I first purchased my a year ago. Since then, I have gone through about 7 refurbished models. Why is the number so high? Because when I receive the refurb, the touch screen pad is very difficult to "click" in the lower portion of the screen.

For example, while typing a text or email, I have problems with the space button, return key, etc is because the clicking sensitivity is not there. Last night when I was on the phone with a VZ rep, they said it is a know issue with the Storm refubs. So here are my questions,

1. Has anyone else received a refurb phone with this problem?
    2. Why would they keep on sending out these phones with these problems?
    3. Is there anything I could do to fix this problem without having to send it out again?
    12-23-09 06:30 AM
    Search for screen click fix. There is a few things you can do.
    12-23-09 07:46 AM
    I have had the same problem with the refurbs lately. I went through 3 in the store before I had to throw a fit in the store to get them to order me a new one. I am waiting for it in the mail right now. But according to VZW tech support in the store, that is how the screen is supposed to work. I have had dead spots in the corners on the screens and they tried to tell me that it's not supposed to click there or that I have a virus on my phone and that's why it won't click. I laughed in their face and told them to get more training on the phone. (I know, a little rude, but I was agitated at that point, I tried being nice but then I just got upset with their lack of willingness to help and lack of knowledge of the phones they are supposed to support).

I will let you know once I get my 'new' phone in the mail if the screen is any better that the refurbs have been.

Search for screen click fix. There is a few things you can do.
    I paid $600 for this phone, it should just work. I should have to tighten screws or put paper under the battery to make my $600 phone perform correctly.
    12-23-09 08:13 AM
    I have had the same problem with the refurbs lately. I went through 3 in the store before I had to throw a fit in the store to get them to order me a new one. I am waiting for it in the mail right now. But according to VZW tech support in the store, that is how the screen is supposed to work. I have had dead spots in the corners on the screens and they tried to tell me that it's not supposed to click there or that I have a virus on my phone and that's why it won't click. I laughed in their face and told them to get more training on the phone. (I know, a little rude, but I was agitated at that point, I tried being nice but then I just got upset with their lack of willingness to help and lack of knowledge of the phones they are supposed to support).

I will let you know once I get my 'new' phone in the mail if the screen is any better that the refurbs have been.

I paid $600 for this phone, it should just work. I should have to tighten screws or put paper under the battery to make my $600 phone perform correctly.

I too had to do the "fit thing" on the phone where they were able to allow me to get a new one at the store. The new ones are perfect. However, a couple months ago I had some problems that that new phone and went through 2 refurb phones and went to a store. I had to speak to a manager and even though there was a definite problem when typing on the phone, the stupid moronic manager said there is nothing they could do because it works. This is the biggest problem I've experienced with this phone. I hope the S2 is nothing like this.
    12-23-09 10:36 AM
    Yeah, I was in there yesterday trying to get this one replace. The bottom of my screen, near the physical buttons, would not click unless you used 'excessive' force. And when held in landscape, you could not press on the connections hotspot. The tech told me that the screen was not meant to be clicked there.

Then to prove that the screen is 'working', she opened the dial pad and pressed 555### and said 'See, the phone is working based on the manufacturer specs. This is the test they told us to preform. There is noting I can do for this phone.' That is when I started to loose my cool with the lady yesterday. I grab the phone turned it landscape and said press the connections. She turned it back to the dial pad and said see, it's working. Then I raised my voice. My wife works in customer service so I know not to do that as you won't get what you want, but I was beyond the point of keeping my cool. That is when she just grabbed my phone walked behind the counter, tossed it on the desk, and then told me they were out of those phones and she would order me a new one. (Then shipped it 2 day instead of overnight).

I just think that some of the 'techs' at the VZW stores are not trained very well. They are just people getting a job and watching a video on how the phone should work. On 1 of my many visits in there with this phone, the tech said, I don't really get into all the fancy phones, I just have 1 that works so I don't know how it's supposed to work for you.
    12-23-09 10:49 AM
    Here's something you can do for fun, check see if your phone is made in Canada or Mexico. Mexican phones are 3 times the phones that come from Canada. Who knew! But they are the better versions. The original phone I bought was made n Mexico. Kept it for a long long long time, but when my wife had problems, she was going to ge a new set of plastics and her phone was gonna be pretty again... so I made up a problem with my phone. That was a mistake, because I got 2 straight from Canada and they sucked. So, I eventually went into the store and showed them what was wrong, (the clicking was it) and they were going to get me a new one from their inventory. I explained that the ones from Mexico were better, so he let me go through them and get one from mexico that clicks well, and the hard buttons are flush, all that stuff. So, I'm happy. But then again, where I'm from people are usually much nicer than most parts of the country.
    12-23-09 11:52 AM
    I purchased a (Asurion) remanufactured Storm 9350 recently from the original owner who did not even take it out of the shrink wrap. The inside label was dated 11/3/09 and a Product of Canada. It came with .328 installed, got an unlock code and currently using it on T-Mobile.

The screen click was exactly like all of you are describing. I did a lot of reading on the forums and decided to try the torx screw fix. Since I have no warranty, I removed the sticker, marked each screw for reference, and loosened each screw until the screen felt "right." Left - 1/4 turn, right 1/2 turn. Apparently they tighten these screws until it bottoms and it's too tight. I understand that this adjustment should not be necessary for a phone of this caliber. But this worked great for me!
    Last edited by shfjcs; 12-23-09 at 01:03 PM.
    12-23-09 12:25 PM
    You can do that ^, but if you're worried about warranty:

The easiest way to fix it is to place a piece of a business card, dime, guitar pick, etc. behind the battery. It will fix it with ease.
    12-23-09 12:56 PM
    at firsdt i had the same problem..when typing the spacebar is hard to click
    12-23-09 01:02 PM
    The device I received from Verizon was actually better than my original. Guess I was lucky.
    12-23-09 03:54 PM
    The device I received from Verizon was actually better than my original. Guess I was lucky.
    VERY lucky! I hope I have the same luck when my replacement refurb comes tomorrow.
    12-23-09 04:19 PM
    Try cutting out a piece of velcro the size of a nickle and put it on top of the battery. It works wonders.

I used the velcro that I use for keeping network cables straight on my wifes 9530 and it has improved the click 100% no more dead zones.
    12-23-09 07:49 PM
    Mine is much better than my first one also. This one was made in Hungry. One thing this has is a rubber insert under the battery, much like the paper trick many have been doing before.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 09:54 PM
    Try cutting out a piece of velcro the size of a nickle and put it on top of the battery. It works wonders.

I used the velcro that I use for keeping network cables straight on my wifes 9530 and it has improved the click 100% no more dead zones.
    Bingo! Worked like a champ!
    12-25-09 06:24 AM
    Check out the new refurbs! They have a small rubber disk behind the battery. Click is the shizznitt. Merry X-mas!

12-25-09 08:54 AM
    I went through 3 refurbished storms and asurion finally gave up and sent me a new one that was better than my original phone that I broke. asurion told me they have a policy of sending at least two refurbs before giving you a new one. So of you aren't happy keep swapping them out.

12-25-09 01:33 PM

Yup, it should work. If you had it replaced at the store 3 times, why did you even walk out of the store with it if the screen wasn't perfect? Should have just not accepted it right there and then instead of taking it home and then complain about it.
    The torx fix doesn't void any warranty, just replace the sticker when you are done and noone will ever know. Could have saved you a lot of headache and it only takes seconds to do. you wasted more time going back and forth to the store than a few seconds. How did you pay $600 for a phone that cost originally only $499?
    12-25-09 08:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD