So over the last three days I have been experiencing a 15-20 mb memory loss over 24 hours (QuickPull Pro is scheduled to run once a day). I boot with about 43-45 mb using one of Lyr's hybrids for about 3 weeks now and haven't installed any new apps in about a week.

Also, the memory loss isn't affecting performance so I don't want to sound like I'm whining.

However, what can cause these random leaks? Losing 15 mb from 40 is no big deal but if I booted with 20 it would be devastating. I'd love to hear any ideas.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 01:06 AM
    I wouldn't consider what you are experiencing a memory leak. Especially if quick pull corrocts it every night.
    08-28-09 01:09 AM
    08-28-09 01:11 AM
    in the OS section, there is a nice thread call 'resolved memory leak'...read it

also, try 151 no hybrid and i doubt you have issue
    08-28-09 01:11 AM
    I should clarify - for the first few weeks I would lose maybe 5...no more than 7 mbs a dy.

I guess I'm just curious why the recent spike.

08-28-09 01:15 AM
    in the OS section, there is a nice thread call 'resolved memory leak'...read it

also, try 151 no hybrid and i doubt you have issue
    I've read it before...recently actually after installing Lyr's .151 hybrid.

Lots of good info there but not really any answers for this particular problem.

08-28-09 01:17 AM
    Anything running in the background?
    08-28-09 01:18 AM
    Because you use it more and more as you get used to it and probably run more apps than you used to. Read the link me and howarmat sent you.
    08-28-09 01:18 AM
    I really must emphasize I do not believe this is a problem. if anything it is normal. IMO
    08-28-09 01:19 AM
    the definition of a memory leak is this:

memory is being drawn upon to be used by an app/service, and not being relinquished when said task is completed...

memory is meant to fluctuate...disable QP and see if it ever bounces back. if not then it's a memory leak, if it bounces back, then your phone is doing what it was designed to do...

question: why are you monitoring your memory if you have no performance issues anyway? a watched pot won't boil, and if you keep staring at it, eventually you'll find a problem with it.

my suggestion is this: disable the auto reboot, and see how long you can go before performance starts to suffer...but don't monitor memory. just make sure you close apps when you're done using 'em, that's all...if nothing happens, then you're just one of the OCD memory watching sheeple on this site...and that is easy to fix. just stop doing it. if your phone starts to lag and crash, then we start to find out why...

the memory is just a symptom, it's not the issue at hand. you wanna look at themes, apps, and larger than usual databases on your phone.
    08-28-09 01:33 AM
    patches you have been cracking me up lately!
    08-28-09 01:40 AM
    sorry, i hit 5k, i'm tenured now, i can be grumpy and straight forward. i've paid my dues, done my time, and i've been banned...twice, so i know the limits, and...to be honest, there's no excuse for having a question like this with all of the literature about memory leaks in the storm forum...there's literally a "how to" or a thread with a gazillion links to other "how to" threads in each forum and subforum around here
    08-28-09 01:44 AM
    Anything running in the background?
    Nothing out of the ordinary...phone, messages, browser, TalkLock, and home.
    Because you use it more and more as you get used to it and probably run more apps than you used to. Read the link me and howarmat sent you.
    Maybe, but I don't think so. Calls, web browsing, sending/receiving mail and messages and the calculator are really the only things I use on a regular basis. I play a game or two but that's usually when I'm stuck in court or if I'm lying in bed trying to get drowsy. I don't use the phone as a media player or anything of the sort.

And again, I've read the thread before but I see no definitive answers on why memory drops for no significant reason. I've seen a lot of speculation, but nothing solid (or at least nothing that matches anything I may have done to cause to it).
    I really must emphasize I do not believe this is a problem. if anything it is normal. IMO
    And I'm good with that. Like I said, performance isn't suffering. I'm just curious is all.
    the definition of a memory leak is this:

memory is being drawn upon to be used by an app/service, and not being relinquished when said task is completed...

memory is meant to fluctuate...disable QP and see if it ever bounces back. if not then it's a memory leak, if it bounces back, then your phone is doing what it was designed to do...
    I've tried that and no luck.
    question: why are you monitoring your memory if you have no performance issues anyway? a watched pot won't boil, and if you keep staring at it, eventually you'll find a problem with it.
    Actually, I used StormStat one day to get my PIN and noticed the drop in memory. I wasn't necessarily monitoring my memory.
    my suggestion is this: disable the auto reboot, and see how long you can go before performance starts to suffer...but don't monitor memory. just make sure you close apps when you're done using 'em, that's all...if nothing happens, then you're just one of the OCD memory watching sheeple on this site...and that is easy to fix. just stop doing it. if your phone starts to lag and crash, then we start to find out why...
    Again, I've disabled the auto-reboot and after the large drop in memory it's a steady decline of about 5 mb an hour until it evens out at around 17-20 mb.
    the memory is just a symptom, it's not the issue at hand. you wanna look at themes, apps, and larger than usual databases on your phone.
    Again, themes, apps, databases etc. are unchanged over the course of a couple of weeks. Then the memory began to drop.
    08-28-09 08:45 AM
    here's an idea: this has been an issue for much longer than you've noticed...

i'd suggest losing the hybrid, because we can't confirm/deny OS stability and memory management, then we can go through your apps and everything else...ya know?
    08-28-09 09:01 AM
    here's an idea: this has been an issue for much longer than you've noticed...

i'd suggest losing the hybrid, because we can't confirm/deny OS stability and memory management, then we can go through your apps and everything else...ya know?
    I just may.

In your experience though, if that initial drop and trickle (lol) can be fixed by a once a day reboot, and no other problems arise, might it be best to just keep the hybrid?

Even at 30 mb after the drop I'm still operating faster, smoother, with no apparent radio problems and with more memory than I ever did on a VZW release. The only thing I'm missing is the capability to stream music.

I haven't been able to find a build (official release or hybrid) that can offer performance, radio stability and memory stability.

Your thoughts?
    08-28-09 09:15 AM
    sorry, i hit 5k, i'm tenured now, i can be grumpy and straight forward. i've paid my dues, done my time, and i've been banned...twice, so i know the limits, and...to be honest, there's no excuse for having a question like this with all of the literature about memory leaks in the storm forum...there's literally a "how to" or a thread with a gazillion links to other "how to" threads in each forum and subforum around here
    i think we should all petition for the MODs to set up a 4th thread in "General BlackBerry Discussion" labeled "Memory Leaks". most bb users would probably see it since its right there when the forum page loads.

isuben- listen to the genius that is patches. maybe its a bad back-up or theme. I was using one theme that would eat up about 20MB in just half the day & no usage. i've also had issues w/ talklock. that would eat about 10MB w/in the day.
    08-28-09 09:17 AM
    You have too many variables. My process in the threads you've said you've read is meant to rule out variables. It won't take more than an hour, if that. You've already invested more than that into the issue. What do you have to lose?

08-28-09 09:42 AM
    i think we should all petition for the MODs to set up a 4th thread in "General BlackBerry Discussion" labeled "Memory Leaks". most bb users would probably see it since its right there when the forum page loads.

isuben- listen to the genius that is patches. maybe its a bad back-up or theme. I was using one theme that would eat up about 20MB in just half the day & no usage. i've also had issues w/ talklock. that would eat about 10MB w/in the day.
    I don't use backups. As suggested in many other threads, I re-install all apps from fresh downloads.

Also, I've never head any problem with TalkLock and there's no reason it should act up out of the blue.
    08-28-09 10:22 AM
    i'm not talking about 3rd party apps, that's a separate back up. i'm talking about the back ups made for the phone's databases. they could get corrupted http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/re...ed+memory+leak

do you back up data, settings, etc.?
    08-28-09 11:00 AM
    Nope. I always start clean. The only things I put back on my phone from one install to the next are contacts.
    08-28-09 11:03 AM
    patches and I are going to start a "troll' club against using hybrids lol
    08-28-09 01:09 PM
    one last comment, it seems like this guy isn't budging on the topic, so he'll just have the leak...

leaks aren't random, they might be unnoticed, or intermittent, but nothing is "random"...everything has a cause/effect...it's not leaking memory for no reason. you have a theme, app, or the OS that is causing the issue...i'd bet money that if you followed my steps, you'd find it and remove it and no problems would be had further...
    08-28-09 03:04 PM
    Hahaha...not budging. I'm out running errands.

Sheesh.

Sorry I'm not parked in front of my PC hanging on your every post!

When I get back home I'll try getting rid of the hybrid. Thanks.

08-28-09 03:17 PM
    you need to get ur azz back to the keyboard and "F5" until your snausages are bloody stumps, my friend!!!!
    08-28-09 03:38 PM
    Hey, you wanna come try to take my 13-month old off of the swings?

She's gonna object, even to you patches.

08-28-09 03:50 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD