After additional weird behavior including losing emails and SMS's from the last 24 hour period only, I called VZW. They were mystified as well, so I'm creating back-ups and completely wiping my phone with JL Cmdr and will reload the entire OS. I'll post here later today with any results/issues.
    11-02-09 08:09 AM
    i spent time with VZW and they were unaware of any battery drain issues with the 5.0 update so they are sending me a new battery. that may help but i don't believe it is a battery issue as my battery lasted for two days before the update and now lasts less than 8 hours but who knows??? we'll see
    11-02-09 09:16 AM
    i just spent time with VZW and they are unaware of ANYONE having any battery issues with the 5.0 update so they are sending me a new battery. i really don't think that is the problem as my phone would last a couple of days before needing a charge before the 5.0 update. we'll see i guess but i still think it's something with the update. i'll keep ya posted and if anyone hears anything else on this issue please let us know. thanks
    11-02-09 09:45 AM
    anyone having a problem with battery going dead very quickly after "upgrading" to 5.0? i used to get a couple of days of use on my Storm before and now the battery dies in less than 8 hours even if i'm not even using it. thanks
    Try *228 option 2 update the phone. It helped my battery to keep a Charge for twice as long

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-09 11:32 AM
    I am having the same issues as stated above... how does one check what version of BES they are running?
    11-02-09 12:07 PM
    As I stated above, I went ahead and wiped my phone using JL Cmdr and reloaded the OS .328, and it now appears to be working normally. Battery usage is what it used to be before the initial upgrade. I'm no longer losing emails or SMS's received in the last 24 hours. Also, I'm able to install both BB App World and QuickPull Pro, do a battery pull and they remain on the phone. Additionally, I'm able to rename folders and after a battery pull they retain the new name. Before I wiped the phone earlier today, all of the above issues were happening, along with the severe battery drain.

I did also, as suggested in other forums, dial *228 and selected option 2. I don't think that had as much to do with setting things right as the wipe and reload, but I was willing to try pretty much anything within reason to get the phone back operating as it should. It appears it is now doing just that. I will continue to monitor and provide any further updates as necessary.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
    Last edited by steve64_64; 11-02-09 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections
    11-02-09 01:45 PM
    Okay so I have called Verizon and talked to RIMM and they are not aware of the battery drain problem. I like most of you was experiencing severe battery drain issues. I was able to resolve the problem and here is what I had to do...

1. Backup important info using desktop manager
    2. Perform a wipe on your handset
    3. Perform a clean install of 5.0 (ie: not a restore)
    4. Using Blackberry Desktop Manager Backup and Restore click Advanced
    5. Select the backup file you want to use in the first box
    6. Only move the data to your blackberry (ie: phonebook, bookmarks, email, sms, custom words dictionary, etc. NOT settings, options, or configurations.)

I know its a pain to have to go and reselect your sound profiles, wallpaper, home page layout and all the other customizations but its worth it to resolve the battery issue.

Hope this helps someone although I am sure someone with a little more advanced knowledge will be able to isolate the exact issue. I think I needed to do a clean install anyway after all the updates that have come out since I got my BB last year.

Aloha!
    Last edited by sboeckman; 11-02-09 at 03:38 PM.
    11-02-09 03:35 PM
    Since downloading the update on my blackberry, I am unable to charge my battery. The wall charger is showing a message that the device is unable to charge the battery. I have also tried charging it from my computer and that doesn't work either. This is a new phone and battery and worked great before the download.
    11-02-09 03:47 PM
    I am having the same issues as stated above... how does one check what version of BES they are running?
    Your IT staff will know. I think that's the way to find out.
    11-02-09 06:52 PM
    Here's what I did to fix the battery drain issue. Now I get at least 2 days on a single charge.

After upgrading to 5.0.0.328 I also had terrible battery drain. About 8 hours of battery life WITH the mobile network connection and bluetooth turned off and zero use (no calls, not touching the screen, nothing!). Screen settings were already at 10% with 10 sec dim. Turned off all possible programs running in the background, but no dice. Tried downgrading to 4.7.0.148 with NO change. Re-upgraded back to 5.0 with NO change. Went to verizon store, exchanged my battery, NO change.

Then I deleted everything except for the core OS programs. FINALLY got my battery life back to normal. Reinstalled my applications one by one, checking to see if any one would cause the battery drain. So far its been working great! Here's a list of 3rd party stuff I was running (* = didn't reinstall): google maps, google sync, where, poynt*, tetherberry, appleberry8 theme, pandora, youtube*, vlingo, bigtincan buzzme, opera mini 5 beta, trapster*, quickpull lite*, shazaam*, bolt browser*.

Hope this helps people with an incredibly fustrating problem. Bottom line is to bite the bullet, delete all your 3rd party apps (don't forget to backup before you do anything), and reinstall only what you really need. Good luck!
    11-03-09 04:54 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD