The top cover on my storm has become noticeably scratched over the last couple of weeks (the bit that sticks out of the top of the holster). I can buy a replacement but I'm not sure how to remove the old one to replace it. The only info I can find suggests that I need to completely disssasemble the phone. Can anybody help me. Does it just pop off or is it a more complicated operation. Thanks for your help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by iainspain; 03-20-09 at 07:22 PM.
    03-20-09 07:13 PM
    Are you talking about the part with the lock and mute buttons cause my bottom cover (the one opposite) is scratched, and I'm interested in replacing that.
    03-20-09 07:21 PM
    My best advice is keep the scratched one. The top cover is VERY hard to replace. There is a cable under there that goes to the lock and mute buttons and it's nearly impossible to remove the cover without tearing the cable because it is glued on one side to the bezel and the other side to the cover. The glue is gooey, so it can be separated, but it's still a very fragile cable. Don't ask how I know. And yes, I knew about the cable before pulling the cover, yes I tried to be very careful. In fact, I wasn't even trying to fully remove the piece...I was just trying to pop it up enough so I could tape it off while painting the bezel. Needless to say on my other Storm I just taped as best I could without popping the cover. Remember too that if you do get the cover off you need to remove the little earpiece grid and the LED lens and put them on the new one because they replacements don't come with them.

If you try it, good luck!

Forgot: To the other poster, the bottom cover is a piece of cake...very easy. Just need to get something thin under the edge by the keys and pry up. It has gooey glue too and will just slowly separate. Check out the video on cnn.cn where you get the parts.
    Last edited by ChuckH0308; 03-20-09 at 07:34 PM. Reason: edit.
    03-20-09 07:32 PM
    yes I mean the top one.
    From what I've seen the bottom one just pops off. Which is why I thought it may be the same for the top one.

I've seen a video on a website called cnn.cn which details the procedure to take the storm apart. The first thing they did is remove the bottom piece. It might help you if you see it.
    03-20-09 07:38 PM
    My best advice is keep the scratched one. The top cover is VERY hard to replace.
    Thanks very much. After reading what you say, I'll follow this advice!
    03-20-09 07:46 PM
    Thanks very much. After reading what you say, I'll follow this advice!
    No problem. I'm not saying you can't do it, just that it's not as simple as it looks and that there is risk involved. Perhaps you would have better luck or you're just more capable than my lame a$$. The problem is if you do mess it up you can't get the cable or other microscopic important parts from cnn.cn or any other online parts place that I know of. I can live without the lock and mute button since there are other ways to handle both those tasks, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm a bit p'd off at myself and wondering if I should send it somewhere for repair just so it's functional. And all because I wanted a red trim bezel...lol!
    03-20-09 11:46 PM
    I removed the top cover because it was scratched and like an ***** i didnt read up on it first. Thus being i ripped the cable and now i cannot use my lock button, the mute button is fine but now i have got to send it off for repair at my own expense. Dont make the same mistake!!!
    03-21-09 12:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD