For those who have gotten replacements recently--does the build seem better, or is it still quite hit and miss?
    12-28-08 05:18 PM
    I can't speak for replacements but the newer devices are just fine. The QOS of the building process has been upgraded. I would assume this applies to refurbs also.
    12-28-08 05:22 PM
    For those who have gotten replacements recently--does the build seem better, or is it still quite hit and miss?
    i've gone through 5 phones across 2 lines and the most recent replacements, both of which are 21009 builds, are perfect.
    12-28-08 05:28 PM
    I've a replacement and I have to say the feel of the device is much better then the first Storm I had. The first was made in Canada and the replacement was in made in Mexico. The click feels much more tighter and there is less light leakage. The replacement also came with .75. But the media player still sucks for me.
    12-28-08 05:29 PM
    Crucial-- I am within my 30 day window, so I guess I am getting a brand new phone. Hopefully you're right
    12-28-08 05:30 PM
    Not sure of differences with 9500 though. Would be interesting to know
    12-28-08 05:44 PM
    Got my replacement Friday night, and it feels a lot better, sturdier, the parts seem to fit better, and the screen is 100% better.
    12-28-08 05:48 PM
    Guess my wife and I are not running into the same issues. We both bought our Storms the first day it came out. We both are happy with these original phones (made in Canada). Typing is fine, even in the corners. No paper behind the battery or torx screw trick required. OS upgrades have made them incrementally better. Guess were lucky?

Maybe I should head out to Verizon and play with another Storm to see if we're missing out on something.
    12-28-08 06:04 PM
    Crucial-- I am within my 30 day window, so I guess I am getting a brand new phone. Hopefully you're right
    Oh, I'm serious as a heart-attack. Every device I've seen made from Dec. 3 and beyond haven't had a single issue in regards to build quality. No issues with screen clicking, etc.
    12-28-08 06:06 PM
    Ah CX I wish that was true for my Storm. Mine was made 12-17-08 and I have the light leaking around the screen (not the call buttons, I hear thats normal) But so far I haven't had dust issues so hopefully it's just a leaky screen and that I can live with.
    12-28-08 06:16 PM
    Ah CX I wish that was true for my Storm. Mine was made 12-17-08 and I have the light leaking around the screen (not the call buttons, I hear thats normal) But so far I haven't had dust issues so hopefully it's just a leaky screen and that I can live with.
    Your device is just fine. There is a gap around the entire screen, and light leaking is normal. I have seen hundreds of Storms made after Dec. 3 and haven't seen one with a single problem.
    12-28-08 06:19 PM
    I received my replacement the other day. Was made 12-18 from Mexico PRD 19502-002 and the improvements are night and day. The click screen is flawless with minimal gaps. The software was laggy right out of the box, but went away quick. I couldn't be happier. My original phone was made 12-7or 12-8 (cant remember exactly) from Canada..but it had the click screen problem.
    12-28-08 06:21 PM
    Your device is just fine. There is a gap around the entire screen, and light leaking is normal. I have seen hundreds of Storms made after Dec. 3 and haven't seen one with a single problem.
    That almost sounds like an endorsement to swap out...I got my Storm 11-21, do you recommend swapping devices?
    12-28-08 06:23 PM
    That almost sounds like an endorsement to swap out...I got my Storm 11-21, do you recommend swapping devices?
    If you're having problems with the original, yes I do. You paid the money for it, you should have a properly working device.
    12-28-08 06:25 PM
    I wouldn't say I am having problems, the hardware just feels....kind of cheap that's all. You are a huge help on the forums by the way, had to use your 3rd party app thread just today.
    12-28-08 06:27 PM
    I wouldn't say I am having problems, the hardware just feels....kind of cheap that's all. You are a huge help on the forums by the way, had to use your 3rd party app thread just today.
    You're welcome. If your screen doesn't click with the same pressure across the entire screen, or the buttons feel or are about to fall off, I'd take it back and get another. I might would do it regardless.
    12-28-08 06:32 PM
    I just got back from the VZ store with mine. I decided to go in and complain after checking a display model out while in another state. The out of state store had 2 phones. One of them was awesome with perfect uniform clicking. The other one was only slightly better than mine.

My phone was delivered on the 22nd and was a 1905 or whatever. I could not find a build date. While in landscape, the A and P on my phone require about twice the pressure to click. I was considering just living with it, but then the idea of putting up with it for 2 years did not appeal to me. Other than that, I love the phone... my first smart phone.

When I went to my local store, their phones were OK. Better than mine, but they were originals and had messages begging to be upgraded to .75. The lady there confirmed the issue I was having and ordered me a new one. She said she had to bill my wireless bill and then I would have to come into the store to exchange / get a credit. Not ideal IMO, but I am assured a new phone. She at first asked if I wanted to wait until later in the week when they would have inventory of the phones, but I requested one be ordered in case that didn't happen.

All three of the "tech" reps there claimed to have never had a storm exchanged. I put tech in parenthesis because the tech had to ask me how to unlock the phone.
    12-29-08 06:57 PM
    I bought one last night here in NYC. Build date of 12-23-08. Had a dead pixel out of the box and a screen that is hard as **** to press directly over the four keys. What happened?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 07:01 PM
    folks who have gotten devices post dec 3rd, how has the phone come in terms of packaging?

New box with all accessories or brown box with just the phone and nothing else?

Waiting on my 3rd phone... curious about the brown box and whether it is new.
    12-29-08 07:23 PM
    You're welcome. If your screen doesn't click with the same pressure across the entire screen, or the buttons feel or are about to fall off, I'd take it back and get another. I might would do it regardless.
    This is exactly what is going on with my phone.

I am currently running .85 and have virtually no issues.

My screen clicks great except near the "blackberry" logo and near the bottom buttons.
    I also just noticed tonight that the green send button looks like its about to fall off.

Think I'm gonna be requesting a replacement tonight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 07:38 PM
    How do you tell from decal on the box when a storm was made, i got my storm from verizon on 22th of dec its made in Mexico
    12-29-08 07:46 PM
    is this the date ?
    PRD-19502-002 081208

could last number be 8 December 2008?
    Last edited by kenwebb; 12-29-08 at 08:04 PM.
    12-29-08 08:02 PM
    IMHO, you guys are taking this too seriously. Of course, there is a certain psychology that newer is always better, this always happens, it's part of human psychology. If the phone works fine, then it works fine. If not, then get a replacement.

My phone has problem with irresponsive screen, but it has since went away. Other than that, it's great.
    12-29-08 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD