I'm on Verizon and I don't want to switch carriers. I want a smartphone
    with a large glass screen so the Storm is my only choice. I have
    been reading the Storm forums almost since it was launched. I'm not
    worried about the Storm software--RIM is clearly addressing the issues.

I am worried about the hardware. I keep seeing posts about
    people returning their phones multiple time due to click problems and
    dust under the screen. I'm going to get the phone but I want to wait until
    it is safe. I don't want to get stuck in the endless return cycle.

So I'd like to get the sense of the Storm community on a couple of questions.

1. What really are my odds of getting a good phone (good click, no
    future dust leakage) the first time? Am I seeing a lot of posts on
    hardware problems because people having no problems just don't post?

2. What do people think about the potential for a new hardware revision
    in the near future that will address the hardware problems?
    01-13-09 05:37 PM
    IMO, my answer is a resounding NO. Go to the rants n raves section and read my new thread I made after being in a VZ store today.
    01-13-09 05:40 PM
    Unless you're rolling around in a dirt pile, I don't see how you can get so much "dust" under the screen that it would make it inoperable. Buy a case, a pouch, a sleeve, something.
    01-13-09 05:43 PM
    Well, a ton of us don't roll around in piles of dirt, and we have dust. Will it make the phone inoperable? Probably not, but it's extremely irritating and disconcerting that a device like this would have that issue. The screen is beautiful so why would anyone put up with dust messing it up? Oh, and I got cases up the whazoo, and still dust prevails. IMO, that's the main issue right now. The screen click with newer made Storms seem to be great, but the dust issue remains. No way in **** would I recommend the Storm to anyone until this gets fixed.
    01-13-09 05:53 PM
    Well, I got one, because I'm a sucker for punishment. The better half wants one too, but she is NOT as tolerant of bugs, battery pulls, etc. So I advised her to wait another 4 - 6 weeks and we can re-evaluate.
    01-13-09 06:08 PM
    Imo I have had the storm in the uk since launch. About 2 weeks prior to vzw. I have had no issues apart from the software bugs. Etc. I have no dust and I do not use any skin or pouch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 06:13 PM
    I too have no dust although I use a holster.
    01-13-09 06:22 PM
    no dust no click issues no problem except utter addiction to this masterpiece.

best phone ever by far. launch storm here. she seems to get faster everyday i use her
    01-13-09 06:24 PM
    I have had mine since 11/26. Is it perfect...no. Is it very good in many ways...yes. Is it right for you...every one is different so it is hard to say.

Regarding the dust issue I understand peoples concern but I don't really see how the gap can be closed much since the screen had to move to click. "Clicking" is one of the big differences in the phone so how would they change it?
    01-13-09 06:25 PM
    I got mine on the 22nd of December and it's been fine. My worst (and only) problems have both been random reboots. Both times the phone had been on for several days - I've been rebooting every once in a while now and it's been perfect ever since. I was running .75 at the time. No dust issues, no lint issues, the hardware itself has been perfect. I do keep it in my belt case, so that may be a big part of why it's dust-free, it's only been in my pocket once, and only for a moment.

I also have a co-worker who picked one up on launch day (US) and his has been 100% flawless. If you're worried about it, just take out insurance so you can swap the phone if it really ends up being so bad. To be honest, I do think the issues are largely under control now, so I imagine it will be a safe purchase.
    01-13-09 06:32 PM
    If you want to wait for a new release I think you will be waiting for a whole lot longer. When you buy one, just test drive the heck out of it before you walk out of the store. Make sure the screen is clicking properly on all corners and in the center. Check for a gab between the screen and the housing. Look to see if the four buttons on the bottom feel firm and secure, sometimes the glue they use to hold them on isn't enough (my red key is coming off kinda). Most of all just play around with it and see what you think. Most of the problems are software related but with each update (leaked is the same as official) the phone seems to improve...IMHO!

Even though people are saying this phone is a hassel at times, I would say it is worth it! This phone is amazing and it is only a matter of time until they get this device cruising...

If you are worried about dust I got a link at the bottom of my sig that might help a bit, I use it and so far 2 months...perfect (phone is always in my back pocket)
    01-13-09 06:37 PM
    Go for it. I've had mine since November and have not had any problems that I cannot live with - and I'm pretty picky. Realize that most people who post here will be trying to find answers to issues they perceive happening to them, so the negativity here should be taken with some moderation.

I would think that the hardware is pretty much set. It would not surprise me if a new hardware version came out eventually (witness the iPhone) as phones of all types are commodities.

If it seems to be a tool that will do the job you need, that's all the confirmation (I would think) you need.
    01-13-09 06:42 PM
    if you are worried about hardware issues then MY PERSONAL OPINION I would say go for it. My mom received a phone with the "click issue" so I returned it for her and got her a new one witch works just fine. I was lucky enough to have one that worked just fine. So between my mom and I there is a 2:3 ratio of functioning to non functioning phone lol.
    I work in grease and dirt and don't baby my phones and have dropped my storm on a cement floor. it works just fine still, granted i do have the rubber case thing on it and a screen protector.

I guess one can propose the question of if there will be hardware upgrades in future production models like more memory and such. But I certainly can't answer that question.

what is a huge issue for me now that I got over the learning curve of the phone is purely the lack of apps and flash support. This phone, AS OF RIGHT NOW, is the most useless of the three smart phones i have spent time with (iphone google phone and storm). I completely understand that the Iphone had similar issues when it first came out and has a leg up on the storm as far as time on the market and that the storm is more than capable of being a competitor, but for now its frustratingly handicapped.
    the google phone hasn't been out for too long and its flooded with apps. you can find new ones every day. so why cant the storm be like that? google phone can even take media off of your playstation3. pretty cool.

im sticking with my storm though in hopes that it will catch up. *crosses fingers*

btw, my mom loves her storm its very user friendly and for a 62 year old thats saying something with a hi tech phone. it does everything she wants it to do. and the email sync is great.
    Last edited by berkdog84; 01-13-09 at 07:03 PM.
    01-13-09 06:59 PM
    I've had my storm for nearly a month and have no intention to give it up. I simply love the thing. I was a little weary of the screen at frist due to the gap around the edges... but I just snagged the insurance plan and if something should happen I'll swap it out and problem solved. I have no dust under my screen and I switch between a holster and my pocket. I spend A LOT of time on my storm... If you treat it for what it is then I don't believe you should have a problem. It is a blackberry, PDA 1st and phone 2nd. I treat mine no different than I treat my laptop or any other device that I would transport. If you have a problem dropping your phone in the toilet or drop kicking it then I would probably say its not something for you but otherwise I feel it is a great phone.
    01-13-09 08:02 PM
    My Storm has been flawless except for some software issues. This is a great phone with really good reception. The camera is a bit frustrating, but I really have no complaints. My Canada built version was purchased late Nov.
    01-13-09 08:10 PM
    I have had my Storm for about a week and am seriously wondering how I lived without it. No problems whatsoever. I am biased though, this is my first BB (lived with Treo's and WinMo) and I love it.

Quite a bunch of people are complaining about lack of WiFi, but I have to tell you I had WiFi capability on my WinMo (verizon) but never used it. I guess I'm just not that ADD addled, I can wait ten seconds for a page to load.

I read every review known to man-kind before purchasing and came to the conclusion most of the reviewers were just BB haters or adverse to change.

For the record, I owned a first-gen iPhone and if you want to talk about a piece of crap let the discussion begin.

I truly believe that blackberries (esp. Storm) rule the world. I come to this conclusion after managing email on the above mentioned phones vs. a BB.
    01-13-09 08:42 PM
    im sticking with my storm though in hopes that it will catch up. *crosses fingers...
    Unfortunately I am of the opposite persuasion. I have one of the original release units since 10 am 11/21/08. I consider myself lucky that my phone had relatively few issues and it improved considerably when I upgraded to the official .75 firmware. Nevertheless, this device's performance did not live up to the expectations that I had for a smart phone in general nor for BlackBerry in particular.
    I've patiently waited for almost eight weeks for this device to work as advertised and I for one am not going to risk getting stuck and hoping that the manufacturers of this lemon will get around to fixing it. I just got off the phone with CS and had them note my account that I'm returning my unit for a full refund and I'm going back to being contract free as I was on the 21st of Nov.
    I've been doing my homework and there's too many cool devices in the pipes for later this year(e.g.- Pre') to get caught praying or hoping to get my monies worth.
    01-13-09 08:52 PM
    I've had the Storm since mid-dec and I really like it but it does have some quirks...My camera shutterspeed is way too slow and the flash is torture for others. Its great for web-surfing and I was just in Rome,Italy and the Google maps app was a lifesaver locating me and taking me to my destination...
    The phone is great and I've adjusted to click/ typing screen. Not a heavy emailer though.....more of a web surfer
    My boyfriend had the 8830 worldphone and thinks mine is far superior.It was only $150 w/ a rebate...
    For that price I think it's a steal honestly
    01-13-09 09:18 PM
    I would say yes go ahead and get it, but I have not had problems with my Storm, received the day before Thanksgiving. But, since you have been keeping up with the forum and still feel compeled to ask the question, I would tend to say you are not yet ready.
    01-13-09 09:20 PM
    When was it not safe?
    01-13-09 09:25 PM
    had my storm since boxing day and no complaints except for some software issues and a HORRIBLE installation of the IS screen protector that i did haha!
    01-13-09 09:57 PM
    I've had mine for a couple of weeks and encountered no problems with dust, buttons falling off, or click problems.

Of course, after my 30 day trial period is up, I'm sure it will instantaneously fall apart.
    01-13-09 11:09 PM
    i've had mine now for a week or so and haven't had any issues at all. i switched from iphone and i'm loving every minute of it. and i was madly in love with my "jesus phone" . with a few tips of this site it's been awesome:.... get one. get opera mini. put everything in folders. clear your event log periodicly. pull the battery once a day. be happy and learn more
    01-13-09 11:21 PM
    When was it not safe?
    My thoughts exactly. If you wait for the thing to be perfect you will NEVER get a phone. Every phone has issues, none are perfect and bug free.
    01-13-09 11:29 PM
    I got mine and my wife's 11/21 ... the first day. So did one of my co-workers. Since then 4 others at have gotten a Storm. All of us enjoy them, understand they are a phone and but also much, much more! It's Not a perfect machine but none of us have had any of the returnable problems which some have had here.
    As far as waiting for a "better Storm" or waiting for another phone that's in the "pipe", well, once again, there is not a "perfect" machine. You could end up waiting for nothing and actually missing out on something!
    01-13-09 11:51 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD