But you'll have an easier time getting a new replacment with no questions asked (and without going through insurance) if you bring in the fried phone and the OEM charger that did it.

Besides, the OEM car chargers are probably the same or slightly higher in price then an after market one. If you pay $5.00 a month for insurance on your phone then paying an additional $5.00 or so for an OEM charger should be a no brainer.

I had a charger for another phone fail when it was yanked out of the cigaretter lighter so hard that the wires inside the adapter broke. I took it to the nearest VZW store and told them it didn't work and off I was with a brand new charger at no charge. Try doing that with an aftermarket.
    I buy all my aftermarket chargers from eBay. I got car charger, travel charger and leather case for $10 including shipping. All that in OEM version from VZ would of costed you $60-80. Insurance would be $70/month or $120 if there is a $50 deductible. I'll pass.

If my aftermarket charger broke, I'll go and buy another one for $5-6 including shipping. It still comes out less than a full priced OEM charger. I can order 4-5 aftermarket chargers before it comes out to the price of the OEM. As stated, Ive bought aftermarket chargers for all my phones and none of them have given me any trouble at all, died on me or killed my phones.

I'm the type that is all about OEM and prefer OEM just because of the quality (if available) but chargers, cables and cases isnt one of them.
    Last edited by y2bandit; 01-05-09 at 12:51 PM.
    01-05-09 12:49 PM
    I buy all my aftermarket chargers from eBay. I got car charger, travel charger and leather case for $10 including shipping. All that in OEM version from VZ would of costed you $60-80. Insurance would be $70/month or $120 if there is a $50 deductible. I'll pass.

If my aftermarket charger broke, I'll go and buy another one for $5-6 including shipping. It still comes out less than a full priced OEM charger. I can order 4-5 aftermarket chargers before it comes out to the price of the OEM. As stated, Ive bought aftermarket chargers for all my phones and none of them have given me any trouble at all, died on me or killed my phones.

I'm the type that is all about OEM and prefer OEM just because of the quality (if available) but chargers, cables and cases isnt one of them.
    Well I guess then you're lucky. This was actually just posted in another thread by a user named eddy4iu "...returned the 2nd because it was fried by a "Cellet" brand charger purchased from OrionGadgets. "

Here is the thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/sto...2009-a-129884/

To each their own.
    01-05-09 12:56 PM
    Sorry, posted in the wrong thread
    01-05-09 02:24 PM
    fyi.... hubby's company with 5000+ BB users bought them all new bb's about 10 months ago when they changed carriers. Lots of folks tried using non-oem cables since they already had cables that fit and they seemed to work. They had loads of battery problems, very few fried bb's but pretty quickly they had lots of batteries that wouldn't hold a charge for more than an hour or two. They sent out warnings telling their folks to use only oem chargers and the battery problems went away. Not scientific but enough proof that I don't use non-oem on my bb and I always used them on other phones I had.
    01-05-09 07:46 PM
    fyi.... hubby's company with 5000+ BB users bought them all new bb's about 10 months ago when they changed carriers. Lots of folks tried using non-oem cables since they already had cables that fit and they seemed to work. They had loads of battery problems, very few fried bb's but pretty quickly they had lots of batteries that wouldn't hold a charge for more than an hour or two. They sent out warnings telling their folks to use only oem chargers and the battery problems went away. Not scientific but enough proof that I don't use non-oem on my bb and I always used them on other phones I had.
    Thanks for the good laugh.
    01-05-09 07:55 PM
    After you fill up your car with gas, does your trip meter reset itself automatically to 0? That's what I thought... I guess since this is your first BB, it just won't make you happy until it even plugs itself in to charge, huh?
    Huh? Your example makes no sense. A more realistic example would be when you are low on gas, and your gas light automatically comes on and you fill up, do you then have to manually turn off the gas light? No, the gas light turns off automatically because the car has enough gas in it. Same with the phone. The radio turns off when the battery is low and yet for some reason does not automatically turn back on when the battery becomes high enough to use the radio.

Imagine a scenario where you enter an area, such as out in the middle of nowhere, or an underground tunnel and your phone loses service. What if it didn't automatically get service back when you entered into a service area? What if every time the phone lost signal, you had to turn the radio back on? That would be pretty ludicrous, right? And yet, that's basically what's happening here. Or what about a scenario where every time you do a battery pull, you have to manually turn the radio back on? Do you feel like doing that? Because I sure don't.

And yes, I am new to Blackberry, but I don't see how being new to Blackberry somehow makes this feature any less asinine. Just because every other Blackberry in the past has this idiotic "feature", doesn't mean the Storm has to continue the awful trend.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-05-09 at 08:54 PM.
    01-05-09 08:50 PM
    Talk about getting off topic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 09:26 PM
    HOW STUPID IS THIS???

my bb was at 10% and the radio was on, then i went to plug it in and it turns off the radio because the battery was too low. if i unplug i can turn the radio back on.

wow blackberry is gay
    01-30-09 06:53 PM
    wow blackberry is gay
    O.K. I am just going to sit back and watch the natives rip you a new one for this comment.

I feel that it's good to buy VZW products because as previously mentioned, if they cause damage to your device it's easier to get your phone replaced under warranty. And if you have a problem with the accessory you have a good warranty for it too. When you look at it, a new car charger will cost you $30, but the hassle of replacing an item every two or three months, jeez, I don't have that kind of time or patience.

P.S. I bought my original BB device in 2005 and the car charger has lasted me through three different devices and now I use it to power my Garmin (the charger that came with it konked out in two months). I think that is money well spent.

Next, I've had the radio issue less than 10 times since I got my replacement in December. I can also say that I only noticed it happen when my battery was extremely low and because of the time of day it went into the auto off mode. The next morning my device would power on but the radio would be turned off. Not a big deal for me, I go into Manage Connections and like magic (poof!) it's back on.
    01-30-09 07:14 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD