Newbie question

I frequently am in an area that is not serviced by Verizon. I had assumed (yeah, I know the translation of that word) and was given the impression by the Verizon employee that when the roaming reception was good/excellent I would be able to access the internet and email with my Storm. I can not. My Storm shows a 1X - no access to anything except the phone even with 5 bars reception showing . Certainly makes the Storm a poor choice for people who travel through areas that Verizon does not have their own towers.

Is there a solution to this? or is it a "just live with it" problem?

Ignorance is not bliss.
    01-27-09 05:45 PM
    My messages and internet work great for me when I'm on 1X and don't even have a bar. I use it all the time up north and it works fine even for tethering.
    01-27-09 06:13 PM
    try setting network to 3G or gsm.
    01-27-09 06:37 PM
    Silver04XLT

What OS revision are you using? I have not been comfortable enough with the phone yet to install the leaked versions so I am still using .75 Do you have any idea what you settings you might have activated that has allowed you the access? I guess I should have added I live in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in Central California.
    01-27-09 06:38 PM
    kcpaynev1

I accessed the option and my phone's Mobile Network was set as follows:

-Data Services: On - I left it alone
    -Mobile Network: None - The preferred network list appears to be international so I left it alone
    -Network Selection Mode: Automatic - I left it as is
    -Network Technology: 1XEV - I changed it to GSM/UMTS
    -Network Mode: 3G & 2G - I have now changed it to just 3G

I won't be albe to test it until tomorrow. Hope it works.

Thank you for your response
    01-27-09 07:03 PM
    I have used it on almost every OS. They all worked the same for me. As far as settings I have only tried messing with the global and 1XEV but did not get any better or worse service because of changing it. I usually have it set to 1XEV now but it still made no difference in bars for me.
    01-27-09 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD