Ok... so I put the "noo" in "noob". Ive only ever had cell phones. used to text and to make calls. I just got my storm and LOVE it. I'm trying to work out all the kinks and this site is AWESOME for that and I've already learned an enormous amount from reading here.

Unfortunately, in utter awesome'ness, its also HUGE. Ive tried searching for my answer, but come up with hundreds of threads with "pin" and "what+is+pin" in them.

What is a pin? I know where to find mine on the phone, and I know what my pin is... but what is it USED for?
    04-09-09 11:25 AM
    Your PIN is your phones unique identifier, it can be used with the BlackBerry Messenger app to Instant Message/text other BlackBerry users. BlackBerry Messenger is like text messaging but doesn't cost additional money, it uses your data plan. You must have other users PIN in order to contact them through messenger
    04-09-09 11:28 AM
    It is a device-specific number. Unique to your device, it is the method most commonly used to identify your particular device in applications such as Blackberry Messenger, etc. Also, some 3rd party software will request your PIN as a way of making the software device-specific before download. Hope this helps.
    04-09-09 11:30 AM
    The only "stupid" question is a question not asked!
    04-09-09 11:32 AM
    *whew*

thank you sooo much. I have all these "stupid questions" in my head and I have searched and found answers to some of them by reading through this forum. I was reading another thread and kept seeing mention of the pin in it... searched and couldnt find it. I didnt want to continue reading until I figured out that part.

I knew you could message other blackberry users, but didnt see the difference in that or text.... never thought of the cost.

where is that little hand slapping head smiley that I'll need to use so often here.

Anyway... thanks again for the quick quick answer
    04-09-09 11:34 AM
    Its also the Blackberry Internet Service identifier. Only useful to you in applications. But thats what RIM uses to identify you on their severs.
    04-09-09 11:41 AM
    wow, I am so glad to see a noob ask a question and not get flamed for it
    04-09-09 11:42 AM
    Welcome to crackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 11:45 AM
    yeah idea of pin is great

and the ease of use of BB messenger too!

it leaves an 'open portal' between you and other BB user (your friend, family, business partner, etc)
    04-09-09 11:49 AM
    yeah idea of pin is great

and the ease of use of BB messenger too!

it leaves an 'open portal' between you and other BB user (your friend, family, business partner, etc)

also, forgot to mention...
    the cool thing too about it is you can have an open chat with more than 2 people. For instance you, your spouse and your brother cam all decide where your going to eat dinner (if you're all in meetings and cant call each other). 3-way chat.

however, i dont know what the maximum pins can be in one chat.

have fun!
    04-09-09 11:52 AM
    I respectfully disagree.

If there is an obvious answer, it is stupid. For example if you're standing on the street in front of "Joe's Flower shop", and ask "I wonder if they have roses here" That is probably a stupid question.

For the OP, check out the blackberry help at the top of the screen, and look at blackberry 101, that will answer a great deal of questions.

borderline stupid question.... ~smiles~
    04-09-09 11:52 AM
    wow, I am so glad to see a noob ask a question and not get flamed for it
    Completely agree.

Welcome to Crackberry!!
    04-09-09 11:53 AM
    Also glad to see some real help for newbies here without all the flames.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 12:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD