You guys seem to like conspiracy theories so much, here's one.

September Storm won't be a new hardware upgrade. It will be an OS upgrade that will expand app memory to 256MB and enable WiFi on the current Storm.

That's right, it's fully capable of doing it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Are you SERIOUS!!!!!!
    04-07-09 06:08 AM
    You guys seem to like conspiracy theories so much, here's one.

September Storm won't be a new hardware upgrade. It will be an OS upgrade that will expand app memory to 256MB and enable WiFi on the current Storm.

That's right, it's fully capable of doing it.

Furthermore, not only will this new OS not have memory leaks, it will also engage a hidden radio that will actually steal memory from any iPhone user within a 100 yard radius.
    04-07-09 06:32 AM
    As far as the Wifi, I reserve comment. The App Memory, though brings up an interesting point. I by no means have any idea what hardware exactly is inside this lovely device that rules my life, but consider for a secong the concept of a low-end iPod Shuffle. Originally comes with a 1 gig memory, however it is possible to "upgrade" to a 2 gig memory with a firmware update. The factory memory is actually partitioned to allow for for this option. So while it actually has a 2 gig memory from the factory, only 1 gig is usable until you purchase the firmware upgrade to remove the partition.

I could see this as a possibility with the Storm's App memory, intentionally partitioning the available space, creating the demand for more App memory, which has been there all along, only needing to be "unlocked".

How's that for a conspiracy theory?
    04-07-09 06:33 AM
    Furthermore, not only will this new OS not have memory leaks, it will also engage a hidden radio that will actually steal memory from any iPhone user within a 100 yard radius.
    Lmao. Classic.
    04-07-09 06:40 AM
    Either way, i'll end up buying it anyways.. ugh.. maybe I'll give my current storm to the wife..
    04-07-09 08:13 AM
    I just find the humor in 'who' posted this.
    If it was anybody else, they would have been cut, flamed, and burned to a crisp. LOL
    If it were anyone else, SHE would have cut, flamed, and burned them to a crisp....
    04-07-09 08:19 AM
    Civic I know, amongst most others here, that you are a very credible person. The knowledge and help you have given had been invaluable to this forum. Knowing how people get bashed and flammed for posting these kind of things, why would you inadvertently try to loose any of that credibility to post something like this? Many people here take your word to be fact and perhaps you may have access to information we don't. So you must know that when you jokingly post these things people will go a little crazy. I don't mean any disrespect, I just don't want to see you loose any of that. Stirring the pot isn't needed when its already swirling.

04-07-09 08:21 AM
    thank you for clearing that up...my head was starting to hurt from all the madness and speculation. VERIZON IS OUT TO GET ME!!! lol.
    04-07-09 08:27 AM
    I just find the humor in 'who' posted this.
    If it was anybody else, they would have been cut, flamed, and burned to a crisp. LOL
    i don't see why. civic is a 'RELIABLE' source.
    04-07-09 08:29 AM
    [QaUOTE=madisonjar;2203970]actually if you guys think about it could be true, GSM storms have wifi, they arent going to develop a whole new phone just for gsm are they? interesting Civ good food for thought anyways.[/QUOTE]

Somebody posted pics of the hardware on the GSM next to the CDMA. Where the wifi chip is on the GSM is where the radio is on the CDMA. Since 9530 has both radios, while the 9500 only has one, they have room for the wifi, we don't.
    Now the only way I could see around this is if its been under our noses the whole time and the CDMA radio was also a wifi built into one. I don't know if its possible but that would have been one heck of a secret. Wouldn't make sense if you ask me because they could have advertised that it had wifi right off the bat, and I doubt RIM didn't not know enough about their own hardware to have just figured out they could do it.

04-07-09 08:31 AM
    When do we get the software update that enables the secret slide-out keyboard to pop out?
    04-07-09 08:54 AM
    Well as a newbie and a consumer on this forum I am a little upset that this thread was even started. It seems to me that the OP was a sarcastic post and should be deleted for several reasons. First off it does not do anything to help readers or consumers. It only entices and incites line after line of doubt and jibberish. And lastly, it only furthers the beliefs of some groups that the Storm is a piece of junk phone only worthy of these silly and stupid posts. I wish this site would get back to being informative and get away from being so silly...
    04-07-09 08:59 AM
    Okay, how come we are capable of having WiFi? wouldnt that mean we need a hardware update? or is that just for the 9500? Im in Canada with a 9530, and that sounds fishy to me.
    04-07-09 09:04 AM
    Maybe RIM is collaborating with U2 and the sept release will be a Storm U2 instead of V2 lol

04-07-09 09:11 AM
    I'm in agreement here, I can't believe the post by such a normally credible source. I understand that she believes that the hardware is there; but to create such a thread, with no backup, source, or links ... is ridiculous. Anyone else posting this would have been practically banned and the thread locked and closed.

It is, to my understanding, that the hardware (WiFi radio) isn't even in the 9500 or 9530 devices; and it doesn't have anything to do with any specific carrier. Maybe it was a space limitation or simply a RIM decision, but I really don't think that it's there. If it was, wouldn't someone (after months of being on the market) have figured out how to turn it on already? I think so.

I would appreciate (and, I'm sure I speak for quite a few of us) if someone in the "know" could clear this up, or simply close the thread...
    04-07-09 09:17 AM
    Civ, you forgot to mention that the new Storm has 8GB on board mem, and is Flash capable.
    04-07-09 09:21 AM
    No WIFI on these puppies. There is no antenna built into the unit for Wifi which operates at a different frequency. Maybe the antenna in the unit will do up to 2.4 GHz but I highly doubt it. Would be too much interference I think.

I think for all the carriers to have a Wifi enabled Storm and not let people use it is a bit dumb. Plus I'm sure like someone else here said that we most likely would have seen someone crack it.
    04-07-09 09:28 AM
    Civic I know, amongst most others here, that you are a very credible person. The knowledge and help you have given had been invaluable to this forum. Knowing how people get bashed and flammed for posting these kind of things, why would you inadvertently try to loose any of that credibility to post something like this? Many people here take your word to be fact and perhaps you may have access to information we don't. So you must know that when you jokingly post these things people will go a little crazy. I don't mean any disrespect, I just don't want to see you loose any of that. Stirring the pot isn't needed when its already swirling.

Lol at the bold part.

Somebody posted pics of the hardware on the GSM next to the CDMA. Where the wifi chip is on the GSM is where the radio is on the CDMA. Since 9530 has both radios, while the 9500 only has one, they have room for the wifi, we don't.
    Now the only way I could see around this is if its been under our noses the whole time and the CDMA radio was also a wifi built into one. I don't know if its possible but that would have been one heck of a secret. Wouldn't make sense if you ask me because they could have advertised that it had wifi right off the bat, and I doubt RIM didn't not know enough about their own hardware to have just figured out they could do it.

I don't think you know quite what you're trying to say here. The 9500 and 9530 are completely identical inside and out in terms of hardware. The low level software on the device is what controls it's radios. This IS fact... it's been substantiated. The only mentioned Storm with blatant WiFi advertising is the 9520 and NO ONE has yet taken that puppy appart to compare and contrast for the general public.

No WIFI on these puppies. There is no antenna built into the unit for Wifi which operates at a different frequency. Maybe the antenna in the unit will do up to 2.4 GHz but I highly doubt it. Would be too much interference I think.

I think for all the carriers to have a Wifi enabled Storm and not let people use it is a bit dumb. Plus I'm sure like someone else here said that we most likely would have seen someone crack it.
    Perhaps you should ask why Verizon is geared up to release the Niagra with the WiFi disabled on it? That phone is fully capable of having WiFi on it... again, we know this for a fact. That phone has also seemed to have had it's onboard storage yanked off as well. It has more app memory allocation at 256MB, but the 1GB of onboard Flash for media storage is not there. Sure, it could be something that was omited off the early 4.7.1.x software revisions in the reviews, but if not and it'll release like that.... why?... it has the same chipset the Storm has in it, supposedly. If that's true, it's quite possibly that Verizon didn't want the memory capabilities of that phone to compete with the Storm too much. Who knows what the "behind the scenes" reasoning is, but one thing is for sure.... the hardware capabilities of these devices are controlled above and beyond the software abilities we on the consumer end have access to. This is why you'll still be waiting a bit longer before anyone cracks anything RIM.
    04-07-09 09:43 AM
    This would be nice if it were true.
    04-07-09 09:45 AM
    DIAF

msglngth
    04-07-09 09:47 AM
    With all this discussion about what hardware the 9500/9530 has installed, does anyone one have pictures of the circuit boards, then perhaps this can be answered definitively. Go to the FCC site fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid (cant post link yet as this is a very noob post) , enter the fccid ( L6A RBW70CW ), select details, you can see internal photos of the device. I am not a wireless expert, but maybe someone here is.
    04-07-09 11:56 AM
    Your Wifi doesnt work?
    04-07-09 11:59 AM
    Even if there is WiFi I highly doubt that Verizon will "unlock" it or even allow RIM to release the means to do so. And I believe radio said in another post that there will be no WiFi for the storm. I believe radio more than civic.
    04-07-09 12:03 PM
    i think this thread needs to be deleted.
    04-07-09 12:07 PM
    Delete?. Why this is golden!.
    04-07-09 12:23 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD