It hardly plays anything it says it can!

When are we going to have an update that can play more codecs, or are they just going to sit on their fat arses and wait for a 3rd party company to 'hopefully' do the job?

At the moment it is a joke, vertually nothing seems supported!

Only one of my avi (Divx/Xvid) films works.
    01-31-09 07:43 PM
    yeah and i really hope they make a way to play videos in a row like music videos because i prefer to get those over regular music. but its annoying how it stops playing after the first song
    01-31-09 07:57 PM
    I just transferred my first videos today to my Curve. Should work the same for your storm.

I used this Open Source video codec(format) converter called WinFF on my PC to convert from ipod (H264) to 3gpp format. This s/w supports lots of formats and codes. Very simple to use.

Only took 2 tries to find the right format. I chose convert to "Mobile phone" and "3gp".

Copied the file over to my BB's SD card and voila! Video and sound. yay!

Hope that helps!
    01-31-09 08:03 PM

When are we going to have an update that can play more codecs, or are they just going to sit on their fat arses and wait for a 3rd party company to 'hopefully' do the job?

Officially, the Storm supports MPEG4 H.263, MPEG4 Part 2 Simple Profile, H.264, and WMV. To my knowledge, they all play fine (I've played all except wmv). There is no official divx/xvid support.

If divx/xvid doesn't work for you, you can convert it into h.264 mp4.

I agree that the media player can definitely use some more codecs, but which formats does the Storm not play that it claims to be able to play?

This should go in the rants & raves subforum.
    01-31-09 08:31 PM
    It's funny, because I don't recall Divx/Xvid being listed as a supported format to begin with, so the fact that even one of them plays is a serious bonus for you.
    01-31-09 08:46 PM
    To say that the Storm supports h.264 seems a bit of a misnomer as it doesn't support b-frames. Lack of b-frame support cripples h.264.

After lots of research and hacking, here's what I use for mpeg4.
    Get mplayer/mencoder: hxxp://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php

Put this in the mencoder.conf file:
    Code:
    [blackberrypass1]
    nosound=yes
    passlogfile=bb2pass.log
    of=avi=yes
    lameopts=vbr=4:q=8:aq=0:mode=1
    ovc=lavc=yes
    oac=copy=yes
    vf-add=hqdn3d,scale=480:-2::::::1
    lavcopts=vmax_b_frames=0:v4mv=yes:mbd=2:autoaspect=yes:trell=yes:cbp=yes:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=500:threads=2:subq=8:threads=2:vb_strategy=2:dia=6:mv0=yes:preme=2:vpass=1:turbo=1

[blackberrypass2]
    passlogfile=bb2pass.log
    of=avi=yes
    lameopts=vbr=4:q=8:aq=0:mode=1
    ovc=lavc=yes
    oac=mp3lame=yes
    vf=hqdn3d,scale=480:-2::::::1
    lavcopts=vmax_b_frames=0:v4mv=yes:mbd=2:autoaspect=yes:trell=yes:cbp=yes:vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=500:threads=2:subq=8:threads=2:vb_strategy=2:dia=6:mv0=yes:preme=2:vpass=2
    run this command for pass1:
    mencoder -profile blackberrypass1 inputfile.mpg -o NUL

then this for pass 2:
    mencoder -profile blackberrypass2 inputfile.mpg -o outputfile.avi

Resulting file is mpeg4 with stereo-mp3 audio in an avi container.
    Tweak "vbitrate=500" for quality/filesize.
    Tweak "scale=480:-2::::::1" if you want to stretch to 4:3 aspect (the current setting will leave the original aspect but shrink video to fit, this will leave letterboxing on 16:9 content)

Works fine for me on the storm screen, only high-motion, dark scenes look bad.
    01-31-09 11:55 PM

Have you tried changing the divx extension to .avi? It works fine on my storm !
    02-01-09 12:17 AM
    Offcourse you can convert the files, but I think what he means is that we want to have a mediaplayer wich plays all type of files... like coreplayer for nokia does.... we need a 3rd app like that... would also allow you to vieuw way more streaming sites etc.....
    02-01-09 07:44 AM

I think the real question is will they ever have a Storm that works.
    02-01-09 08:43 AM
    Thats funny, because mine plays everything it says it does. If a movie is in the wrong format I convert it with Any Video Converter to MP4. Learn how to work your device. I'm not opposed to it playing more formats automatically, but they didn't screw anyone over either. It does what they said it would do.
    02-01-09 08:58 AM
    Yeah I have no problems playing anything on it either.

Plays the movies i want, the music I have and i know I have plenty of it.

Just have to do a little bit of research to find the "supported" formats, and how to convert your media to fit those "supported" formats.
    02-01-09 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD