undoubtedly, they made a few mistakes, like releasing the phone before the OS was truly ready for primetime, etc.

but IMO, the big mistake was to try and make a touchscreen device simply to try and prevent their big customers from moving to the iPhone or other touchscreen based device. why? because Blackberrys have always been known, even touted, for having the best input methods available for their respective markets. even though they're trying to make that push into the consumer market to broaden their userbase and thus profitability, i think they moved too quickly for their own good. how?

well, their media capabilities are still anemic. yes, i know they're still working on it, but they should focus on getting it done right before jumping into something else "half-assed". they would be better served in the long run to polish their OS's in the media department to offer a truly solid multimedia offering before jumping into something else as their customers, especially new ones, will only be turned off by the devices upon first use, and may never come back. for example: the sluggish performance while playing music in the background due to a lack of a dedicated DAC and lack of a 3D accelerator to enhance the playback of video files. i will say the extra horsepower of the Bold's chipset is a huge improvement, but it still leaves it with very poor sound quality for music playback.

i harp on the media since this is what their new target demographic is looking for, exemplified by their sponsorship of MUSICIANS.

but going back to the Storm... i think they just went in the wrong direction, trying to chase the market instead of trying to redefine the playing field by their own rules. Apple was able to do this without any prior experience in the mobile phone market and now they're beginning to eat RIM's lunch.

my answer, even before the Storm became public, was not just a touchscreen device, but to redefine the marketplace instead of playing catchup to Apple by going with a slideout keyboard. yes, there are lots of slideouts out there, but none have RIM's keyboard FEEL. RIM could have done something dimensionally like the Storm: huge screen, solid build, excellent aesthetics... but put a slide out QWERTY beneath it. touch for navigation to feed that part of the market and lose the trackball (its achilles heel when it comes to reliability).

honestly, it was what i was really hoping for. the large screen for excellent media playback and browsing experience, combined with their world renown keyboarding experience. the screen size was my only real complaint about my Curve. and after experiencing the Storm inside and out, it would be easy for RIM to have created a slide out keyboard in a device similar in thickness while retaining the same stunning good looks the Storm possesses.

but after spending almost a week with the Storm and still not improving with the typing, and even less impressed by the OS's flakiness, topped with the lack of real improvement on it's media-centric features and really poor browsing performance, i have come to realize that my vision of an integrated keyboard with the Storm's platform is what i'm looking for and will be returning this Storm and reverting back to my Curve until it happens.

or maybe i'm just way off base... i dunno. what do you guys think, after the luster has worn off, what are your true feelings? i know many are willing to hold out for further OS revisions as they're enamored by the SurePress input style, but for those who arent completely sold, would you buy into what i've described above in any way?
    Last edited by oakie; 11-26-08 at 02:22 PM.
    11-26-08 02:18 PM
    basically, Blackberrys, no matter the carrier, always sound GREAT for call quality, possessing loud, clear earpieces with strong signal. the push email and security of the BIS/BES solution is the measuring stick all others are measured by. their OS's, although long in the tooth, are solid, simple, and most of all, efficent. their keyboards are consistently good with excellent tactile feedback... even their tiniest of keys still have great separation and result in the ability to type quickly, comfortably, and accurately.

but their media solutions are mediocre at best, even with the latest revisions, as they just feature a pretty overlay covering the same underperforming tech that began with the 8700. music has a really bad hiss in the background and the OS slows to a crawl while music plays. video playback, on the other hand, seems to be making true strides, but i hope they dont give up on it too soon.

i just find it frustrating that RIM has forsaken one of their biggest strengths, the keyboard, and gave us something very low quality in return, by their standards.
    11-26-08 02:30 PM
    Is it only me, or are other people wondering why there are a ton of posts about how bad the Storm is from people who do not even have one? If you don't have the phone, and are not a fan, what exactly are you adding to the Storm forum?
    11-26-08 02:34 PM
    They are trying to expand their market passed businesses, its simple business management.

They couldn't put a slide out keyboard because there is not enough room and it would add a thickness to it that no one would like.

One may have said something along the same lines when they got rid of the scroll wheel for the track ball. It's just evolving and expanding. They are doing new things, and in case you haven't noticed, they are sold out basically everywhere.
    11-26-08 02:34 PM
    ............ I LOVE MY STORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best Touch Screen Phone on the Market. Sorry kids this topic is pointless.
    11-26-08 02:43 PM
    Mmm mmm mmm not listening to naysayers

<hugging his storm>
    11-26-08 02:44 PM
    Interesting post to say the least. I will say that it is a pretty good concept because I do agree that the BB is renowned for its great keyboards. As a heavy business user I find that speed, reliability and ease of use is top priority for me and the Curve lives up to that perfectly. For me at least.

So implementing a "pull out" keyboard in my opinion would lend itself to a much quicker and effcient user experience. The Storm is too much of a pain to use. I can bang out texts and emails seemingly simultaneously but on the Storm its literally a chore. Too many steps to do simple tasks and to me that is what a blackberry is not.

I would have to agree they should have put a kb on it or developed a better OS. The OS now seems slapped together and not well thought out at all.

I would not even use the phone if it was given to me free. I will happily keep my Curve and wait for the Niagra.

I do feel that once the novelty wears off a lot of phones will be going back. Rumor has it that the flood of returned devices is already starting to trickle in. If the updates dont fix most of the substantial flaws I see a lot of pisssed off people banging down VZW doors demanding a different phone. And I can't say I will blame them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-26-08 02:45 PM
    Is it only me, or are other people wondering why there are a ton of posts about how bad the Storm is from people who do not even have one? If you don't have the phone, and are not a fan, what exactly are you adding to the Storm forum?
    How about thoughts and ideas. You should try it sometimes its pretty cool ; )

11-26-08 02:49 PM
    I repeat i LOVE MY STORM....... If you do not own a storm posting negative stuff about the storm is pointless because in reality you have probably only played with the storm in a store and havent actually had the phone for a full day. I have had it since launch and love this thing. Its sick does EVERYTHING and all it needs is the app center to update and it will be perfect. These post are really stupid can someone close this please.
    Last edited by nore03; 11-26-08 at 02:56 PM.
    11-26-08 02:52 PM
    Your first two statements are incorrect, which only speaks volumes about the rest of post.

First off, damn RIM released the Storm? What RIM store did you go to and pick it up? Last I heard it was Verizon and Vodafone who sell the Storm. Maybe you are unclear on how this works, but it's the carrier who decides to go to market, not the manufacturer. Furthermore, Verizon's stance was the Storm is getting released when they wanted it to. Do you honestly think RIM stopped at 4.7.0.65?? You think there wasn't anything newer? Better? Hate to break it to you, but there was and still is.

RIM makes the device, builds the OS, tests, then gives to the carrier to test, and when the carrier is happy, it's released. In other words either Verizon was happy with the OS(which some units have zero problems) or didn't care and just released it and didn't really care.

But how you and others lay the blame squarely on RIM is beyond me. As if they're the only ones who deserve it. The bad thing is, if you all knew what really went on behind the scenes, Verizon would be in deep sh it right now.
    11-26-08 02:55 PM
    SNAP, reality check!
    sorry had to do it CX! I get so tired of defending my lovely storm which I still don't have by the way lol!! I guess Telus is checking into it a little more. (good for them) glad someone with some sense is commenting!!

Your first two statements are incorrect, which only speaks volumes about the rest of post.

First off, damn RIM released the Storm? What RIM store did you go to and pick it up? Last I heard it was Verizon and Vodafone who sell the Storm. Maybe you are unclear on how this works, but it's the carrier who decides to go to market, not the manufacturer. Furthermore, Verizon's stance was the Storm is getting released when they wanted it to. Do you honestly think RIM stopped at 4.7.0.65?? You think there wasn't anything newer? Better? Hate to break it to you, but there was and still is.

RIM makes the device, builds the OS, tests, then gives to the carrier to test, and when the carrier is happy, it's released. In other words either Verizon was happy with the OS(which some units have zero problems) or didn't care and just released it and didn't really care.

But how you and others lay the blame squarely on RIM is beyond me. As if they're the only ones who deserve it. The bad thing is, if you all knew what really went on behind the scenes, Verizon would be in deep sh it right now.
    11-26-08 03:00 PM
    How about thoughts and ideas. You should try it sometimes its pretty cool ; )

I think what he is getting at is that a lot of the most negative comments on this model are coming from people who haven't actually used the phone for more then a few minutes.

Come on, in this thread you have people complaining that it doesn't have a keyboard, lol . It's a touch screen sorry you just figured that out. It seems that RIM's marketing was a bit too good and they had people thinking touching the screen would actually feel like you're resting your fingers on physical keys

I think the iphone is crap because it is more of a mobile entertainment device then a mobile communications device(maybe Itoy wasn't as catchy), just my personal opinion; but they still sell like hot cakes so what do I know.
    Last edited by K-redtbk; 11-26-08 at 03:03 PM.
    11-26-08 03:01 PM
    The whole problem with your reasoning is that you are assuming that since RIM has always been the best that they will eventually win out... Well, the problem with that is that if all your customers leave you for another company's product, your product will fail. It doesn't matter if you have the best product out there, if people THINK they want all the eye candy the iPhone provides, then that is what they will go after. For a company to think that they will win just because you know what they REALLY need and have the superior product is arrogant and stupid. Apple has the best UI, app store, and marketing. Plus they have a head start on everyone (they already have their 2nd gen device out)... those are the four nails in the coffin of anyone who tries to beat them. Am I saying it can't be done? Absolutely not... I think RIM did an awesome job with the Storm (given the constraints they were under) and I think if they can overcome some of these glitches that they can still be second best and stay in the game... and maybe... just maybe... the Storm 2 will be the real iPhone killer.
    As for the slide-out keyboard... no way... there is no getting around how bulky it would make the device
    11-26-08 03:02 PM
    I'm squinting reading this thread on my Bolds small but hi-res screen. With the amount of web browsing I do (way more than I would have ever thought I would on my BB) and some catch up TV shows I've converted for downtime viewing... Then all the emails I'm hammering out....

Well... That being said - YES! I would buy a pull out tactile QWERTY / Storm sized screen Blackberry.

11-26-08 03:04 PM
    SNAP, reality check!
    sorry had to do it CX! I get so tired of defending my lovely storm which I still don't have by the way lol!! I guess Telus is checking into it a little more. (good for them) glad someone with some sense is commenting!!
    Yes, I'm not saying RIM is without fault here, but everyone is blaming RIM and I see nobody blaming Verizon! The same Verizon they raved about before the release. Again, I'm not saying RIM doesn't have any part in this, but I'll be damned if this is only RIM's fault.
    11-26-08 03:05 PM
    It would seem that RIM is attempting to broaden the market for their devices. The iphone appeals to teens, students, and younger professionals. That is an important market to compete in and it is incidentally a market that uses data, text, video, and email heavily.

Another thought is that the iphone has had virtually no competition. The touchscreens that have been released tend to be dumb phones and lack the features that have made the iphone popular.

I don't think the move to touchscreens is an aberration either. I think we will see touchscreens becoming more widespread in the next few years. The keypads are basically dead space that could be used for a larger screen and/or to slim down the phone without having to resort to a slider.
    11-26-08 03:05 PM
    I can tell you this, the true Enterprise users would never move because the iPhone does not provide the same type of securities that any BB provides. iPhone is more of a toy than a true Enterprise device.
    11-26-08 03:06 PM
    iphone = cool media phone

storm = communication device with some cool media options

meh i'd be happy with either one probably, but i'm on verizon and I don't use it for business so don't care about the enterprise options too much. to each their own
    11-26-08 03:08 PM
    To all those jackasses who are knocking the storm - if u dont like it -take it back. If u dont have one , but like your apple thingy-good for you. But dont keep posting neg feedbak-sooooooo boring
    11-26-08 03:09 PM
    yeah I understood what you were saying. And agree people are blaming one side, as if Rim forced them to release it at this time. But when they were crying about wanting the phone noone was saying, "well maybe there are bugs" lol!!

Yes, I'm not saying RIM is without fault here, but everyone is blaming RIM and I see nobody blaming Verizon! The same Verizon they raved about before the release. Again, I'm not saying RIM doesn't have any part in this, but I'll be damned if this is only RIM's fault.
    11-26-08 03:10 PM
    but after spending almost a week with the Storm and still not improving with the typing

if you still haven't improved on the typing after that much time, the storm isn't for you. I bought mine on release date and i can email/text fast and without typos. Just gotta try to get used to it rather than sit there and make a mistake and assume it's blackberry's fault and not your own pudgy fingers.

I personally love the storm, would just have liked to see more apps, etc. available upon release.
    11-26-08 03:11 PM
    Hi Crucial I see your point but in the end people look at the manufacturer of the device. Verizon is in the business of selling the phone. Most people are not going to blame Verizon.

Maybe RIM needs to get their nutZ out of Verizons purse and take control of what they put out because these are the ramifications.

I'm not saying Verizon is not to share in the blame. I do agree. So I'm not arguing with you.

Conversely if the Storm was a huge success and great phone people would have been singing the praise of RIM not Verizon. So it goes both ways. Its just the way it is.

11-26-08 03:12 PM
    To all those jackasses who are knocking the storm - if u dont like it -take it back. If u dont have one , but like your apple thingy-good for you. But dont keep posting neg feedbak-sooooooo boring
    ^^^ what he said!
    11-26-08 03:13 PM
    What I find amusing is that EVERYONE just wanted Verizon to release the phone. They kept saying "who cares if it's got a couple of bugs, RIM will fix it." Well so now it's out and there's still a couple of bugs and everyone wants to throw RIM and Verizon under the bus for it. You can't have it both ways folks.
    11-26-08 03:13 PM
    I think what he is getting at is that a lot of the most negative comments on this model are coming from people who haven't actually used the phone for more then a few minutes.

Come on, in this thread you have people complaining that it doesn't have a keyboard, lol . It's a touch screen sorry you just figured that out. It seems that RIM's marketing was a bit too good and they had people thinking touching the screen would actually feel like you're resting your fingers on physical keys

I think the iphone is crap because it is more of a mobile entertainment device then a mobile communications device(maybe Itoy wasn't as catchy), just my personal opinion; but they still sell like hot cakes so what do I know.
    Exactly.....I come on this forum to learn about features, tips tricks etc. about my storm (which I think is a great device and have used it since 11/21) and all the negative crap from people who do not even use the phone wastes time and space.
    11-26-08 03:14 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD