I don't have an international plan. All I really do is text and use the internet. Is it even worth bringing along?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 05:21 PM
    Dude, you shouldn't take ANYthing to Mexico right now!
    03-12-09 05:22 PM
    Dude, you shouldn't take ANYthing to Mexico right now!
    Gotta love the media...

It's not nearly as bad as portrayed. Obviously you need to be a bit more vigilant and i'd go during the day when the roads are busy. However otherwise, I just got back from Rocky Point. (Puerto Penasco) We had a blast and absolutely no problems.
    03-12-09 05:24 PM
    yah... i'd say the same... i live in canada and i'm in the states atleast twice a month, if not more and i leave my phone at home. Thats also because i have an at&t pre-pay phone to use when i travel down there. Maybe something you should look into
    03-12-09 05:25 PM
    I don't have an international plan. All I really do is text and use the internet. Is it even worth bringing along?

Don't take it without an international plan. Look at this iphone users horror story: ATT + iPhone int'l. roaming data horror story: $3K bill - UDPATE - Boing Boing
    03-12-09 05:32 PM
    Gotta love the media...

It's not nearly as bad as portrayed. Obviously you need to be a bit more vigilant and i'd go during the day when the roads are busy. However otherwise, I just got back from Rocky Point. (Puerto Penasco) We had a blast and absolutely no problems.
    Bro, mexico is just as bad as the media makes it. My friend got shot and killed in the streets of puerto vallarta not too long ago...
    03-12-09 06:06 PM
    Wow im going to vacation in puerto vallarta in may... our family has a place reserved around the area... I have been to Cotija with my storm and it is safe (depending on who you talk to or who you know!)
    03-12-09 07:33 PM
    I have taken my prior BB on VZW many times. In both PV and Mazatlan I get CDMA coverage and data. Using my phone a lot for a week, including email for data and some teathering I think my bill was like $90 extra. My old phone would not let me turn off data so I did get emails and that added to the cost. Without data the roaming costs are not too much.

You do need to call VZW to enable roaming - no cost though.

Have good trip.

03-12-09 08:02 PM
    If you aren't going to use it, don't bring it.

03-12-09 08:09 PM
    Careful there. It can be dangerous. when you cross check points and see a bunch of young soldiers with automatic weapons can be a little unnerving. There are kidnappings and you could get caught in the crossfire. I am not going to Mexico anytime soon.
    03-12-09 08:17 PM
    Do NOT wear on hip, put it in your pocket. Travel to Mexico City frequently and our clients always tell us to put in pocket.
    03-12-09 08:28 PM
    Trade the Storm for a Glock if your going to Mexico
    03-12-09 08:29 PM
    I literally just got back from Cancun. Girls love it. 100% take it.
    03-12-09 08:37 PM
    Can't you just buy a sim card over there and use up those minutes?
    03-12-09 09:01 PM
    When I went to Playa del Carmen last year, I took my curve with me. I didn't make any calls or text on it, but when I got my bill it had like 40.00 worth of charges due to the phone being turned on, so see what emails/texts I received. They said all the hand shakes with the towers and actually transmitting the data to the phone was why and they wouldnt budge. So, take the phone with you but leave it off unless for emergency purposes IMO.
    03-12-09 09:08 PM
    Can't you just buy a sim card over there and use up those minutes?
    yea but gsm in mexico is like .99/min both ways....
    03-12-09 09:10 PM
    When I went to Playa del Carmen last year, I took my curve with me. I didn't make any calls or text on it, but when I got my bill it had like 40.00 worth of charges due to the phone being turned on, so see what emails/texts I received. They said all the hand shakes with the towers and actually transmitting the data to the phone was why and they wouldnt budge. So, take the phone with you but leave it off unless for emergency purposes IMO.
    Should have called ahead and put the international plan on you bill.

I went to Playa del Carmen in January and took my STORM. Worked Great!
    03-12-09 10:23 PM
    you shouldnt even go to mexico nevermind your storm! think before you speak =)
    03-12-09 10:35 PM
    My question is business or pleasure?

IF business then you might need it.

If pleasure go to Florida. Same beach, geographically the same except for the most southern part of mexico, but not third world.

Spend those dollars in the USA.
    03-13-09 02:32 AM
    Its funny this guy posted this thread cause I'm also going this week. I wanted to take my phone to show off to my cousins. Would I get charged roaming if I made sure I kept radio off?

03-13-09 05:03 AM
    Trade the Storm for a Glock if your going to Mexico
    ha ha ha. or a S&W
    03-13-09 10:21 PM
    Maybe the media glorifies things and makes them seem worse than they are. Fine. let's say they're about an 8 based on what the media says. You say it's not as a bad, fine, let's say it's really a 4. I, personally, don't like those odds. I'm not interested in being made into a "stew" or having my head put in a cooler. Is there a chance I'd come back? Of course, there's a chance I'm come back from Haiti too.
    03-13-09 10:31 PM
    Yeah its mainly TJ and Baja, the Marine base in San Diego banned there guys from going to TJ and/or Baja. Anyway to answer the OP's question, I would talk with Verizon but if you don't have any plan I would not take it you could potentially be charged an arm and a leg.
    03-14-09 01:28 AM
    i lived for a while in Mexico last year with a family who's a member of the mission-planted church from my church here in IL, and i had an ATT GSM plan and texting and phoning was CRAZZY expensive haha! if you're only gonna be there a little bit, i'd recommend either not using your phone, or figure out what it'll cost you per message or whatever and decide how much you can allow yourself to text and whatnot (i'd recommend not using the internet at all as it's beyond crazy in expense). I'm jealous of you though.. i LOVE Mexico (i've been there a few times before last time).. but i dont so much like the touristy parts.. i love the people and living like they do (and of course speaking the language.. i love the language!)
    the beaches and stuff are awesome for vacationing though :-)

and no, there's no more need to be careful in all reality.. sure some parts are dangerous but the media just likes to lie and make it appear more dangerous than it is
    03-14-09 02:02 AM
    I live in SD and I take my dogs to a vet down in TJ at least a few times each month. Believe it or not I actually do get attention from locals down there asking if my phone is an "iPhone". I keep it in a holster at the hip so its obviously noticeable. Keep it in your pocket.

I also have an international plan its like $3.99/month so Id recommend adding that to your plan for the time youll be down there if you plan on making calls. Then just cancel the plan once you come back.
    03-14-09 02:05 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD