Reason to replace
    Ok, I am going on my 5th Storm. This will be my last one, even if the Verizon operator said we will do this till it works.
    I know some people think constantly trading in storms may be picky, but there are people on her who have legitimate reasons to trade in other than just dust or needing a new one to get the newer model.
    The reason why some of us can get replacements no problem is we have real issues and RIM/ Verizon recognizes it.

To reiterate:
    1st Storm � Screen did not click, software was buggy and the battery was bad. All was documented and verified by RIM and local Verizon Store.

2Nd Storm � Identical to the 1st Storm plus more software issues, even with the OS upgrade. Again I had the local Verizon store check it out and they had the same problems as the ones I experienced.

3Rd Storm � Screen would depress but it would not come back up. I had to shake the CRa==P out of it till it bounced back up. Once again the local Verizon store tech verified the problem.

4Th Storm (current) - This one has been the best Storm so far. The screen is crisp, no dust and the screen does not even move 1/100th of in inch and yet it clicks everywhere with the slightest touch. I am running OS .85 and I am having a little more battery pulls lately along with the white app screen error. No big deal. I even noticed that the buttons are getting more and more sloppy/ loose, especially the send and end keys. The light leakage is also getting worse between the keys as they are being used more frequently. With all these issue I planned on keeping this unit. But now, it is almost impossible to press the send key, it no longer registers, it�s getting worn out. The more I use it the worse it gets.
    This may be a concern for other users whose keys are loose. The more you press the keys, the silicone underneath will wear out and rip. If you have solid keys, this should not be a problem. I use the end key a lot so it�s wearing out fast.

So I finally bit the bullet and called Verizon last night and explained to them the issues I was having.
    The very friendly CS asked some quick questions and I explained what was going on. She said I am so sorry you are having problems and transferred me to a RIM technician. After spending 10 min explaining to them the problem, he said there will be a �Brand new one coming, please return everything that came with my Storm; the cord, headphones, battery, disc, books etc... He said the Brand new one will be here Monday and I am to return EVERYTHING, he also said that I would be very happy with the new one.� I don�t know what he meant by that but great.
    I stopped by my local Verizon store today to get verification and show them the issues and they agreed I need a new one.
    I would suggest to anyone who has loose/ sloppy keys, keep an eye on it as it will wear out quickly.

Here are some pics of the light leakage and the bad key.

01-09-09 09:19 PM
    wow this is crazy..Number 3 and 4 are the EXACT same two reasons why I had to return my two Storms. The first for the screens not releasing and had to shake it or hit the back to release the screen, the second Storm because the End key fell off. Atleast I know Im not alone with one of the keys coming off lol. I got my new storm tonight from my local Store and asked to check out the phone before they completed the transaction. After carefully looking over the phones keys and checking all areas of the screen for even click I handed it back to him and said "lets do it" lol. Hopefully, 3rd time is the charm. Good luck with your new phone
    01-09-09 09:30 PM
    Come children, all are welcome all welcome. Step into the light...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by pathymo; 01-09-09 at 09:33 PM.
    01-09-09 09:31 PM
    My send and ens keys are slightly loose but have remained the same or even improved over the three and a half weeks I've owned my phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 09:41 PM
    Im sorry to hear that. Hope the new one works out for you.
    01-09-09 09:51 PM
    My BB key is slightly loose, but I don't think I'm going to fool with getting another replacement. I've purposely used the BB key over and over the past few days to see if it would become looser, and it hasn't. The screen clicks great everywhere, and the screen gaps are smaller than my previous two and it doesn't move around nearly as much. I'll definitely keep an eye on that button though.
    01-09-09 10:19 PM
    if your using a case to hold your phone...make sure you slip the phone in with the lock side in first. most people don't realize they are the ones damaging these phones.

just noticed your phone is sitting on one of the cases and that could have been your problem with the loose button.
    01-09-09 11:40 PM
    No, it's sitting on my folio case but I do have a leather case but it does not catch. I am aware of the issue some people have with the case catching on the buttons.
    It came from the factory with loose keys, it just got worse over a period of time.
    Only thing holding the keys in place is a dab of glue on the silicone, which seem to be wearing out quickly.
    01-09-09 11:51 PM
    dude you definitely dropped that storm, look at the scrapes on the send button itself and look at that nasty scrape/dent in the chrome plating above the button. could that be a reason the buttons are falling off?
    01-10-09 12:47 AM
    Sorry, not been dropped.
    It's a phone it is used heavily and it gets tossed in my pocket, so no I don't baby it but it definitly has not been dropped.
    01-10-09 12:56 AM
    had my storm for about 4 weeks now. Buttons are still solid but screen wobbles when it shakes and the corners of the screen click terribly unless there is paper or card in behind the battery door. It wasn't very buggy, just a little.

My replacement storm is on the way. should be delivered Monday. So hopefully I get the newest hardware version. Let me know the hardware version when you get it.
    01-10-09 01:48 AM
    All Storms are the same. There has been no hardware revision. RIM might have upped the QC on the Storm, but that's it. All internal/external components are the same. Refer to the MODEL number of your phone which will be RBW71CW. If your phone has a different MODEL number, let us know. Hint: It won't.
    01-10-09 02:22 AM
    Didn't even move 1/100th of an inch eh? You realize a piece of paper is 3/100's of an inch thick right?
    01-10-09 02:28 AM
    sounds like your just hard on phones
    01-10-09 02:31 AM
    just got my 5th replacement. its made in Canada on Jan 4th of 2009 and its PERFECT!!!! Its like buying a computer, would you settle if it was having problems within a month of buying it? I wouldn't. and I bet all of you would do the same. My 5th one was given to me in the Verizon store so I got to check it out before I took it home. Good luck to you StormTroopers out there!
    01-10-09 03:05 AM
    I would recommend to just get some rubber cement glue and glue it back on, its hard to get a better replacment, Usually it takes like 4 to 5 units until you get one thats good.
    01-10-09 05:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD