Fixing bugs does not sell phones...if the update is indeed in January, VZ and RIM will move on to the Niagra/whatever else is new

Why waste time fixing this thing when they can "force" us to buy the next version and they make more money?

I had mine since the first day and this is simply embarassing to have some of the defects it does (like random reboots, cheeks hitting the mute, bad camera)

What was RIM/VZ thinking when they released this phone? It takes 2 seconds with it to see some of these bugs. And the field "testers"? Well, they arent doing a great job either.
    12-17-08 07:42 AM
    What basis of fact do you have for that conclusion? RIM frequently updates their products.
    12-17-08 07:47 AM
    Regardless, it keeps business. They're not forcing you to get rid of the storm to get a Niagra just because you can't cope with the bugs. For all they care, you can get whatever phone you want to. That's the beauty of America, CHOICE. If you don't like your Storm, quit crying about it, return it/sell it, and get something more to your preference.
    12-17-08 07:47 AM
    RIM and VZW will continue to tweak and fix the storm as RIM pushes out Software updates we will receive them. And if you are having reboot issues why not replace the phone? I have had mine since day one and no problems with it at all.
    12-17-08 08:02 AM
    I would hope that the updates come out more frequently than my old 8830. VZW never released an official 4.5 for that device, I had to get it off the forums. I would think though that they would address or enhance the phone from what it is today.
    12-17-08 08:07 AM
    I had mine since the first day and this is simply embarassing to have some of the defects it does (like random reboots, cheeks hitting the mute, bad camera)

Embarassing to who? You or Verizon?
    12-17-08 08:09 AM
    I had an 8830 also finally got VZW to give me a CURVE for it......memory was way to small......we will probably get updates for the storm before VZW does...as usual.....
    12-17-08 08:09 AM
    If you don't like your Storm, quit crying about it, return it/sell it, and get something more to your preference.
    i really dislike this argument, and i see it all the time. the point is that people have a right to complain especially when we were led to believe these capabilities would be functional from advertisement and from the prior reputation of the companies
    12-17-08 08:22 AM
    i really dislike this argument, and i see it all the time. the point is that people have a right to complain especially when we were led to believe these capabilities would be functional from advertisement and from the prior reputation of the companies
    If there is a legit problem replace the darn thing.....I mean if you bought a new computer that constantly rebooted for no unseen reason would you cry about or take it back?
    12-17-08 08:24 AM
    If there is a legit problem replace the darn thing.....I mean if you bought a new computer that constantly rebooted for no unseen reason would you cry about or take it back?
    yeah and theres nothing wrong with doing that but its still like "well **** why'd i have to do this in the first place"

people here are like "dont like it!? send it back and gtfo!" and i think that is counterproductive
    12-17-08 08:30 AM
    Fixing bugs does not sell phones...if the update is indeed in January, VZ and RIM will move on to the Niagra/whatever else is new

Why waste time fixing this thing when they can "force" us to buy the next version and they make more money?

What was RIM/VZ thinking when they released this phone? It takes 2 seconds with it to see some of these bugs. And the field "testers"? Well, they arent doing a great job either.
    RIM will always continue to make this and other BlackBerry devices better.
    12-17-08 08:39 AM
    i'm sure they have a department that is working on updates for the storm, as well as another department that is developing niagra or whatever else.....why are they still releasing updates for the curve if what you say is true??
    12-17-08 08:40 AM
    Worthless thread.....
    12-17-08 08:45 AM
    I just had something pretty crazy happen. I was messing around with Opera Mini... and all of a sudden the camera popped out right in the middle of my browser. Also, it would never close. I had to pull the battery to get the damn thing to get off the screen.
    12-17-08 08:47 AM
    you sound like a whiner. i mean maybe you storm is just like that. i have yet to have the problems with my storm that you have, granted i do have slight problem but it seems like all you guys do are create new threads to ***** and moan about minor things with your phones. if you guys don't have the patients to wait for the updates my suggestion would be to just return the phone and get something else.
    12-17-08 08:50 AM
    I understand Microsoft and Apple are going to Stop updating their Software as well to force people to Buy the next thing they release as well.

Also soon the Auto manufaturers are going to stop making repalcement parts so everyone just buys new models every year too

12-17-08 08:50 AM
    I confess not to understand this attitude at all.

RIM is one of the few companies that DOES continually update their products. For the Curve, we have had over 100 (current release 4.5.0.110) iterations of the OS. Not all of these were worthy enogh to make it to our phones but now, RIM are talking about OS 5.x for the Curve and that, for a phone that will be essentially dead from a sales point of view in six months time when they release it is nothing short of amazing.

There is another issue here and that is that the phone had issues when it was released. With any OS there are always problems with fixing bugs. I once heard it dascribed as being like a water bed. You push it down in one spot and it pops up everywhere else. They need to be careful and to test things properly to insure that there are the minimum number of bugs possible.

Lastly there is the argument that "I don't like this becasue it does not work like my xxxx phone.". Yes, that is true. Next question please.
    12-17-08 08:51 AM
    @ SarahBara...Good to see a Michigan resident rooting for The Ohio State University
    12-17-08 09:00 AM
    I just had something pretty crazy happen. I was messing around with Opera Mini... and all of a sudden the camera popped out right in the middle of my browser. Also, it would never close. I had to pull the battery to get the damn thing to get off the screen.
    Hi Detroit
    12-17-08 09:00 AM
    @ SarahBara...Good to see a Michigan resident rooting for The Ohio State University
    woop woop... Born and raised Michigander... however my dad moved to Columbus 10 years ago so I have converted (although my dad STILL despises the Buckeyes)
    12-17-08 09:02 AM
    I hope a mod sees this thread and closes it. It's just another waste of space on the forums. If you are having issues with your Storm go return it if it bothers you so much. Please don't waste your time and other peoples time by posting about how you hate your Storm and how RIM/VW is the antichrist it's getting old.
    12-17-08 09:03 AM
    I once heard it dascribed as being like a water bed. You push it down in one spot and it pops up everywhere else. They need to be careful and to test things properly to insure that there are the minimum number of bugs possible.
    I don't agree that software programming is like this. I used to program a long time ago and everything I worked on was pretty cut and dry on what it needed to do and how it did it. It wasn't an entire OS mind you, but it was developed by me from start to bottom and there were no "glitches" per say. There were things I'd have to change to get it to do something a client might want it to do, but in no way were there any issues similar to what we're constantly seeing from RIM on the OSs and the apps in them. I have a feeling that this happens more often then not when you have a bunch of different people writing little pieces of code separately and then combining it at the end of the day for a compile. This is where your issues come in. Different people write code differently and none of them probably write it in a good and systematic way. So, when it's all compiled together, some things work and others now are broken because the dummy in the next cubical over isn't a robot like you are.

What needs to improve dramatically for RIM is testing of the OSs prior to release. Personally, if I was in charge of testing this stuff out, with each revision I'd test against the previous bugs that were there first and then test the rest. If I saw a problem, the revision would get turned down. Not passed onto the carrier for testing, not OK'd for release, none of that. It's still has problems, fix it and let me see it again after that. This is where RIM isn't getting the job done right. The testing part... A lot of these bugs really aren't even that hard to find. It's almost like they are concerned with the basic functions of the phone rather then the thing as a whole when they test the new releases. This has been puzzling me for a while now as to why it's so damn hard for RIM to find these bugs and so easy for us in the public BB community.
    12-17-08 09:04 AM

Did you think the phone would be flawless at launch?

Remember the iPhone had the same issues and after many software releases the phone is flawless.

And I'm sure RIM remembers the fiasco with the iPhone 3G being significantly cheaper than the original iPhone and the fuss that caused.

Don't like the phone? Return it and get a replacement Storm or a new phone entirely.

Until then, I can send over the Waambulance if need be.
    12-17-08 09:08 AM

i call user error
    12-17-08 09:15 AM
    RIM does a great job of releasing updates. Still get them for the Pearl and Curve, and there are many ahead of them now. VZW is the one who is slow to release official updates. Just stick with the ones you find here, they will continue to fix the bugs.
    12-17-08 09:17 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD