I'm a Verizon user here in the USA and I rarely travel outside the country. I've read that removing the SIM card can slightly increase signal strength and won't cause any adverse effects to my phone. Is this true? Any insight is much appreciated, I'm considering removing the card. Thanks.
    07-28-09 12:33 AM
    I have not heard anything about this. As far as I know the SIM card is needed because that has all the Carrier info on it. The best thing I know about traveling outside of the US is getting an unlock code.
    07-28-09 02:58 AM
    This seems weird to me too, without the SIM, there will be NO signal as the phone wouldn't have any carrier info to know to which network to connect, etc. Did you mean removing the Micro SSD memory card? In that case, it could probably affect your phone, depending on what you have installed on your memory card.
    07-28-09 03:12 AM
    This seems weird to me too, without the SIM, there will be NO signal as the phone wouldn't have any carrier info to know to which network to connect, etc. Did you mean removing the Micro SSD memory card? In that case, it could probably affect your phone, depending on what you have installed on your memory card.
    That makes a lot more sense although I have never done it so I cannot say one way or another. But removing the SIM would be nothing but trouble I have to believe

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 03:15 AM
    I've used my phone without the SIM card and it works fine, being that it's a CDMA phone to begin with, and doesn't even ping the SIM unless you're on a GSM network.

I haven't noticed signal strength being any better at all, especially if you change your Mobile Network settings in Options from Global to 1xEV. Keep it on 1xEV, there's no point to waste the battery life keeping the phone in Global mode.
    07-28-09 07:12 AM
    Oooo, I never thought of CDMA networks! I usually move around in countries that only support GSM networks!
    07-28-09 07:55 AM
    SIM card totally unnecessary on the Verizon network (CDMA) and it stores NO information. It is used when traveling internationally outside of the Verizon Network and has to be activated at that. You guys on GSM are another story. People here have stated the phone performs a little better if you remove it, but that was back during the .75 OS days. Better go into radio settings and instead of using the automatic settings just switch it to remain on 1EXV. Don't forget to change that if leaving the country
    07-28-09 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD