I was wondering if anyone on here has received a phone that had either a scratched or cracked screen right out of the box?

The reason I ask is because there appears to be a scratch about half an inch long right in the middle of my screen. Now I know that many people here don't actually read these threads, but hopefully if I bold this they will before responding with a useless response. I know that there is a factory screen protector on the device which scratches easily. I still have that on and am hesitant to take it off so that I can prove to Verizon that the screen was scratched prior to me receiving it. The screen protector does not appear to be torn and I'd assume it would have to be for the actual screen to scratch. The reason I believe that the screen might actually be scratched/cracked is when you look at it with the screen lit up completely white, you can see it and it changes colors as you change the viewing angle. Every other scratch that has since found a home on the protector does not do this.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had something like this happen or if I'm the only one. I want to know how common it might be before going to Verizon, which I won't do until I get my new screen protector in the mail so that I can put that back on as soon as we take the factory one off at Verizon (assuming the screen in fact isn't scratched/cracked).

Thanks for the help,

Dasle

P.S. Thanks to those of you who actually read and post a useful response rather than just criticizing me about how I'm stupid to not know about the factory screen protector and insist on reiterating this over and over again even though others have probably stated it and that isn't what I'm looking for anyway.
    03-12-09 05:26 PM
    hmmm... how long ago did you purchase your phone? If it was pretty recent then i'd go back to verizon and have them replace it asap. Because it's not common at all... the device even the screen protector should be flawless when purchased brand new. But if it's been awhile since you first purchased your phone... you might have a lot of explaining to do... but be firm... even if you have to be an ******* about it... do it. Customers can get their way eventually... trust me i know... i use to work for a cell phone company. Sorry... hope this helps
    03-12-09 05:33 PM
    I have not heard of this as being a problem, but I'm sure if you take off the factory protector at the store and they can see it's an actual crack, they will certainly replace it. But while I am aware of other known problems (i.e the dust under screen issue) I have not heard of this issue.
    03-12-09 05:38 PM
    yep, it is either a crack in the glass or it is a scratch on the factory protector, the glass screen does not scratch, believe me, I tryed with my last storm before returning it.
    03-12-09 05:54 PM
    yep, it is either a crack in the glass or it is a scratch on the factory protector, the glass screen does not scratch, believe me, I tryed with my last storm before returning it.
    don't give out false information.... the screen does scratch. if your around sand at all, the screen will be ruined. trust me, already had 2 insurance claims on my scratched up screens
    03-12-09 06:32 PM
    If you just got it... take it back. You can get a brand new replacement within the first 30 day's.... Take it back ASAP though, and leave all the plastic coverings on it.
    03-12-09 06:41 PM
    I dont see why you are reluctant to take it back. If there is something wrong and you just bought it, it needs to be replaced.
    03-12-09 06:57 PM
    The first replacement Verizon sent me was a New-In-Box unit...and there was a chip out of the edge of the screen.10 minutes on the phone with a VZW rep and another replacement was sent out overnight, no questions asked, with a huge apology.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 08:06 PM
    Thanks for the responses. I'll update you guys after I talk to Verizon.
    03-12-09 09:37 PM
    I know you know about the screen protector, but I have imperfections in my screen protector that cause the changes in color at angles too, so I wouldn't use that as evidence of a problem with the screen itself.
    03-12-09 09:39 PM
    I know you know about the screen protector, but I have imperfections in my screen protector that cause the changes in color at angles too, so I wouldn't use that as evidence of a problem with the screen itself.
    Thanks a lot. That gives me more hope that it is just the factory screen protector.
    03-12-09 09:46 PM
    It could also be something under the screen protector.
    03-12-09 09:49 PM
    Thanks a lot. That gives me more hope that it is just the factory screen protector.
    Yeah, I'd take a picture but even with my camera, which is pretty good, I don't think I'd be able to get a decent shot in macro. But it looks exactly like what you described in the same situation (bright white screen).
    03-12-09 09:52 PM
    Just got my screen protectors in and thought I'd update all of you who might have been curious. It was in fact a scratch on the screen protector. I'm still not sure how exactly how the scratch got there out of the box since it was within the factory screen protector and not a surface scratch.

Anyway, thanks for those of you who commented.
    03-25-09 11:27 PM
    Glad you got a positive resolution
    03-26-09 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD