I've been dealing with this same issue since I got my storm. I have set different ring tones for different contacts and it just chooses it's own ringtones and often doesn't ring at all. I've missed many calls from this issue. It's a basic operation that doesn't even work. I have no solution to this issue. I've tried everything. Does anyone have any idea why this happens?
    01-18-09 07:34 PM
    Okay, a couple of things to each of you since you are all asking similar questions. If you are setting specific ringtones for individuals, under phone/edit/volume where it says active profile you need to highlight this and actually choose a volume. Otherwise it wont ring for that contact. Also, if you leave vibrate on, it will NOT vibrate and ring together like a non BB device.

Another thing to be aware of, sometimes with the Storm, when you dl mp3 for ringers, if you delete them, even tho they dont show under your ringtonnes in the media section, you will still see them when you are in the contacts application (dunno why its a bug) so if you have deleted and added a new version of an mp3 and didnt change the name, you could have a dead version or a ghost file that you are asigning. Dont throw it out the window, 95% of the time, its the user, not the phone. Big learning curve, hang in there.

Oh and if you have your ringtones on your media card instead of device memory, it can at times take them so long to start ringing your voicemail might pick up before you ever ear your phone ring if you have anny delay at the front of the song or if the lead in is soft so move them to device memory and tey will respond quicker. Check all of these things out.
    Last edited by Elven; 01-18-09 at 08:01 PM. Reason: cuz when i read it it was clear as mud
    01-18-09 07:50 PM
    Still trying to find a way to transfer some of the files I placed in the ringtones folder to be used as a sms, mms, email alert tone. Not seeing a folder for this and cant find an option on the blackberry itself.
    01-18-09 08:29 PM
    Check out the storm tutorial and some of the older storm posts on the board. Theres lots of good info there. BB is not like a traditional phone. Everything you want to do with this device will be done in the individual application you are working with. In this case you want to set SMS alert sounds so you go to you home screen and click on SMS icon then click (here's the important part) the blackberry button. A menu will pop up and message alerts will be an option on that menu. You can set your alert sounds from there. The blackberry (menu) button will give you a pretty much application specific menu for every function on the phone if you open the app you wish to work with.
    Last edited by Elven; 01-18-09 at 09:14 PM. Reason: typos of course
    01-18-09 09:13 PM
    Thats the thing. The ringtones I have added do not show up in the list. Is there a specific folder I have to copy the files to? The ringtones show up in the ringtones area on the phone and can be used as call ringtones but dont show up for the alerts.
    01-18-09 09:17 PM
    ohhhhhhhh. You said they set up fine for ringtones right? They actually pull from the same folder. If you can acess them as ringtones then you should be able to access them as alerts. As long as they are in the ringtones folder they are accessable for any sound function on the device. Maybe you had a bad download. I had that with a couple. My phone found them when I did a soft reset. I loaded alot a once. Try a battery pull if you still dont find the songs dump and reload them.
    01-18-09 09:32 PM
    If they work as ringtones and are in the ringtones folder, they will show up as an option for any sound you can set on the storm. Everything I have DL to my RT folder pulls to any alert option on my phone. Unless you got a bad DL and maybe the phone isnt recognizing it all.......I loaded alot of music in one day and had to do a battery pull for it to find it all in all menus. I tried to find any alert on my storm that wouldn't work from the ringtones folder and I can't make mine not work...sorry. Nnow I'm gonna fix my phone back
    Last edited by Elven; 01-18-09 at 09:43 PM.
    01-18-09 09:40 PM
    I'm having the same issue...a reset gets them back to working but then through the course of the day, it stops alerting me for emails (that's what I have set it to) while the ringtone for calls works and my other email does too....everything is on the device memory and I am running .85
    01-22-09 06:28 PM
    Okay, a couple of things to each of you since you are all asking similar questions. If you are setting specific ringtones for individuals, under phone/edit/volume where it says active profile you need to highlight this and actually choose a volume. Otherwise it wont ring for that contact. Also, if you leave vibrate on, it will NOT vibrate and ring together like a non BB device.

Another thing to be aware of, sometimes with the Storm, when you dl mp3 for ringers, if you delete them, even tho they dont show under your ringtonnes in the media section, you will still see them when you are in the contacts application (dunno why its a bug) so if you have deleted and added a new version of an mp3 and didnt change the name, you could have a dead version or a ghost file that you are asigning. Dont throw it out the window, 95% of the time, its the user, not the phone. Big learning curve, hang in there.

Oh and if you have your ringtones on your media card instead of device memory, it can at times take them so long to start ringing your voicemail might pick up before you ever ear your phone ring if you have anny delay at the front of the song or if the lead in is soft so move them to device memory and tey will respond quicker. Check all of these things out.
    Thanks for the detailed and patient response. CB needs more users like you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 11:07 PM
    The same exact thing is happening to me... I lose alert sounds but Mp3s play fine (as ringtones as well). The only solution is a battery pull and less than 24 hours it dies again.

I just stopped using Quickpull and started noticing it, so maybe the nightly reboot was masking this issue?

This has to be chalked up to a bug in the OS, I use a custom profile and only my original alert sounds don't work... makes no sense.
    03-16-09 09:13 PM
    this happened to me couple of times
    03-16-09 10:27 PM
    I was going to create a new post to ask about this issue, but since this seems to be pretty much the exact issue I am having, I'll bump it up to the top and see if anyone else has any more wisdom.

The main thing I am noticing is no SMS alerts for people who I have set up custom ring tones for. This is particularly true when I have the phone in the holster. I have gone in to the contact alerts and changed the settings for messages (set the volume, turned vibrate to off, etc.) and done everything I know how to do to make it make some kind of noise and it still is not working. It will play the noise if I hit "Try It" but not when I am receiving an actual message. I am running .75 OS because that's what my Storm came with and I'm too chicken to try a beta. I've only had the phone for a week so I'm trying to be patient but at this point the only thing I can think of to try is just eliminating any custom ring tones I have set up for people, and I'm not even sure that will solve the problem. I'd welcome any ideas!
    03-17-09 12:11 PM
    My Storm is problematic too. About 10 days ago, my storm stopped ringing aloud when my bluetooth is activated. In-store tech guy said "Oh, all our phones do that.." I know he's full of it. Phone occasionally reboots on it's own too. Real fun when you are waiting for a call to see it reboot for 3 minutes.

Any suggestions?
    05-13-09 08:26 PM
    A co-worker has a 8330 Curve and he is having the same problems, seems that Battpull or quickpull fixes it, but what i want to know is what's causing this? Btw, he is using preloaded tones.
    09-15-09 12:59 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD