I currently have a Storm 9530 through Verizon. I called them to unlock the phone since I'll be travelling to the UK next week and want to use a SIM card from a local carrier (e.g., Virgin Mobile) while I'm there. My question is this:

When I place the UK carrier's SIM into the Storm, would I still receive emails from the account I have registered through BIS?
    05-28-09 08:52 AM
    You shouldn't. I used my phone overseas, and the network was registered with the sim card I was using. however, I am using a 9500 and not a 9530.

There might be an option to disable CDMA and only use GSM. That might help but i'm not completely sure about that.
    05-28-09 09:21 AM
    You shouldn't. I used my phone overseas, and the network was registered with the sim card I was using. however, I am using a 9500 and not a 9530.

There might be an option to disable CDMA and only use GSM. That might help but i'm not completely sure about that.
    If I shouldn't receive any emails, can you think of any way I could still get them on my device while I'm there, or am I looking at a cybercafe?
    05-28-09 09:35 AM
    you would need to keep the VZW SIM card. enable the VZW global data plan and you'll have their service, just while roaming on another network. if you use a local SIM for calling and such, then you won't get your VZW services anymore. your VZW programming is on the SIM they provide, you remove that and you're removing your programming.

why not do both? use local SIM for calling, and swap out for data only use?
    05-28-09 11:22 AM
    why not do both? use local SIM for calling, and swap out for data only use?
    My wife has the same phone, and I can't really ask her to keep swapping cards out during the day. She really needs the email more than I do because there's a job search going on.

So what you're saying is that the BIS email forwarding is a VZW specific service, is that right? If so, do you think we could we still use the local SIM and access the email host's website through the Storm's browser?
    05-28-09 11:27 AM
    You will need to update your Host Routing Table once you change carriers.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/ver...m+Card%2Femail
    05-28-09 11:43 AM
    Thanks for the link. It looks like I should probably go with Vodafone since they sell and support the Storm, even though the rates are better with Virgin.
    05-28-09 11:47 AM
    FYI - If you get the pay-as-you-go from Vodafone, RIM cripples the Storm and doesn't allow internet or email access. Only texts and calls would be enabled.

Fail.
    05-29-09 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD