Hi i am new to this site it is very cool, anyway please be nice. I am a 16 high school student ** unlike what most people would think really use his blackberry's i have several blogs and certain things i'd love to be able to comment on from my phone and am really intrested in gettng a blackberry. I hae verizon so its the storm or curve I'm wondering which is better for my circumstance i would like to the storm but am not sure i am willing t pay 199$ for it when my contract comes up in january. this will be my last phone before college which is another thing to consider. would the curve be sufficent and enough technology wise or i the storm that much superior and worth the 199$?
    11-10-08 11:38 PM
    I say Storm.. just because it seems more consumer oriented... and if you're in high school you can show it off to all of your iPhone wielding friends..
    11-10-08 11:41 PM
    Couldn't have said it any better myself..
    But it comes down to what is right for YOU and that is something only you can answer. Sorry.
    ---------------------

To expand on my reply to this person....

Someone like my brother, who calls and texts, doesn't really NEED the Storm, or any blackberry or smartphone for that matter. He doesn't need a PDA, doesn't need to surf the web from his phone. Doesn't need always connected/real time PUSH email. His car plays MP3's from DVDs, he has XM in his car, doesn't carry an iPod or other Mp3 player. He doesn't watch movies on his phone.

I let him borrow my Moto Q9m when he broke his phone. He never even loaded ActiveSync on his PC.

So him returning his enV2 to get a storm, would be just a waste of his time/money.

My Dad only makes/takes calls. When I got him his V755, I have all data and text blocked on his phone and he hasn't even noticed. So he certainly doesn't need any blackberry.

Me on the other hand... I'm a BES admin and a lead at work. I've been using RIM products since 1996 or 1997. For my JOB I rely on the always on PUSH email (to which I'm adicted!), full wireless PIM sync (via BES), instant messing support, 3rd party apps (like a few games, Viigo, etc), always on Web (like ESPN, ABCnews, Avantgo), etc. I have an 80gig iPod Classic (almost full) that I use in the car and at my desk for music and video.

For my Personal use, since I have a BB for work, I don't need a BB, and can't justify the extra $30 per month on my personal bill (since I have my personal email and IM setup on my work BB). But if I didn't have this job, yes, my personal device would definately be a Blackberry (probably a curve or in the coming weeks, a Storm).

My GF, who prior to becoming my GF worked for me doing BB support (we didn't start dating until well after she went to work elsewhere!!), got so used to a blackberry, that a few months after getting her current job, she got a BB Pearl. She loves it. She does make use of the email, instant messaging, web and camera. She is looking at the storm to replace her Pearl and 8gig iPod Touch, and is really really liking it. BUT she isn't eligible for upgrade pricing until December, and with the baby coming, she probably wont get it, and just save her money instead.

Simillarly, I'm sure there are people out there with Curves and Pearls asking if they should upgrade. To you, I say, its a similar question to "Do I need a new car"... You have to weigh what its going to cost you out of pocket, and can your budget afford that? Does your current blackberry meet your needs? Does the Storm have any compelling "must have" features beyond just the touch screen? Does it fill any need you have, that your current BB doesn't?

Blackberry is becoming a "status symbol"... having one means you're cool, hip and always in demand... :hehehe: I'm sure some will buy the Storm just because "its cool."

For those that really NEED a blackberry, and all its features, I think the Storm will be an excellent choice. Especially for those who travel overseas. Or those who want the enhanced multimedia abilites, better camera, larger and sharper screen, better web browser. Faster processor, more built in memory, etc.

For those who don't need all the blackberry features, YES Blackberries have been, and continue to be good quality phones, with very good reception, battery life, features, etc. Will you use all those features? Is it worth the extra cost of the data plan per month?

In the end, it all comes down to that it is only YOU who can decide if the BB Storm (or any phone for that matter) is REALLY Necessary and is the best choice for your needs/usage. Neither I, nor anyone else can answer this for you.
    11-10-08 11:49 PM
    Couldn't have said it any better myself..
    If that wasn't so long I'd make it my signature

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-08 11:57 PM
    ok thanks guys you make some excellent points another thing is as i have been looking at different sites it says that there is ajavelin and a niagra coming out what exactly are those and does anyone know what they will be like and if the will be for verizon as well as if the bold might come to verizon
    11-11-08 12:07 AM
    from what i gather:

Javelin is more of an upgraded Curve
    Niagra is basically a Bold with a larger screen and touch screen capabilities

But to add to what you asked previously, i personally will be getting the storm because im a big touch screen fan. But if i didn't like the touch screen i might just wait for the upgraded curve. But being that your going to college which i am 3rd year in college, your 1st year, everything relies on first impression. So i would go with the storm to give u that little extra edge with the ladies saying "im ritch biatch"

But if you don't want the touch screen, curve might be the way to go.
    11-11-08 12:34 AM
    i already got my gf lol but my biggest concern is which of these phones will be for verizon?
    11-11-08 12:39 AM
    wow... people actually use the type of phone to pick up woman?

=(
    11-11-08 01:26 AM
    from what i gather:

Javelin is more of an upgraded Curve
    Niagra is basically a Bold with a larger screen and touch screen capabilities

But to add to what you asked previously, i personally will be getting the storm because im a big touch screen fan. But if i didn't like the touch screen i might just wait for the upgraded curve. But being that your going to college which i am 3rd year in college, your 1st year, everything relies on first impression. So i would go with the storm to give u that little extra edge with the ladies saying "im ritch biatch"

But if you don't want the touch screen, curve might be the way to go.
    I believe that the Niagra is just the cdma version of the Javelin, isn't it. Also doesn't have touch screen.
    11-11-08 07:12 AM
    I believe that the Niagra is just the cdma version of the Javelin, isn't it. Also doesn't have touch screen.
    yeah thats what i gathered after doing a little more research, although there is a STORM like device coming that looks similar to the bold with a physical keyboard as well as touch screen
    11-11-08 07:19 AM
    yeah thats what i gathered after doing a little more research, although there is a STORM like device coming that looks similar to the bold with a physical keyboard as well as touch screen
    It was 1:30am, i'm sure you were just tired or something???I was passed out by then.
    11-11-08 07:24 AM
    im kinda new to black berry's and smart phones what is the difference between 3 g and 2.5 g is there a big drop off and i've heard the storm is only 2.5 g where the bold is 3g

if their is a big difference could there be a 3g bold or curve thats coming to verizon?
    11-11-08 09:15 AM
    No. The storm is like 3.5 G, 3G in the least. The bold has a faster processing speed and is a little more high end.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-08 10:48 AM
    ok now is there anytype of bold coming to the verizon network because if the screen is glass im going to be very dissapointed with the storm i liked the idea of a plama like touch screen thing anyway

i am really curious what this javelin is and is there a big difference between 2.5 g and 3 g because i might just get the curve.
    11-11-08 07:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD