After trying a variety of methods to get rid of the soap in my Storm, I called Verizon and bought a refurbished Storm for $50 and I get to keep the old soapy Storm. I was wondering what the negatives are to having a refurbished phone. If anyone can elaborate I would appreciate it. I can't really believe that they would send me a $50 refurbished phone, so if you know of any additional charges that Verizon uses on refurbs, please feel free to post it on here. Thank you.
    03-04-09 07:23 PM
    Well it sounds like they did a 1 time insurance replacement, so I would double check to make sure you don't have to send back the old phone. Sometimes VZW will do it as a courtesy so you don't have to go through Asurion, but they do require the equipment back, otherwise they charge you retail on the phone ($500).

As to particulars about it, it's a coin toss, sometimes they're better, sometimes they're worse. If it's worse though you can always have it replaced under warranty.
    03-04-09 07:31 PM
    it's a phone that was at one point broken and then fixed and sold to you for 50
    03-04-09 07:37 PM
    I'm a fan of refurb stuff. It means that the original had parts that didn't work after coming off the assembly line. Now its gotten personal attention, new parts, and undergone more testing than the OEM phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-09 07:44 PM
    I got a refurb phone as a replacement, and it's fine. It's a mexico manufactured phone and it is not collecting dust under the screen.

Don't sweat it.

Justin
    03-04-09 07:44 PM
    After trying a variety of methods to get rid of the soap in my Storm, I called Verizon and bought a refurbished Storm for $50 and I get to keep the old soapy Storm. I was wondering what the negatives are to having a refurbished phone. If anyone can elaborate I would appreciate it. I can't really believe that they would send me a $50 refurbished phone, so if you know of any additional charges that Verizon uses on refurbs, please feel free to post it on here. Thank you.
    What is you tried to do to clean the soapy storm? Not enough time has passes since your posts to have rinsed the storm with distilled water or alcohol and dried it and tested it??

Sounds like you got a great deal for a water damaged phone. As posted above, be sure to look carefully at the information that comes with the replacement to confirm that you do not need to return the soapy storm.

And keep the new phone away from your sister!!
    03-04-09 07:48 PM
    I'm a fan of refurb stuff. It means that the original had parts that didn't work after coming off the assembly line. Now its gotten personal attention, new parts, and undergone more testing than the OEM phone.

I, too, believe refurbs get more attention by an actual person and I've been buying refurbs for as long as I can remember. You get a great deal, same warranty (in most cases) as the new item.

One thing I learned though is that sometimes, they're not really refurbished by the manufacturer but refurbished by a 3rd party. I know Asurion has a department that refurbishes phones. It's probably a hit and miss but I would assume that if you get a refurbished phone from Asurion, it's not refurbished by RIM but rather refurbished by Asurion. Sometimes, it will say MANUFACTURER refurbished which I tend to go for.
    03-04-09 08:49 PM
    I, too, believe refurbs get more attention by an actual person and I've been buying refurbs for as long as I can remember. You get a great deal, same warranty (in most cases) as the new item.

One thing I learned though is that sometimes, they're not really refurbished by the manufacturer but refurbished by a 3rd party. I know Asurion has a department that refurbishes phones. It's probably a hit and miss but I would assume that if you get a refurbished phone from Asurion, it's not refurbished by RIM but rather refurbished by Asurion. Sometimes, it will say MANUFACTURER refurbished which I tend to go for.
    Excellent point. I personally have seen many Asurion phones come into our store and feel that sometimes they're complete POS phones. In general the ones from Verizon tend to be very good. It would depend on where OP got his phone from.
    03-04-09 08:57 PM
    ive got 2 refurbs from verizon and they both are sub par.
    03-04-09 10:00 PM
    im getting a refurb storm from verizon tomorrow.... very scared about it...
    03-04-09 11:21 PM
    I had a refurb curve and it worked great for 2 years, i would say don't worry but you never know with storms.
    03-04-09 11:28 PM

I agree.. a verizon rep told me the same thing today
    03-04-09 11:52 PM
    I've done this through Asurion couple times while being loyal to Palm. I had a Treo 650. Claimed insurance on it and Asurion sent me a refurb. Turns out one the keys on the very left side of the keyboard don't work. So I called them back and I told them I will not accept a refurbished phone. They told me they're out of new 650s but they had plenty of refurbished ones. I told them I don't want to have the same problem again. They said they were sorry and sent me a 700. Excited... because I didn't qualify for NE2 yet. Then the 755p came out and a few months after it came out, somebody stole my 700. So I called Asurion. They sent me a refurbished 700. I don't quite remember what was wrong with it but when I called Asurion, the rep offered me a 755p instead (I didn't even ask for it) for the inconvenience that this has caused. I love Asurion.
    03-05-09 12:41 PM
    I've had many a refurb. They are hit and miss just like new phones. There are plenty of new phones that have out of the box faults. Chances are a refurb will have undergone some sort of basic testing.
    03-05-09 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD