With all this discussion about what hardware the 9500/9530 has installed, does anyone one have pictures of the circuit boards, then perhaps this can be answered definitively. Go to the FCC site fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid (cant post link yet as this is a very noob post) , enter the fccid ( L6A RBW70CW ), select details, you can see internal photos of the device. I am not a wireless expert, but maybe someone here is.
    Great post and great resource... gonna try and compare this with a Bold ... (does someone have a 9520 laying around they can grab the FCC ID out of? )
    Last edited by pi_admin; 04-07-09 at 12:50 PM.
    04-07-09 12:27 PM
    You guys seem to like conspiracy theories so much, here's one.

September Storm won't be a new hardware upgrade. It will be an OS upgrade that will expand app memory to 256MB and enable WiFi on the current Storm.

That's right, it's fully capable of doing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I believe you, but why in the interview would they say things like making the camera 5mp and changing the sure type to true type. those are definitive hardware changes are they not?
    04-07-09 12:28 PM
    ... (does someone have a 9520 laying around they can grab the FCC ID out of? )
    If you still have your box that the 9520 came in ( carboard box), there should be a label on the side with all the specifics of your phone. The FCCID is included ( at least on mine).
    04-07-09 12:54 PM
    Delete?. Why this is golden!.
    If it was true it would be. There is still no proof. Therefore delete please
    04-07-09 01:16 PM
    In the world of the internet any one can be a pro or an insider and anyone can blog, tweet, chat, IM, and post about any rubbish they wish. It is just a shame that some use that ability to spread half truths and create "buzz" about non-subjects. 4 pages later and no one here is any closer to understanding the reason or the rhyme behind the OP. I mean, why can't we all just talk straight to one another or else keep quiet. Try and keep the facts straight because people who are new to the site or trying to get credible information about a product get turned around and misinformed. All because some log in ID is trying to get attention...
    04-07-09 01:30 PM
    In the world of the internet any one can be a pro or an insider and anyone can blog, tweet, chat, IM, and post about any rubbish they wish. It is just a shame that some use that ability to spread half truths and create "buzz" about non-subjects. 4 pages later and no one here is any closer to understanding the reason or the rhyme behind the OP. I mean, why can't we all just talk straight to one another or else keep quiet. Try and keep the facts straight because people who are new to the site or trying to get credible information about a product get turned around and misinformed. All because some log in ID is trying to get attention...
    Agreed. Well said.
    04-07-09 01:37 PM
    Following up, after a few more minutes looking at FCC stuff. Maybe someone here can elaborate further, but here's what I'm coming up with.

Preface: I assume if there was a WiFi radio in the 9500/9530 device (whether active from the factory or not); By law, it would have to be submitted to the FCC for testing. If nothing else, (again, only to my knowledge), the device would have to comply with Part 15 of the FCC regulations.

There are basically only 3 testing bands listed in the RIM's submission to the FCC for the Storm (models 9500 and 9530). These testing bands are: ~824MHz (GSM-850/1900), ~1.8Ghz(DCS-1800), and ~2.4GHz(BT, in this case). Yes, WiFi B and G use the 2.4GHz band; but WiFi uses DSS (this is the "channel" 1-14). In addition to this, the Assessment letter submitted to the FCC for the device does not show the device as capable on WiFi bands.

Compare this to the Bold (L6A RBT70UW) Assessment letter, which clearly states the 802.11a/b/g (WiFi) support.
    04-07-09 02:43 PM
    im pretty sure of two things here. first, is this post is pure sarcasm, and two, didnt someone open a storm up and prove theres no wi-fi chip or whatever you need built in?

im also pretty sure at this rate we'll have to wait till september to get a new official os. and because of that im pretty sure im going to look into getting a new blackberry by then because the dust is so bad in mine that i can barely read whats on the screen outside.
    if there's dust under your screen all you have to do is take it to verizon and they will send you a replacement. i went there on a monday and had my replacement by wednesday free of charge.
    04-07-09 02:46 PM
    it would be nice if it was true but you know Verizon would charge to activate it.
    04-07-09 03:53 PM
    @ pi admin: There is a quality post right there. It both adds to the discussion (by the way of discrediting the OP's "sarcastic?" post), and is composed intelligently enough to be comprehended by both new and old users of the platform.
    04-07-09 03:58 PM
    With all this discussion about what hardware the 9500/9530 has installed, does anyone one have pictures of the circuit boards, then perhaps this can be answered definitively. Go to the FCC site fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid (cant post link yet as this is a very noob post) , enter the fccid ( L6A RBW70CW ), select details, you can see internal photos of the device. I am not a wireless expert, but maybe someone here is.
    I think the pictures here are better BlackBerry Storm - phoneWreck
    04-07-09 04:00 PM
    Verizon has a problem with WiFi. It's weird but they obviously do. They could have included it in their devices long ago and everybody knows that and many people avoid them because of that (me) but they say no. There are no plans for WiFi in their hybrid version of the Bold/8900 (Niagra) either. Weird but true. Nobody in their right mind will really want no WiFi besides Verizon fanboys. Go figure.
    04-07-09 04:09 PM
    You said "****" huh-huh-uhuh-huh-huh-huh
    04-07-09 04:14 PM
    @ pi admin: There is a quality post right there. It both adds to the discussion (by the way of discrediting the OP's "sarcastic?" post), and is composed intelligently enough to be comprehended by both new and old users of the platform.
    Thanks, hopefully it helps start to clear this stuff up...
    I think the pictures here are better BlackBerry Storm - phoneWreck
    They are of higher quality, and do not point out a WiFi radio. Good find.
    Verizon has a problem with WiFi. It's weird but they obviously do. They could have included it in their devices long ago and everybody knows that and many people avoid them because of that (me) but they say no. There are no plans for WiFi in their hybrid version of the Bold/8900 (Niagra) either. Weird but true. Nobody in their right mind will really want no WiFi besides Verizon fanboys. Go figure.
    Round and round and round ... It's not Verizon. Verizon sells WiFi capable phones.
    04-07-09 04:15 PM
    Storm doesn't have a wifi antenna. That's like saying their gonna make a new car that goes super fast, but doesn't have wheels. Impossible.

04-07-09 04:29 PM
    Haha here's the real deal:

SlashGear reported on a rumor they heard about the next generation BlackBerry Storm launching with Wi-Fi on Verizon Wireless. We�ve been able to confirm that rumor a pretty long while ago, so yes, the Storm 2 will launch on Verizon with Wi-Fi. SlashGear was correct in their report and it�s 100% confirmed. Something not reported though, and now confirmed to us by two independent sources, is the new screen tech involved. We�re told that it improves the screen enormously and makes typing really pleasurable. Better yet? You can leave it to RIM to come up with the dumbest names possible because we heard they�re ditching SurePress and calling this one TruePress. Don�t take that as fact, but it is interesting that both our sources had mentioned the same thing to us. So, the BlackBerry Storm 2 will launch with Wi-Fi and a brand new screen technology, and, if we were a betting bunch we�d wager it will have a 5 megapixel camera.

Don�t you just love rumors?
    BlackBerry Storm 2 with Wi-Fi and a new screen : Boy Genius Report

So in summation, yes it will be an entirely new phone.
    04-07-09 04:31 PM
    Following up, after a few more minutes looking at FCC stuff. Maybe someone here can elaborate further, but here's what I'm coming up with.

Preface: I assume if there was a WiFi radio in the 9500/9530 device (whether active from the factory or not); By law, it would have to be submitted to the FCC for testing. If nothing else, (again, only to my knowledge), the device would have to comply with Part 15 of the FCC regulations.

There are basically only 3 testing bands listed in the RIM's submission to the FCC for the Storm (models 9500 and 9530). These testing bands are: ~824MHz (GSM-850/1900), ~1.8Ghz(DCS-1800), and ~2.4GHz(BT, in this case). Yes, WiFi B and G use the 2.4GHz band; but WiFi uses DSS (this is the "channel" 1-14). In addition to this, the Assessment letter submitted to the FCC for the device does not show the device as capable on WiFi bands.

Compare this to the Bold (L6A RBT70UW) Assessment letter, which clearly states the 802.11a/b/g (WiFi) support.
    Thanks for the info. Its a bit refreshing to hear from someone that has actual evidence other than to say "it is fact" and like a herd we are supposed to believe it.
    04-07-09 04:32 PM
    Nice. VZW wonderful timing. I'm just past my 30 days with Storm. Been getting by relatively well on .113 and now they drop this "Storm 2" bomb.

Sigh.

Guess I can hope they offer some type of trade-up credit to all of us Storm beta testers.
    04-07-09 04:43 PM
    You guys seem to like conspiracy theories so much, here's one.

September Storm won't be a new hardware upgrade. It will be an OS upgrade that will expand app memory to 256MB and enable WiFi on the current Storm.

That's right, it's fully capable of doing it.

ok why isnt this locked no link no pic no nothing???? and without a screenshot of proof of any thing like you guys always say its a lie so prove it....mods lock this like you lock all the other speculation threads....
    04-07-09 04:49 PM
    OMG!!! For a moment I got excited with the new updated, until I got to pg.4 and 5, lol

04-07-09 04:54 PM
    Since Civic started it, I just can't resist...

Storm doesn't have a wifi antenna. That's like saying their gonna make a new car that goes super fast, but doesn't have wheels. Impossible.

And the iPod Touch doesn't have a bluetooth chip...

Oh... Wait...

*runs for cover*
    04-07-09 05:11 PM
    Bbbbbsssss!
    04-07-09 06:04 PM

Oh... Wait...

*runs for cover*
    That's a good point. I hope it's true, but for some reason, I still feel like the Storm 2 rumor is more likely to happen.........
    04-07-09 06:16 PM

Oh... Wait...

*runs for cover*
    I think I will stay under the covers for this one. This bluetooth stuff seems real on the Ipod touch.

Hiding... hiding ... hiding.
    04-07-09 08:11 PM
    I think I will stay under the covers for this one. This bluetooth stuff seems real on the Ipod touch.

Hiding... hiding ... hiding.
    Actually it's quite real. There was an ongoing argument that the iPod Touch did not have bluetooth, including things like Debunk: the iPod touch Bluetooth chip is really the Nike+ receiver

With the announcement of the 3.0 upgrade, Apple put it to rest.
    04-07-09 08:15 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD