Have done everything except delete BB maps...
    I Dl'd google maps, but when I go into options>maps, Blackberry Maps is the only one to choose from...I do use my GPS for weather...
    06-04-09 09:29 AM
    I'm not positive I understand your question but if you're trying to find google maps on your phone look in the download folder.
    06-04-09 09:38 AM
    I'm not positive I understand your question but if you're trying to find google maps on your phone look in the download folder.
    yea same here
    06-04-09 09:40 AM
    Have done everything except delete BB maps...
    I Dl'd google maps, but when I go into options>maps, Blackberry Maps is the only one to choose from...I do use my GPS for weather...
    If you use Weatherbug, do not delete BB Maps. It needs it to work!
    06-04-09 09:41 AM
    I think the concern is trying to set Google Maps as the default map/GPS app. With my [limited] experience, in combination what I have read in the forums, I do not think you can set Google Maps as the default. It is the same thing as trying to set Opera Mini as the default browser. Only official RIM BB apps can be set as default. For some other applications, like SuperPages or Poynt, Google Maps can be set as default. That ability is in each application's options menu.
    Last edited by Riders On The Storm; 06-04-09 at 09:46 AM.
    06-04-09 09:41 AM
    I think the concern is trying to set Google Maps as the default map/GPS app. With my [limited] experience, in combination what I have read in the forums, I do not think you can set Google Maps as the default. It is the same thing as trying to set Opera Mini as the default browser. Only official RIM BB apps can be set as default. For some other applications, like SuperPages or Poynt, Google Maps can be set as default. That ability is in each application's options menu.
    This is true. But it doesn't make any difference if you can set it as default or not. As long as you don't use WeatherBug, you can remove BBMaps without worry. I, for one, love WB so I have BBMaps on my BB but hidden away in some subfolder....
    06-04-09 10:05 AM
    This is true. But it doesn't make any difference if you can set it as default or not. As long as you don't use WeatherBug, you can remove BBMaps without worry. I, for one, love WB so I have BBMaps on my BB but hidden away in some subfolder....
    Why can't you remove BB Maps if you use Weatherbug? I am in the same boat, I like Weatherbug, but I never use BB Maps so I would really like to get rid of it to save on memory.
    06-04-09 10:12 AM
    Why can't you remove BB Maps if you use Weatherbug? I am in the same boat, I like Weatherbug, but I never use BB Maps so I would really like to get rid of it to save on memory.
    I don't remember exactly if it stops WB from loading or just affects the GPS location function but I have read in these forums many times that you can't remove BB Maps if you use Weatherbug. Probably more info in the third party app subforum.
    06-04-09 10:22 AM
    Yea, you got the question...orry for not being more foward...

When I go into options>GPS blackberry maps is the only option but I have installed GoogleMaps
    If I delete BB Maps will google maps automaticlly be set as my default GPS ?
    06-04-09 11:02 AM
    will google maps automaticlly be set as my default GPS ?
    No idea what this means ("default GPS" ), but GPS will work with Google Maps.
    06-04-09 11:09 AM
    I don't have the bb maps installed and use google maps frequently. Sometimes I am not able to hook up the gps and google maps, telling me that the GPS is not available but apart from that it works wellu

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 11:10 AM
    I dont have BBmaps and my weatherbug works fine. It wont update your location if you are traveling though. You have to enter it in.
    06-04-09 11:17 AM
    Yea, you got the question...orry for not being more foward...

When I go into options>GPS blackberry maps is the only option but I have installed GoogleMaps
    If I delete BB Maps will google maps automaticlly be set as my default GPS ?
    I do not think so. It merely will not recognize that there are any default GPS/mapping clients. I don't think there is a way to make your BB "force" recognize Google Maps. The app will still work, again it will not be default under these conditions.

Your GPS reciever will still work however, I did not make that clear. Applications that can find your location based on GPS will not be able to actively track you if you remove BB Maps, as someone said above.
    Last edited by Riders On The Storm; 06-04-09 at 11:25 AM.
    06-04-09 11:21 AM
    thanks for all your help
    06-04-09 11:27 AM
    No idea what this means ("default GPS" ), but GPS will work with Google Maps.
    His concern is that whenever he needs to do something regarding GPS, whether that is find his location, track his traveling, or search local points of interest, he would rather use Google Maps instead defaulting to BB Maps. There is the drop down list in the GPS options, but it does not recognize Google Maps to be a default application.
    06-04-09 11:28 AM
    Glad to help!
    06-04-09 11:32 AM
    I thought the latest version of WB (I haven't installed the latest yet) broke free from BB Maps?
    06-04-09 11:53 AM
    I deleted bbmaps after it incorrectly listed my address as being in another neighboring city. I still use Gps dependent programs like Poynt, Nav4All, and Google Maps and haven't had any issues with running those without having bbmaps installed.
    06-04-09 01:08 PM
    I deleted bbmaps after it incorrectly listed my address as being in another neighboring city. I still use Gps dependent programs like Poynt, Nav4All, and Google Maps and haven't had any issues with running those without having bbmaps installed.
    I haven't deleted BB Maps but I never use it as it seems to think I am in Arizona when I am in NJ. Google maps and VZ Nav (VZNAV gone now) both worked fine but BB Maps thinks I'm in Arizona. No matter what I do it won't change. I even called VZW incase there was an account setting I was unaware of that was incorrect. They had no answers for me.
    06-04-09 01:17 PM
    I dont have BBmaps and my weatherbug works fine. It wont update your location if you are traveling though. You have to enter it in.
    Check again WB will NOT load w/o BB maps. I don't use update location at all either.
    06-04-09 02:22 PM
    Because Weatherbug uses BBMaps, therefore if you remove them WB will stop working.
    06-04-09 03:40 PM
    I haven't deleted BB Maps but I never use it as it seems to think I am in Arizona when I am in NJ. Google maps and VZ Nav (VZNAV gone now) both worked fine but BB Maps thinks I'm in Arizona. No matter what I do it won't change. I even called VZW incase there was an account setting I was unaware of that was incorrect. They had no answers for me.
    It will not know your location until you tell it to "Start GPS Navigation." Then it will follow you and show your current location. VZ Nav, Google Maps all read GPS to find your location on start up.
    06-04-09 03:43 PM
    so if I wanted to use Poynt...and deleted BB maps and had google maps it wouldnt make a differnence, It would not work?
    06-04-09 04:02 PM
    Check again WB will NOT load w/o BB maps. I don't use update location at all either.
    Because Weatherbug uses BBMaps, therefore if you remove them WB will stop working.
    To be more accurate, my weatherbug did stop functioning in terms of getting into the app once I deleted BBmaps. However, the icon I had set up on my home screen still updated just fine (i manually entered the location prior). Granted, unless you already have a set location inputted before you delete BBmaps, yeah it will stop working.

But all I ever really used Weatherbug for was the icon on my home screen, so I'm a happy camper sans BBmaps.
    06-04-09 04:40 PM
    His concern is that whenever he needs to do something regarding GPS, whether that is find his location, track his traveling, or search local points of interest, he would rather use Google Maps instead defaulting to BB Maps. There is the drop down list in the GPS options, but it does not recognize Google Maps to be a default application.
    This will not happen until VZ and Google enter into a contract, and currently BB has the contract to be the default GPS software. Just another reason why tying phones to carriers is bad for the consumer
    06-05-09 12:05 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD