So, I downloaded the "Official" .75...

There were some differences for me. With the "Leaked" version, my camera and video camera wouldn't work right, but those were the only things.

However, this update was supposed to fix the restarts in idle/holster mode, but I'm still getting 2-3 restarts a day. Better than .65 where I was easily getting 4-6 restarts a day.

It's super annoying. Anyone else dealing with this? Are there any tweaks you've made to prevent it from happening?

t
    12-06-08 02:56 PM
    NO Call VZW or go to a Store and get a NEW one not a refurb
    12-06-08 03:29 PM
    I'd exchange it. I have never had that happen with my phone. Do it while it's under 30 days.
    12-06-08 03:35 PM
    As others noted, if you're having that many restarts it's probably a hardware problem and all the software updates in the world aren't going to fully eliminate it. Mine has only rebooted itself once when BB Maps crashed.
    12-06-08 03:47 PM
    It is not a hardware issue. Getting a replacement will not cure the problem. I thought it would and insisted VZW send me a replacement, even though RIM informed them it was a software issue that they would address in an update. Needless to say, the replacement did the same thing.
    12-06-08 04:36 PM
    I've found that some apps cause problems like thi. Weather bug did it to mine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-08 04:43 PM
    When I had .76, mine restarted 5 times a day. With the official .75 now, it is a lot better and quicker.
    12-06-08 04:46 PM
    Called Verizon this morning...

As I've seen here before, they told me that the restarts weren't a known issue and that a "master restart" should fix the problem... they'll be calling me later tonight to do that...

Guess it's worth a shot because hardware-wise, everything is fine and I don't want to take the risk of getting a crappy replacement.

We'll see... thanks for the feedback!
    12-08-08 10:43 AM
    I haven't had any restarts with either the leaked or official upgrades. I had a few on .65. Sounds like a new unit is best for you.
    12-08-08 10:47 AM
    Oddly enough, mine has never restarted by itself to my knowledge.
    12-08-08 10:51 AM
    Mine has never restarted at all, unless I did it!
    12-08-08 11:08 AM
    Called Verizon this morning...

As I've seen here before, they told me that the restarts weren't a known issue and that a "master restart" should fix the problem... they'll be calling me later tonight to do that...

Guess it's worth a shot because hardware-wise, everything is fine and I don't want to take the risk of getting a crappy replacement.

We'll see... thanks for the feedback!
    Wow that doesn't surprise me. Verizon hasn't heard of this and that problem. I am not bashing the storm by any means but is anyone else tired of verizon always saying we've never heard of that problem when tons of people call in for similar problems. Why does the verizon network have to be so good
    12-08-08 11:17 AM
    So, I downloaded the "Official" .75...

There were some differences for me. With the "Leaked" version, my camera and video camera wouldn't work right, but those were the only things.

However, this update was supposed to fix the restarts in idle/holster mode, but I'm still getting 2-3 restarts a day. Better than .65 where I was easily getting 4-6 restarts a day.

It's super annoying. Anyone else dealing with this? Are there any tweaks you've made to prevent it from happening?

t

You have to remember too now, this phone is very much like a computer in that it has Random Access Memory, commonly known as RAM. Anytime you have a bunch of programs running in the background at one time, you are using this RAM. Also, having a large image set as your background will also use RAM.

Hit Menu Twice, and click on "Switch Application" to see what all is running on your phone. It might be that VZ Navigator and some other Apps are running, and this is what's causing you the restarts. I haven't had to restart my Storm since I purchased it, which was about a week ago.

-Hope this helps
    Last edited by freebirds87; 12-08-08 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
    12-08-08 11:23 AM
    You have to remember too now, this phone is very much like a computer in that it has Random Access Memory, commonly known as RAM. Anytime you have a bunch of programs running in the background at one time, you are using this RAM. Also, having a large image set as your background will also use RAM.

Hit Menu Twice, and click on "Switch Application" to see what all is running on your phone. It might be that VZ Navigator and some other Apps are running, and this is what's causing you the restarts. I haven't had to restart my Storm since I purchased it, which was about a week ago.

-Hope this helps
    I see what you mean and believe me... I've read all the tips and tricks on this forum... actually closing apps instead of hitting the end key, removing VZ Nav and other memory hogs...

It restarts when in idle/holster mode and before/after receiving calls or text messages.

Besides these restarts, I absolutely love this phone!! On the other hand, I don't like having a phone I can't count on to be reliable.
    12-08-08 11:30 AM
    Does the back of your phone get real hot sometimes?
    12-08-08 11:39 AM
    Ive never had a reboot...
    12-08-08 11:42 AM
    Mine used to reboot on its own... namely when the screen was blak while being locked or resting on a table... I would press a button and, there it goes.... The updated fw did nothing for me. Call CS and have them ship you a replacement phone. I got a replacement and it has been fine since.
    12-08-08 11:44 AM
    Does the back of your phone get real hot sometimes?
    No... just when I charge it, of course.
    12-08-08 11:51 AM
    Mne never restarts after I did a wipe and loaded the new os

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-08 11:52 AM
    I haven't had any problems with restarts either.
    12-08-08 12:34 PM
    Mine was getting REALLY bad both with the .65 and with the unofficial .75. At times it would restart back to back to back multiple times. There were many times I was in the middle of a BB Messenger conversation and it would just FLASH...restart.

I upgraded to .76 last night. I'll report what I notice.
    12-08-08 12:35 PM
    I'm curious to see what the tech does... probably run through procedure...

Two-sided on replacements... some people say their replacement is better than the first, but others are getting their second, third, fourth replacements
    12-08-08 12:41 PM
    Just like Captainamazing4u mentioned, I wiped and did a fresh install of .75 (official), and have not had any random restarts. I did the unofficial update last week before the official was relased from VZW, and had random restarts all day long :-(
    But now, with a wipe and fresh install, all is good... thus far.
    12-08-08 12:46 PM
    I dont understand all this. The only time my phone reboots is when I remove certain apps. The phone has never had a major issue, and I was on .65 until 12/5. .75 is running smooth.

I really think there were some bum equipment out there... for example, the one at my local VZ store: This demo unit was extreamly slow and the accelerometer must have been broken or some such because it was dead dog slow to respond and when it did it would get 1/2 way thru moving then kinda chug chug chug along. That unit wouldn't have sold me on mine, that's for dang sure.

Dont stand for a refurb... go for a new one.
    12-08-08 12:47 PM
    I would certainly expect that the reboot problem will be fixed with a software upgrade, but all of us have so many different apps loaded and many of them are beta versions so a fix for everything could take time.
    12-08-08 12:53 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD