This is one of the strangest things I've seen in a while..

I was copying some text between my laptop and Storm, so I rested the Storm to the right of the laptops touchpad and the screen started flickering. I picked the Storm up off of the laptop, and the screen went back to normal.

If I place the Storm on a specific spot to the right of the touchpad, the screen goes black. The computer still runs, nothing is interrupted, the screen just goes black.

The laptops hard drive is located directly under the touchpad, and the battery is directly under the spot where the Storm causes the screen to go blank.

I tried the same thing with my Zune and old cell phone, and nothing happens. I also tried it with the Storm powered on and off (battery removed) and the screen still blacks out.

I know this sounds completely ridiculous, so I'll post a video if this just sounds too unbelievable.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    12-31-08 02:56 PM
    yeah:

don't put your blackberry so close to your laptop

problem solved
    12-31-08 03:02 PM
    ya cell phones can do weird things..

my friends samsung phone, if he holds it next to a computers desktop speakers, the speakers suddenly start making a static noise..

even if their not playing music or anything, if the speakers are on, and his phone is next to it, all the sudden the play static...
    12-31-08 03:03 PM
    The BB goes into sleep mode when placed next to a magnet. Mystery solved.
    12-31-08 03:05 PM
    it's the magnet putting the phone to sleep.
    12-31-08 03:06 PM
    So much for keeping my Storm in my pants pocket. I'd hate to have any technical difficulties with my built in touch pad!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-08 03:07 PM
    I just tried it with my digital camera (Canon Powershot A590IS) and it does the same thing.

It definitely seems to be a specific spot. If I put either the earpiece or the speaker on the back up to the spot the screen will blank.

Are the Storms speakers not properly shielded? Or is this more common than I thought?
    12-31-08 03:08 PM
    The BB goes into sleep mode when placed next to a magnet. Mystery solved.
    But its the laptops screen that goes blank, not the Storms...
    12-31-08 03:08 PM
    I could never start my PC with my ipod connected it would always freeze before boot (Black Screen).
    12-31-08 03:10 PM
    Here's a video of it happening.

ht tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp3eLyEOHfQ

Remove the space between the "ht" and "tp". I apologize for not posting a link, but I don't have 10 posts yet
    12-31-08 03:26 PM
    Lol mayb u should stop doing it
    ive seen the thing with the speakers when i had my sidekick
    12-31-08 03:35 PM
    Lol I just tried it with my laptop. Nuthin. Must be ur laptop

12-31-08 03:44 PM
    I'm still totally lost about why it's happening from that specific spot. There's nothing under it that should affect the screen. The battery is under the spot, but the electrical connections to the battery are on the other side of it. The only thing that could be in that spot are wires connecting to the wifi/bluetooth on/off switches.
    12-31-08 03:49 PM
    I was curious and tried this with my Dell laptop. Nothing happened no matter where I set it.
    12-31-08 03:59 PM
    Now I have had something like this happen with my panasonic tough book. If i face my PDA phone camera towards the screen (standing it up in front of the touch pad my screen would go black. I just assume it was a setting in my military laptop???
    12-31-08 04:05 PM
    Possibly there is something in the lid of your laptop that shuts off the screen when you close it and that same thing is in your Storm? I know most laptops sense when the screen is closed and will usually turn off the screen or something because it isn't being used.
    12-31-08 04:15 PM
    That was weird
    12-31-08 04:18 PM
    Possibly there is something in the lid of your laptop that shuts off the screen when you close it and that same thing is in your Storm? I know most laptops sense when the screen is closed and will usually turn off the screen or something because it isn't being used.
    I vote for your answer.

12-31-08 05:16 PM
    I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense.
    12-31-08 05:26 PM
    My laptop does the same thing.

There's a strong magnet in the Storm speaker. If you set your Storm on an empty Altoids tin it will pick up one end of it!

So, it might also mess up your laptop hard drive as well as make the screen blink. I'll not set in on the laptop anymore.
    12-31-08 05:39 PM
    Duh...that's what storms do; wreak havoc. The explanations for this are varied but the fix is obvious ... give me your Storm.
    12-31-08 05:50 PM
    OK...everyone that has been sliding their storm all over their laptop, raise their hand.
    :::::raising hand:::::
    that is all
    drive thru
    12-31-08 05:58 PM
    yeah:

don't put your blackberry so close to your laptop

problem solved
    This is the perfect response.

ROFLMAO

12-31-08 06:08 PM
    My Dell Latitude D630 does the same thing. I have to place my Storm half way on the trackpad on the right side and it will do it.

My guess is that that magnet in the storm is effectively doing the same thing that happens when you close the lid of your laptop. Most laptops now have magnetic sensors that cut the display when closed (instead of the pins used on older laptops) and the magnet in the Storm makes the computer think the lid is closed therefore cutting the display.
    12-31-08 06:13 PM
    Funny thing for me is when I set my BB down next to a beer the bottle goes empty. Oh yea I almost forgot there is something better than a BB. Happy New Year!
    12-31-08 06:14 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD