I've been reading a LOT these past few days about upgrading from .148 and have, what you guys may find a sorta silly question, but I'm a Noob, what can I say? ha ha

Can I upgrade to ANY newer version or do I have to upgrade in order? For example, first go to .151, then to .167, .173, etc..

Is there an upgrade that's BETTER than the others? Should I move up to the latest one? (What IS the latest one? ha)

Right now I'm having TONS of memory leakage issues.... so that's why I'm looking to leave .148 behind in a BIG way!

I also want to thank you guys ALL for being here. You have answered SO many of my questions as I grow with my very first Blackberry.

~Chris
    09-25-09 09:04 AM
    Nope. As long as its a full OS and not a hybrid you can upgrade to whatever you want. Just make sure to follow these directions
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/in...source-213706/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Aberk07; 09-25-09 at 11:20 AM.
    09-25-09 11:17 AM
    I'm sorry.... what's the difference between a full OS and a Hybrid?
    09-25-09 11:24 AM
    I went from .148 to .230 straight. Didn't install any other OS. Worked fine for me and I'm loving .230.

You'll see a lot of people talk about .167 which is a pretty recent leak from 4.7 but more people talk about .230 which is the 5.0.0.230 OS. Anyone talking about .191, it's the 5.0.0.191.

So to recap, latest version for 4.7 is .167 and latest for 5.0 is .230
    09-25-09 11:27 AM
    A hybrid is a mix of different os's. Basically a combination of files that make it run better or help fix compatibility problems with certain leaks. I myself upgraded to .230. I like it but like with this one, you have to install 191 to your computer then install 230 over it. A hybrid in sense but that is how it has to work.

Just keep reading. It is easy to upgrade. Usually a few handy threads out there that will answer questions you may have. Use the search but try to be specific.

Lastly, good luck! Let us know what you decide.

09-25-09 11:36 AM
    That was definitely not a quick question

09-25-09 12:07 PM
    That was definitely not a quick question

Quicker then most but you are right when ever they say "quick" question it's either very complicated or they have 5-10 questions in the one post.
    09-25-09 12:16 PM
    Lastly, good luck! Let us know what you decide.
    Thanks guys.... I'm gonna go with .151 right now because my biggest issue is memory leakage and from all that I've read, .151 seems to fix that particular issue.
    Thanks you all for your help. I'll post again afterward (hopefully) with a BIG sigh of relief!

ok.....here goes.................drum roll please......
    09-26-09 07:37 AM
    Well, I've been working on this for hours and I can't get it to install. I've tried everything and I've tried it about a million times. It just will not see the update and therefore will not install it. I've tried it using DM and using appLoader. Nothing. I've tried deleting vendor.xml. I've searched for the "hidden" one, too. Can't find it so I can't delete it. Yes I've searched hidden folders. Still can't find it. I'm so frustrated right now.
    09-26-09 11:43 AM
    I know this sounds kinda odd but have you tried it without being connected to the internet?

09-26-09 12:18 PM
    I was right there where you are a couple months ago so I know how frustrating upgrading leaks could be, but try this, it worked for me..

Uninstall anything you downloaded on your computer through the control pannel, after you delete the OS you already downloaded, make sure there are no other OS downloads on your computer, create a new folder on your desktop and label it...I just labeled mine bbos, then redownload the leaked .151 and save it to that folder, it makes it easier to find, then just follow the instructions on the "how to upgrade your os" thread from here, about how you have to run the OS file before you can install and deleting the vendor files and all, sorry I'm at work right now so I'm not gonna try to do it from memory, but i'm just talking about the steps before you can upload it to your phone. my best advice would be don't use the BB desktop manager for the install, and turn off (or unplug) your computer from the internet while doing the install, not sure why, but I was having problems with my install and I read to do that and it worked perfectly. .151 is fairly easy to install and it was a great place for me to start learning about how to do OS upgrades. good luck
    09-26-09 12:21 PM
    I know this sounds kinda odd but have you tried it without being connected to the internet?

hahaha we typed our replys at the same time.......

Great minds think alike I guess
    09-26-09 12:24 PM
    I did all that you suggested including disconnecting from the internet... and it WORKED! Whew.... The only issue is, I expected everything to be wiped clean from my phone and it wasn't. I also didn't pick up much memory either which is the whole reason I did all of this. After all is said and done I'm still only at about 28MB.

Can you please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    This is all that I'm running on my phone:
    Air traffic control game
    BB 4.7 core app
    BB 4.7 sys app
    BB app center
    BB attach service
    BB maps
    BB messenger
    browser
    Call of Duty 4 game
    e-mail setup app
    EmPower Central
    Facebook
    Fart app (I have kids.... ha ha)
    Flickr
    Google Maps
    MemoPad
    Pedometer
    Phone
    QuickPull
    Reversi game
    StormTorch
    TetherBerry
    Visual VoiceMail
    Where

Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    09-26-09 02:19 PM
    Glad to hear it all worked out, as far as the memory goes, I know games take up alot of space and it looks like you have a couple, but its not as much about how many MB you have free, its how the phone uses the available memory, the biggest difference you should see in upgrading to .151 is it should remain stable, ie. it won't leak throughout the day, i'm using .230 and i boot up at about 34 MB, and I have yet to drop below 30 MB, vs. .148 in which I would boot up with like 38 MB and in a couple hours be down to 10 or 15 or so.

If you want more memory, delete anything you don't use regulary, and see what happens.
    If you use everything you have on your phone regulary, and your memory is stable, you are good to go.
    09-26-09 02:48 PM
    ok... I'll give it some time and see how it goes. I did delete a few things already.
    I guess time will tell. I'm at 29MB now.
    Thanks for your help today.... I feel like you talked me down from the ledge. ha ha ha
    I really was ready to toss ol' BB into the pool and call it a day. ha ha ha ha :P

Thanks again!
    ~Chris
    09-26-09 02:52 PM
    Hey, my names Chris too, hahaha

I just know how it is, cuz I just started doing leaked upgrades about a month or so ago myself, so I know exactly how it feels, I was worried when I started and I didn't know if I would brick my phone, but then I was like, whats the worst that could happen, if anything, I would just really toss it into a pool and then pay the 50 bucks for lost/stolen insurance.

....and wait til you start messing around with all the stuff you can get here, its a little more complicated installing .230 cuz of the "hybrid" nature of having to install over .191, but when you get confortable doing installs, wait til you get to a 5.0 OS, it blows all the 4.7 OS's out of the water with what the storm can do.
    09-26-09 03:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD