like Bluetooth or WiFi would)?
    01-13-09 12:32 PM
    Thanks; well either way, I just got the battery replaced at VZW and will see how it goes. The new battery was at 20% so I'm now charging it up. I will try what you said if this one does the same (or it is a phone issue I guess).

Does having Location turned on affect the battery life at all? Or not enough to notice (like Bluetooth or WiFi would)?
    Yes, anything that "pings" a network like my location will effect the battery life. But nowhere near the amout WiFi and BlueTooth does. Also, put your screen dimmer down a couple notches. That's the biggest "battery bummer" there is.
    01-13-09 12:35 PM
    Yeah I've done all the common tweaks for battery life like that one.

I want to believe that the device and battery are fine, and that it's the fact that my phone is on 1xev (lowercase) and/or searching for service throughout the day 9-5 (except for when I get up and go to another part of the building)...but I don't know if that would be enough to make it drain that fast/much.

I honestly haven't had a day out of the office where I do have service all day yet with the Storm because I just got it last week. When I do, I will monitor it to see if having service all/most of the day changes anything.

EDIT: Forgot to add, when I have my phone sitting in the exact same position on my desk every day, sometimes I will get 1xEV half to full service, sometimes I will get 1xev, and SOMETIMES I will have the red "SOS" for service for a good while (how's that for inconsistent???)...is this possibly contributing to my battery dying so fast?? Sometimes it will say SOS for a while, not sure how long though.
    Last edited by just4747; 01-13-09 at 04:01 PM.
    01-13-09 12:35 PM
    K so I have had the new battery since yesterday afternoon and things seem about the same. I saw a post in another thread where someone told me to get the phone replaced, tell me what you think:

Get a replacement phone. Seriously. I had the same issue. Disabled bluetooth, set screen dim to 10, turn off global network, all the other suggestions...but if I unplugged it at 8am it was dead by 6pm with NO usage at all. I took it back and swapped batteries, but same thing. Took it back again and swapped out the phone itself and it has worked perfect ever since. I now get DAYS on it, not hours. If I don't use it now, very little battery trickles for the day (maybe 5%?), which is what I expect.
    Can someone else please comment on this? Is that most likely the case or could it just be the beta OSs I've currently used mixed with my particular phone that could be causing the battery to die quicker? What are the chances that a new OS version could improve the battery life for mine (I never tried .85, but most of the others)? Could my brand new device with no other abnormal issues really be the cause of this??

I hate to have to bring it back when it has good screen click and everything...
    01-14-09 10:12 AM
    Well after reading what users had said and evaluating my original phone, I ended up getting a replacement in-store. I had to wait an hour and a half for my phone to get done because of other phones waiting. I got the new one, can't comment on battery life yet because I just took it off the charger a short time ago. But I got the bluish, cooler temperature colored screen opposed to my original warmer look...the bluish is terrible compared to the warm colors..I hate the way this looks after owning the other one. Also, the new one has a very loose-feeling End button that is basically hitting against the Back button every time you press it. Also, there is a very noticeable dead pixel on the right of the screen and the bottom left of it has no click.

I now regret switching the phones...going to switch it out again later today. Like others, I don't care how many times I have to replace the phone. I won't be happy until I get a decent phone without the 15 different issues (OS-issues aside).
    The cool-temperature color in place of the warmer one is reason enough to get a replacement (the cooler, bluish-tinted screens are terrible): no matter what brightness it's set to, the whites are blinding, the blacks are grayish-purple, and the overall color and sharpness is like a 6/10 when the other warmer screens are a clear 10/10. It really is washed out looking and less rich in color.
    01-15-09 08:42 AM
    If your phone is having to search for signal all day at work no wonder your battery doesn't last.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 09:28 AM
    Yeah but I would experiment by purposely staying in a full-service area for a long period of time while using the phone an average amount, and it would still drain by 10 percent in no time, 10-15 minutes or so. Now when other users tell me they could use their phone sparingly ALL day at work or wherever, and the battery only trickles down 5-10% that whole time, I know mine can't be normal.
    01-15-09 09:33 AM
    Like others, I don't care how many times I have to replace the phone. I won't be happy until I get a decent phone without the 15 different issues (OS-issues aside).
    LMAO .......
    01-15-09 10:29 AM
    What's funny? Sorry I want my $200+ cell phone to work at least half as good as it should. Again, not knocking the beta OSs because the bugs are to be expected..but the hardware should work correctly.
    01-15-09 10:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD