.. and no flames please.. lol This is me just being my naturally curious self..

I own a Storm, 9530, with VZW. On my second one, as the 1st from Nov/Dec '08 had issues.. Second arrived late Jan '09 and is fine. Running Leaked .103 and loving it... for the most part..

However.. this fella' offers me his .. and I quote "Unlocked, and jailbreaked 8gig iPhone..great shape.. and some cash too.." for my Storm ..

I'm thinking.. Ok .. I loved my 32gig Touch.. but sold it to get this Storm when it came out.. because I hated carrying an iPod as well as cell phone.. plus my oncall cell phone for work .. so I assumed the Storm would hanlde mp3's and video sort of like the iPod did.. especially with an 8gig microSD card included.. but this guy's telling me his iPhone is unlocked and something called jailbreak'd .. jailbreak? Seems I've heard of that before.. but.. who knows..

So my questions to you experts who would know this are ..

1) Can this iPhone truly work on a CDMA VZW network? He swears it does...
    2) Can you plug it into iTunes and not screwup and get some firmware update basically foo-bar'ing your phone so it stops working on VZW? Can you even ever plug the damn thing back in again?
    3) How does VZW detect or display the phone online, when I log into vzw.com to check usage, options, etc.. ? Will they know or care?
    4) wtf is Jailbreak and why does it sound illegal? lol ...

Curious minds want to know.. lol

Thanks for any knowledge transfer
    Jeff
    Last edited by FRBJeffJ; 02-22-09 at 08:57 PM.
    02-22-09 08:55 PM
    The iphone wont work on verizon. You'd have to break contract and go to a GSM carrier.

"jailbreaking" is basically unlocking the phone so you may edit files and such, so you can run your own 3rd party apps and get it to work on other GSM carriers such as T-mobile.
    02-22-09 08:57 PM
    That's the term for unlocking the iphone. The guy seems pretty desperate to get rid of that iphone. I wonder why......

Not to mention, the extra crap you'll have to do to get it to work. Not worth it in my opinion.
    02-22-09 08:58 PM
    The iphone wont work on verizon. You'd have to break contract and go to a GSM carrier.
    Very strange ... my brother-in-law worked at Jet Blue up until Christmas... in the loading back area.. (not a high profile or high paying job.. lol) and he also just told me its possible.. he had a co-worker who's iPhone even said Verizon Wireless on the screen and had been jailbreak'd and unlocked and was working on VZW's CDMA network somehow.. I wonder how the **** they're doing it.. ?

Jeff
    02-22-09 09:00 PM
    Someone sounds a little too eager to get rid of the phone. Does the fact that he wants your phone so bad maybe tell you anything about either the phone or the service he so badly wants to dump? He almost sounds like he's begging you to take that from him.
    02-22-09 09:02 PM
    Very strange ... my brother-in-law worked at Jet Blue up until Christmas... in the loading back area.. (not a high profile or high paying job.. lol) and he also just told me its possible.. he had a co-worker who's iPhone even said Verizon Wireless on the screen and had been jailbreak'd and unlocked and was working on VZW's CDMA network somehow.. I wonder how the **** they're doing it.. ?

Jeff
    Back when I had my iphone, there were some files you could change that would change the carrier on the screen to say Verizon or whatever you wanted. It has to be a jailbroken iphone though. There is no way a GSM cell phone will work on a CDMA network.
    Last edited by pricej636; 02-22-09 at 09:15 PM.
    02-22-09 09:11 PM
    Back when I had my iphone, there were some files you could change that would change the carrier on the screen to say Verizon or whatever you wanted. It has to be a jailbroken iphone though. There is no way a GSM cell phone will work on a CDMA network.
    He's right. The iPhone doesn't have a radio that can take CDMA.
    02-22-09 11:04 PM
    iphone on verizon

02-22-09 11:07 PM
    what about with the verizon SIM card, will it work?
    02-22-09 11:07 PM
    what about with the verizon SIM card, will it work?
    Nope. That only works while you're out of North America.
    02-22-09 11:15 PM
    iPhone isn't worth it, when i had it the jailbreak wasnt even stable (not sure now) and my phone would freeze up everyday and the only way to fix it was through a comp. Imho the iPhone is just a toy.
    02-22-09 11:17 PM
    iphone on verizon

That's a total scam....
    02-22-09 11:19 PM
    As mentioned, it won't work on Verizon because it has no CDMA radio in it. It can be jailbroken to work on other GSM carriers though.

Plus, it's only the 8 Gig model. 8 Gigs is all you'll ever be able to have on that iPhone. The Storm has expandable memory and can take up to 32 Gigs. If you're using your phone as an MP3 player and such you don't want to be limited to 8 Gigs.

Even if it were a 16 Gig model I would be suspicious of anyone who wants to get rid of an iPhone that bad. It may be stolen in which case the ESN is bad and you're screwed for getting it hooked up to a carrier. Or it may be a faulty device. Believe it or not, Apple does make them! Even worse it could be a fake iPhone from China.

I wouldn't do it.
    02-23-09 12:01 AM
    i noticed on the "iphone on VZW" video his proof is he dialed "611" to show that he gets VZW customer care. most likely he just saved "1-800-922-0204" as a contact and named it "611" so it shows up like that in call logs. he never physically dialed "611" only used it out of recent calls.
    02-23-09 12:31 AM
    iphone on verizon

That's a total scam....
    Yeah, go to the website it lists, it tries to sign you up for some dumb ringtone service. There is no physical way a current iphone will talk to the verizon network. Its just not possible.
    02-23-09 12:36 AM
    the guy is trying to get people to click his link so he get money for it. i have a blacklist HOSTS file and it blocked his link for me because it is a known ads link .
    02-23-09 12:58 AM
    i noticed on the "iphone on VZW" video his proof is he dialed "611" to show that he gets VZW customer care. most likely he just saved "1-800-922-0204" as a contact and named it "611" so it shows up like that in call logs. he never physically dialed "611" only used it out of recent calls.
    Good point! I'm callin shenanigans
    02-23-09 01:10 AM
    i gotta go get my broom!
    02-23-09 01:11 AM
    Good point! I'm callin shenanigans
    epic win for jwizzle for squeezing in the south park reference AND getting post "187" on CB.

murdah murdah!
    02-23-09 01:12 AM
    Yeah .. I was seriously having doubts the iPhone had the capability to utilize CDMA .. thanks for verifying folks

Jeff
    02-23-09 05:09 AM

Jeff
    They're not doing it. The iPhone is a gsm phone which needs to work on a gsm network. It doesn't matter who's brother's cousin's friend or whoever has one and tells you his is on verizon. The phones hardware WILL NOT allow it to work on a cdma network.

I can't figure out why this is so fricken hard to understand.
    02-23-09 05:48 AM
    lol... shenanigans.

But seriously, it is shenanigans. Don't do it.
    02-23-09 06:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD