I'm considering returning my Storm and trading it in for the Curve 8330. Before I return it, I will remove all of the media (pics, songs, movies) and apps (weatherbug, youtube) that I've added, and I know how to do this.

However, I don't know how to clear the BES info. If I do a "wipe" of the device, will this do it? Also, I've read that "wiping" the device is sort of like formatting a hard drive. I wouldn't think Verizon would take back a formatted Blackberry...

What is the best way to clear my phone before returning it?
    12-26-08 08:01 AM
    Have your admin wipe it from the bes server

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-08 08:35 AM
    Or, go into Options, then Security Options, then General Settings, then hit the Blackberry key to bring up the options for that page and select Wipe Handheld.

Jer
    12-26-08 08:44 AM
    ...and don't forget formatting or keeping your micro-SD. Enterprise admins do find really interesting stuff on returned business phones, pdas and notebooks.

12-26-08 09:07 AM
    Or, go into Options, then Security Options, then General Settings, then hit the Blackberry key to bring up the options for that page and select Wipe Handheld.

Jer
    That will remove device info, but if a IT policy is in effect it will not remove it....
    12-26-08 09:07 AM
    how do you get rid of the IT policy? My phones no longer on BES or the server, but I cant get rid of the IT policy
    12-26-08 10:37 AM

Jer
    Does wiping it via "Wipe Handheld" remove the OS and everything else on the device? Or, does it essentially just bring it back to it's "right-out-of-the-box" state?
    12-26-08 11:07 AM
    A "Wipe" will clear all personal info from the device, but it does not remove an IT policy. In order to remove your IT policy, you have to actually replace it with a blank policy (instructions below). That said, for a return to Verizon, I wouldn't worry about removing your IT policy. Just clear your personal info and memory card.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...-569/#post5782
    12-26-08 11:17 AM
    how do you get rid of the IT policy? My phones no longer on BES or the server, but I cant get rid of the IT policy
    If your device is running v4.3 or greater OS, then use Javaloader's ResetToFactory Option... or use the same option inside the latest version of JL_Cmder which is easier to find.. NOTE: This usually erases user data in the process (except for the MicroSD card).

Does wiping it via "Wipe Handheld" remove the OS and everything else on the device? Or, does it essentially just bring it back to it's "right-out-of-the-box" state?
    Performing a Security Wipe, as explained by hammer2002, will erase all use data and settings stored on the BB's memory, and return it to "out of the box" type state. It will not erase/format the MicroSD card. It will not remove/erase the OS and Applications (it can remove 3rd party apps). It will not remove the BES IT Policy. And it will not change any settings which are locked by BES IT Policy.

If you are returning a device.. Security wipe and format the microSD card are usually enough.
    12-26-08 11:18 AM
    that doesn't actually REMOVE the IT policy. It overwrites with a BLANK policy which doesn't completely clear it out.

For devices running OS v4.2 and below, that is the only way. For v4.3 and above device you can completely remove an IT Policy with the latest Javaloader (included in and used by JL_Cmnder) has the ResetToFactory switch which is intended to remove..
    12-26-08 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD