Well I spoke to soon throughout the bored and ended up having issue with my original Storm. I called in on Sunday of this past week and requested a new phone. The customer service rep was great and didn't mention anything about a temp fee or charge she simply just said to drop my phone in the old phone to send back when I get the new one. She also said if the replacement is not up to my standards I could return it and keep my original. She assured me or at least tried to that it would be a NIB replacement and not a refurbished unit as they still do not have them from RIM. After checking my Fed-Ex tracking today it shows the arrival being by this evening at 7pm but the shipping weight is only a single lb. Just curious as I have not seen anyone else post about such a low shipping weight.
    01-14-09 01:45 PM
    Prolly phone only no battery or accessories

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 01:48 PM
    Which I had read in another thread that all of these phone had to be the FRU kits which were all refurbished phones. I have had the phone for less than 30 days and expect nothing but another brand new phone.
    01-14-09 01:58 PM
    The minimum weight is 1lb when shipping via FedEx or UPS, out of the box and just the phone it's self weighs 0.35lb. I just weighed my phone, even with the packing material which is just a few bubble bags it may weigh just a hair under 1lb.
    01-14-09 02:16 PM
    Which I had read in another thread that all of these phone had to be the FRU kits which were all refurbished phones. I have had the phone for less than 30 days and expect nothing but another brand new phone.
    As long as it functions perfectly, why would you care whether it's brand new or refurbished?
    01-14-09 02:18 PM
    As long as it functions perfectly, why would you care whether it's brand new or refurbished?
    I think that dude missed the point of the thread
    01-14-09 02:20 PM
    You'll most likely be getting just the phone in a brown box. It's a new phone just no accessories. If you get a white box then it may be a refurbished. But you should be getting a new one.
    01-14-09 02:23 PM
    I like my refurbished phone so far.

01-14-09 02:35 PM
    You're getting phone and battery cover ONLY. This is Verizon's way of sending a new unit without all the accessories to the customer quicker. If you look in the rants/raves forum, its been mentioned what FRU means and what the status of it is..

There are 2 types or replacements:

1a - BRAND NEW in the box. Comes with all accessories as if you bought the phone new from Verizon
    1b - FRU brown box. This is BRAND NEW without the accessories. A quick way of VZ sending out replacements
    2 - White box with CLN sticker on it. CLN stands for Certified Like New. This is what the refurbished phones will come in.
    01-14-09 02:56 PM
    Thanks for the replies, I guess the only thing left is to wait until I am off of work and go and check it out for myself. Although the weather is pretty bad so I am not sure if delivery will be delayed. Here is to hoping I only have to play the replacement game once and get a device that at least functions completely.
    01-14-09 03:20 PM
    Ok, here is the deal. I got my replacement phone back in Dec. The packaging was in a brown box and it also weighed 1lb. I was skeptic about whether it was new or old or was it going to have hardware issues like my last one. The content of the box was just the Phone and phone cover wrapped in plastic and that's it. The replacement phone was the 21009-002 model and it blows my release date phone out of the waters. It works superiorly (that's probably not even a word, but whatever..) and everytime I do a OS update (wipe everytime), I never have any problems stated by other users of that same OS.

I understand everyone's phone performs differently. I hope my story would put you at ease with your replacement phone.
    01-14-09 03:28 PM
    1 lb = NIB phone! How Do I know? I got one! No Worries, I'll take a IOU for the free piece of mind!
    01-14-09 03:33 PM
    These stories do add piece of mind and I am anxious to see if my replacement is a dream come true.

01-14-09 03:44 PM
    1 lb = NIB phone! How Do I know? I got one! No Worries, I'll take a IOU for the free piece of mind!
    NIB phone weighs more than 1lb. I've received both NIB retail version and a brown FRU. Both were 3lbs according to FedEx.

I made a thread with a poll on the weight of package and what is inside. There were people who had 4lb package according to FedEx. So the weight of these package are inconsistent as packages are rounded up. So if it weighs 2lbs 2oz, its billed as 3lbs.
    01-14-09 03:57 PM
    NIB phone weighs more than 1lb. I've received both NIB retail version and a brown FRU. Both were 3lbs according to FedEx.

I made a thread with a poll on the weight of package and what is inside. There were people who had 4lb package according to FedEx. So the weight of these package are inconsistent as packages are rounded up. So if it weighs 2lbs 2oz, its billed as 3lbs.
    Well than Fed Ex is a bunch of Morons! Because I got a brand NIB replacement and they billed 1 lb.

Sorry OP, maybe you are getting a Refurb!
    01-14-09 04:00 PM
    FYI they are sending out REFERBS now....i received one monday and im waiting for another one tomorrow.....lol......the replacement wouldnt go into mass storage mode
    01-14-09 04:00 PM
    Yup sure is a refurb.. Like-New Cetified replacement.. Even has it's own special white box they put it in.. Just the phone and sim no mem card batter or door. This is by far the worst quality phone I have ever seen in my life!! It will not click AT ALL in ALL four corners and the screen has more wobble than you could IMAGINE. I am placing another call to Verizon right now!
    01-14-09 05:20 PM
    To add to this I tossed my battery in and the phone performed 200% better than mine ever has as far as accelerometer and overall lag! My phone even has half the pre-loaded junk taken off of it. This storm quality control has to be some of the worst ever.
    01-14-09 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD