I've been following all of these threads as well as looking at all of the videos people have been posting and I'm excited for the Storm. I have an 8830 and I really don't like to "shake the boat" without being sure that I know how the storm works. With that being said, I have a few questions for anyone that may know the answers.

1 - Can the storm be used as a Tethered Modem? I use the quite often and can't live without it.

2 - Is there any way to turn off the select and click? or is that the only way it works? I would rather click once, like the voyager and other LG touch screens and the track ball.

3 - When sending a text message, can the Storm be turned horizontal to have the full QWERTY keyboard or does it have to stay vertical?

That's all for now. Please respond if you know the answers to these questions. Thanks!
    11-16-08 06:34 PM
    1- Yes
    2 - Sure, just don't "select", just click. select is optional. you can always just click what you want, the thing is, you don't have to click unless you're sure
    3-yes
    11-16-08 06:37 PM
    So what's the difference between select and click? Is it like holding down your finger a little longer? Can you explain that?
    11-16-08 06:38 PM
    1) Yes the Storm is compatible with VZ Access Manager at EVDO Rev. A Speeds.

2)Not sute. Pretty sure you have to click to select.

3) You can rotate the screen for any typing input needed.

Hope this helps.

I've been following all of these threads as well as looking at all of the videos people have been posting and I'm excited for the Storm. I have an 8830 and I really don't like to "shake the boat" without being sure that I know how the storm works. With that being said, I have a few questions for anyone that may know the answers.

1 - Can the storm be used as a Tethered Modem? I use the quite often and can't live without it.

2 - Is there any way to turn off the select and click? or is that the only way it works? I would rather click once, like the voyager and other LG touch screens and the track ball.

3 - When sending a text message, can the Storm be turned horizontal to have the full QWERTY keyboard or does it have to stay vertical?

That's all for now. Please respond if you know the answers to these questions. Thanks!
    11-16-08 06:39 PM
    select is touching your option and it will highlight it. clicking it is well, clicking it. you actually have to click the screen to make a selection
    11-16-08 06:40 PM
    select is touching your option and it will highlight it. clicking it is well, clicking it. you actually have to click the screen to make a selection

How is a select and a click distinguished? It seems like its the same select, but only a second time..????
    11-16-08 06:43 PM
    So what's the difference between select and click? Is it like holding down your finger a little longer? Can you explain that?
    Entire screen is a button, so you point what you like, and then push screen to select
    11-16-08 06:49 PM
    But the screen is actually touched twice... or no?
    11-16-08 06:51 PM
    Whatever you put your finger on on the screen will be the active selection. It will not activate that selection (if it's an option/program/menu selection) unless you click down on the screen. You will not be able to execute a command without clicking the screen unless you're in the browser and want to zoom in... which is done with just a double touch.

There's a reason it's called Touch/Click technology.
    11-16-08 06:51 PM
    But the screen is actually touched twice... or no?
    Think of it like a mouse...you point the arrow to highlight something, then you click the button.
    11-16-08 06:52 PM
    So.... if I'm understanding this correctly, I would still be able to select something by CLICKING and bypassing the selecting. Back to my first question, do I HAVE TO SELECT. Seems like I dont. Right?
    11-16-08 06:55 PM
    I understand what you're asking. you're askign whether or not you need to select first, lift finger, press/click by pushing down a second time to make your selection work.

The answer is no, you won't have to press twice. When your finger touches the screen it instantly selects (aka highlights) your choice and as you continue to push the screen in it will then confirm that selection and open the program.

So basically in one fluid motion of pressing the screen down you will simultaneously select the program icon and, for lack of a better term, make the selection work (ex: open up your browser, open video player, etc)
    -Rik
    11-16-08 07:00 PM
    I understand what you're asking. you're askign whether or not you need to select first, lift finger, press/click by pushing down a second time to make your selection work.

The answer is no, you won't have to press twice. When your finger touches the screen it instantly selects (aka highlights) your choice and as you continue to push the screen in it will then confirm that selection and open the program.

So basically in one fluid motion of pressing the screen down you will simultaneously select the program icon and, for lack of a better term, make the selection work (ex: open up your browser, open video player, etc)
    -Rik
    You figured out the wording that I couldn't, lol. very well said. He is right.
    11-16-08 07:01 PM
    That's what I was looking for.... Sorry I couldn't explain it better, but yes, I dont really want to have to pull my finger up and then click again, when I'm sure what I want to do.

On another note, how soft is that screen. You said "push the screen in"... is it like the voyager or iphone? (is iphone a curse word on here?) What's the screen made of?
    11-16-08 07:03 PM
    So.... if I'm understanding this correctly, I would still be able to select something by CLICKING and bypassing the selecting. Back to my first question, do I HAVE TO SELECT. Seems like I dont. Right?

You do realize that the instant you touch the screen (even if you do the touch/click in one uninterupted action) that you're actually selecting... right? Wherever you touch on the screen, the select activates. Only way to click the screen and not select something is to put some gloves on.
    Sorry Alan... It's Sunday night.... I should be in bed!
    The screen is hard.
    11-16-08 07:04 PM
    The screen is hard.
    From what I understand now.... regardless.... if I just PUSH the screen to click it will open what I'm trying to open.
    11-16-08 07:06 PM
    From what I understand now.... regardless.... if I just PUSH the screen to click it will open what I'm trying to open.
    The screen is like one big "button" you have to physically click it. So as stated before, one fluid motion of putting your finger on something and pushing down should do what you're looking for
    11-16-08 07:10 PM
    I think i'm following, but i'm def going to just have to mess with it a little. I can't wait!
    11-16-08 07:11 PM
    It's pretty intuitive...I played for about 5 minutes and got fairly comfortable, I imagine within the first three hours I'm going to want it surgically implanted into my skin.
    11-16-08 07:12 PM
    Having never used one (yet) let me try to guess

touch - highlight (click)

depress click (double click)?

It this "correct"?

TIA!
    11-16-08 07:16 PM
    Some of you really need to watch some videos of this phone.
    11-16-08 07:19 PM
    I think since this is such a new technology for blackberry.... this touch click idea.... it's hard to put into words until it's used.
    11-16-08 07:20 PM
    Some of you really need to watch some videos of this phone.
    ditto... it really can't be explained any better than we've done it in this thread.
    11-16-08 07:27 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD