When I first got my Storm a month ago, I noticed that the OS would crash randomly once in a while, maybe once a day under heavy use.

Now, the thing is crashing and restarting itself several times a day, usually when the phone is completely idle and sitting on a desk: I just happen to look at it and notice the white screen with the tiny clock icon while it is rebooting.

I thought maybe this was related to installing the new App World store application over the weekend, and then installing a few apps from there. But I uninstalled all those apps, then deleted the App World app, and restarted several times. And I just noticed that the damn thing restarted itself again just now.

Is anyone else seeing this on their Storm? Are there any logs on the thing, or any way to determine what exactly is causing the crashes?
    04-07-09 02:57 PM
    Funny u should bring this up. My Storm did this for the first time yesterday afternoon (or maybe it wasn't the first time?). No idea why. It was idle, btw .
    04-07-09 03:10 PM
    Really? WTF? Why would this happen all of a sudden ... especially when I've never done an OS update (since there's never been one available OTA yet)?

Did you also recently install the App World application?
    04-07-09 03:13 PM
    This is a known issue with the .75 OS. Upgrade and you will notice a difference.

I suggest eithe .113 or .109 as I have found those to be the most stable.
    04-07-09 03:13 PM
    Really? WTF? Why would this happen all of a sudden ... especially when I've never done an OS update (since there's never been one available OTA yet)?

Did you also recently install the App World application?
    Thats exactly it though. Its BECAUSE you havent updated your OS that it is happening.
    04-07-09 03:14 PM
    Thats exactly it though. Its BECAUSE you havent updated your OS that it is happening.
    If that's it, then why won't VZW push out an update?!? I don't want to install a leaked OS, but with this lack of support, I am getting pushed closer and closer to doing so...

And holy S#!+, there it goes again, rebooting itself right before my eyes ....
    04-07-09 03:16 PM
    It might be a battery problem make sure your battery connections are clean and the battery is tight!
    04-07-09 03:18 PM
    Seriously, upgrade the OS. I dont suggest you asking why VZW hasnt released an official yet. Its been discussed to death on CB, and no one really knows why or when.

Honestly though, the leaked OS's are solid. Any worries that you have should be wiped away the instant you load one on. They are much better than .75 in every aspect.

Just do it. You wont be disappointed.
    04-07-09 03:21 PM
    My friend just told me he had a problem with another VZW smartphone (not a BB) that would restart itself every time he put it down on his metal desk, something to do with the antenna he assumed ... not sure if this correlates here, but I do have a metal desk ...

Thanks for the tip on the battery, but I've had the phone for about a month and I have only opened the compartment once before, so I doubt it's a dirty battery connection. Regardless, i just pulled the battery and checked the connectors (look ok).

I know the OS thing has been discussed at length here, and it doesn't seem like an official update will be released anytime soon -- despite the number of "unofficial" releases, which makes no sense to me ... how do you get up to .114 from .075 without an actual release?
    04-07-09 03:29 PM
    Well first of all, I dont suggest going to .114. It has some issues with it. Go to either .109 or .113, or even one of the hybrids.

Upgrading your OS is pretty easy actually. Just find the thread for the OS you are interested in that has the download link available. Download the OS to your computer. Install the OS to your computer. Them upgrade the OS using with the AppLoader or DM.

There is a thread in the Beta OS Forum with more detailed instructions on how to upgrade and downgrade that you should check out as well.

Regarding the metal desk....I highly doubt that has anything to do with your phone. Not sure about your friends, but I know that I put mine on metal all the time and nothing happens.
    04-07-09 03:34 PM
    Yeah, I know it's not the metal desk ... as outlandish as it sounded, I was actually hoping it was something stupid like that. Of course, I deliberately kept the phone 1 foot off my desk just now for about 15 minutes, and watched it reboot again ... WTF.

Aw man, I really don't want to use an unofficial firmware release, I really don't ... but this really sucks. And can you only do this from a Windows PC? Or from a Mac or Linux box too? Looks like the tools are all for Windows....
    04-07-09 03:43 PM
    Well, if you run parallels in a Mac you can install using windows.

Not sure about Linux though. In all honesty even though these are leaked OS's, they are BETTER than .75 and its "official" status. I understand the hesitation, but once you do it, you will be soooooooo much happier.
    04-07-09 03:50 PM
    Thanks graspDESIGN. I may just do it. I'll look into upgrading tonight.

And yes: I am jealous ... Honolulu is a long way from NY!
    04-07-09 03:53 PM
    Why yes, yes it is a long way...

Well, I hope you do upgrade. It will get rid of your problem, and also solve others that you may not have run into yet.
    04-07-09 04:02 PM
    Ok, although you may listen to the other people giving you advice... I am on my 3rd Storm, my first 2 did that all the time. My 3rd one however, no problems. My suggestion is trade it back in. Why spend the time finding out why, take it back in. You will be much happier if you do.
    04-07-09 04:07 PM
    My wife's phone developed the exact same problem. She took it into Verizon and they sent her a new phone. Hopefully this one will work better than the last.
    04-07-09 04:53 PM
    My Storm did this too. I found it did it the most when I was in low service areas in large buildings. I took the advice of these guys here at CB and upgraded to .113 and no more random restarting and its a heck of a lot better all around.
    04-07-09 04:58 PM
    how do you upgrade?

mine crash's daily as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 04:58 PM
    Go to the Beta OS forum and follow the upgrading thread instructions.
    04-07-09 05:10 PM
    http: //forums.crackberry. com/f132/storm-9530-4-7-0-113-os-download-here-189149/

just remove the spaces
    04-07-09 05:11 PM
    Thanks all. Was pretty easy to upgrade, with a few somewhat scary, "did I brick my phone?" moments when it looked like things weren't responding, but everything went fine and the upgrade took less than 30 minutes. I haven't seen a reboot since ... then again, I haven't been staring at my phone either, but it seems to be better than it was. Are there any quirks/features in going from .075 to .113 to be aware of?
    04-08-09 07:15 AM
    My Storm did this too. I found it did it the most when I was in low service areas in large buildings...
    That's a good point: the reboots seemed to happen only at work and at home, and in both places I get 0-2/5 coverage bars. Maybe that's the key.
    04-08-09 07:17 AM
    Mine also reboots occasionally. Usually once a day, but sometimes up to 4 or 5. And today it did it when I had 5 bars of service, so I'm not sure that is the key to it. Probably just the software. I'll have to look into an update myself.
    04-08-09 12:55 PM
    I have to say the phone hasn't crashed or rebooted itself a single time since upgrading to .113, and that's after re-installing App World and most of the apps I had previously installed. There seem to be a few "quirks" since .075, like clicking the screen can no longer be used to "wake" the phone when it's locked (must press Lock or On/Off to see the screen), but that's not a big deal.
    04-09-09 12:34 PM
    This is a known issue with the .75 OS. Upgrade and you will notice a difference.

I suggest eithe .113 or .109 as I have found those to be the most stable.
    This doesn't help anything I am on .113 and it happened yesterday

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 12:41 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD