Hi All,
    I'm looking to find a way to separate work and personal contacts. What I would like to do is to make it "difficult" to get to a work contact, if that makes sense. I am paranoid of typing in a name and clicking the wrong contact to call or message. It hasn't happened yet but I'm paranoid anyway.

Ideally I would be have to select my "work" contact list to view, call or message someone from it. But my "personal" contacts would come up with no additional prompts.

Does anyone no of a good app for that? I have looked and I can't find a way to do it without an app.
    11-09-09 09:16 AM
    This won't work from the phone app, but...

The ability to "filter" your contacts is built into the OS. I sync my BB to Outlook and if you assign "Categories" in your contacts those can be filtered on your BB. I believe you can also assign a category to a contact on your BB.

Once you have your contacts categorized. In Contacts, hit the BB Button and choose Filter. Then select the category you only want to see (i.e personal contacts). Every time you open contacts you will only see the category selected.
    11-09-09 09:57 AM
    Thanks, that will help when viewing contacts from the Contacts screen.
    I would also like to have the filter on when I open up the phone or SMS/email screen too.

I looked at the apps on CB and didn't see anything that will do that. Maybe I'm the only on that wants to do that.
    11-09-09 10:03 AM
    You're not the only one that would find value in the option to put contacts into groups. When I got my BB last year I too looked for a way to do what you're asking. Nada.

When I did go thru the trouble of creating the categories and applying each of the 100+ contacts into a particular category, I never could get the contact/phone/sms screen to filter appropriately. Plus, I wanted the option to always open to a defaul category and couldnt get that to work either. Wasted about five hours of my time doing all that...

There are some days I really miss that old razor phone... LOL

Maybe someone will make an app for it..... ::crosses fingers

11-09-09 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD