I've notice quite a bit of new replacements seem to have a really bad purple Hue, where it should show black. Came across 15 so far. I have tried to show this discrepancy but using Captureit to show the difference, but it doesn't work do to the fact the screen capture won't put into account the wash out screen. (Black color, won't show the purple) Its the screen making it washed out.

Have been trying to make pics to show the difference, but its not showing up with the camara I have. Any one else notice this?
    Last edited by Jascias; 12-30-08 at 03:05 AM.
    12-30-08 01:15 AM
    Best I can do on friend's new replacement and mine. Having them both in front of you its instantly noticeable.

Washed out purple.

Correct black.

Last edited by Jascias; 12-30-08 at 03:08 AM.
    12-30-08 02:25 AM
    Top is the "cool" screen, and bottom is the "warm" screen.

Having compared the two in person I definitely prefer the warm one over the cool (what I have). Hopefully my replacement has the warmer screen.
    12-30-08 05:17 AM
    Top is the "cool" screen, and bottom is the "warm" screen.

Having compared the two in person I definitely prefer the warm one over the cool (what I have). Hopefully my replacement has the warmer screen.
    I don't know.........If you take a Capture Screen of the home screen with both phones they come out exactly as the bottom (as you say warmer screen). Which leads me to believe the cool screen is wrong. Its glass is acting as a filter of some sort. Like this version of the storm's glass is color tinted and is not clear.
    Last edited by Jascias; 12-30-08 at 08:08 AM.
    12-30-08 06:18 AM
    I know exactly what you are talking about, this has several threads on it. My first one was the cool and my repl was the warm. I really thought the cool one was better, the warm one seemed a little fuzzy, but I'm getting used to it. Wanna trade?
    12-30-08 10:06 AM
    I know exactly what you are talking about, this has several threads on it. My first one was the cool and my repl was the warm. I really thought the cool one was better, the warm one seemed a little fuzzy, but I'm getting used to it. Wanna trade?
    LOL. Sorry Zookeper3, friend already box it up, and dropped it off at fedex. He's keeping his first phone. The warm one.
    Last edited by Jascias; 12-30-08 at 10:30 AM.
    12-30-08 10:21 AM
    I got my replacement today. Screen clicks perfectly, but it is definitely completely washed out. Not necessarily bad, but definitely noticeable side to side. What to do, what to do? Wish I wasn't so neurotic!
    12-30-08 11:58 AM
    Weird, I wonder which one I have.
    12-30-08 12:00 PM
    I don't know.........If you take a Capture Screen of the home screen with both phones they come out exactly as the bottom (as you say warmer screen). Which leads me to believe the cool screen is wrong. Its glass is acting as a filter of some sort. Like this version of the storm's glass is color tinted and is not clear.
    As you've correctly noticed, the screenshots taken with CaptureIt do show something closer to the bottom (warm) screen. I don't think it has much to do with the glass used, but simply that RIM has switched to this new LCD. My hunch is that the warm LCDs are simply higher quality, and were only used in the earlier phones because they didn't have enough of the cooler LCD to meet early demand. Being higher quality, they were more expensive and RIM is just phasing them out now that they've been able to get a better supply of the new cool ones. Another possibility is that a future firmware update will change the temperature of the cooler LCD to better match what CaptureIt shows in direct screenshots. I believe a similar thing happened with the iPhone after an update.

I did get my replacement today (19502, Dec 23rd, Mexico) and it still has the cool screen, but the clicking is greatly improved over my Dec 18th Canadian one. I'm not even sure newly made Storms will have the warm LCD anymore, but if anyone gets one it would be good to know there's still hope.
    12-30-08 04:33 PM
    I noticed it on my replacement much more than my original Storm. I don't let it bother me anymore, it is working and clicking much better than the previous one.

12-30-08 04:46 PM
    As you've correctly noticed, the screenshots taken with CaptureIt do show something closer to the bottom (warm) screen. I don't think it has much to do with the glass used, but simply that RIM has switched to this new LCD. My hunch is that the warm LCDs are simply higher quality, and were only used in the earlier phones because they didn't have enough of the cooler LCD to meet early demand. Being higher quality, they were more expensive and RIM is just phasing them out now that they've been able to get a better supply of the new cool ones. Another possibility is that a future firmware update will change the temperature of the cooler LCD to better match what CaptureIt shows in direct screenshots. I believe a similar thing happened with the iPhone after an update.

I did get my replacement today (19502, Dec 23rd, Mexico) and it still has the cool screen, but the clicking is greatly improved over my Dec 18th Canadian one. I'm not even sure newly made Storms will have the warm LCD anymore, but if anyone gets one it would be good to know there's still hope.
    That makes sense, great point.
    12-30-08 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD